Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times

Advertisements

Given this economy, where can Americans like like Kings for hardly any money? Are there any cosmopolitan ones where people aren't eating rats, cats, or dogs? I always here places in South America. I stayed in Buenos Aires and got a nice furnished studio for 680 a month, but is there anything cheaper and just as much as a city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
In the land of the blind, you can be king, if you have one eye.

I rented a a nice little two-room house with electric lights and running water in a little town in Paraguay for $25 a month. There was a decent grocery store with everything I needed that wasn't available at the open market. It was about 2 hours on the bus from the capital.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._de_Atyra1.jpg

The problem is not affordability, it is residence visa. Paraguay seems pretty slack about that. I just got stamped in at the border, and nobody seemed to know or care how long I was allowed to stay.

In the southern summer, there are a lot of Argetines in Chile, and those vacation rentals are very cheap i the off season. Chile is lovely, and you can stay for 6 months without papers, then go to the border and re-enter. Make your visa runs in spring and fall, as the roads through the Andes can sometimes remain closed all winter. It would be perfect to stay the summer in Mendoza, a lovely Argentine city, and then the winter in Chile.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-17-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 01:48 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
I'm paying 8 US per night for a hotel room with good cable TV in Chiang Mai Thailand. Another dental appointment tomorrow. BO needs to stop printing money like toilet paper, and I will be living like a king again. Two years ago I was paying 78 usd per month including hotshower, cable, furnishings.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:26 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
You can't live as a king.. but you definitely can live a lot better on a lot less in India.. and most you wouldnt find eating dogs because they are vegetarians

Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Don't be silly Indians aren't vegetarians. They seem to have a higher portion of vegetarians so you see more restaurants clearly marked as veg or not but so many of their markets, restaurants, and street vendors sell meat that somebody over there has got to be eating it. I'd go further and say that the person eating it probably had a mustache.

Last edited by slackjaw; 10-17-2010 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I'm paying 8 US per night for a hotel room with good cable TV in Chiang Mai Thailand.
I love Chiang Mai. Hell I think everyone loves Chiang Mai. Mae Hong Son too, just because of the convenience of the airstrip I once flew MHS to Chiang Mai for under $20.

You know another place I enjoyed that is cheap but has lots of things that make life easier for a Westerner is Vientiane. I've never really investigated the possibilities visa-wise but even things like healthcare that would be more questionable you've got Thailand right across the river. Bonus = they can speak Thai and most places things can be paid for in any of Euro/USD/TBt or Lao Kip.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Don't be silly Indians aren't vegetarians. They seem to have a higher portion of vegetarians so you see more restaurants clearly marked as veg or not but so many of their markets, restaurants, and street vendors sell meat that somebody over there has got to be eating it. I'd go further and say that the person eating it probably had a mustache.

ahhaha well i wasnt being too serious in my response, but i will agree with you on the mustache part!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times
More, more!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Hoi An. It is a river town, cheap, beautiful beaches, can get Western food if you need to since on tourist trail, plus only an hour ride from Dan Nang's intl airport.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Hoi An. It is a river town, cheap, beautiful beaches, can get Western food if you need to since on tourist trail, plus only an hour ride from Dan Nang's intl airport.
Sounds great, but when I asked in Vietnam about settling there, it sounded like it wouldn't be easy, unless I had six figures to invest. You would think that those countries would be happy enough to have a rich American bring in their pension check every month, but they don't make it very easy.

The downside of Vietnam is that if you're a foreigner, they see you coming, and the smallest coin in circulation is the $20 bill.

The most livable little place I saw in Thailand was Pai, up in the northwest corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel