U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,155,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
It's not the flying part that bothers you. It's the dying part. So sit back, and listen to what I'm going to tell you. You are not going to die. Your plane is going to take off, fly across the country, and land without a problem. Just like the many thousands of flights do every single day. I know this, because it is my job, along with thousands of other fellow mechancs, to make sure that nothing happens. Your airplane is a multi million dollar piece of equipment that is maintained better than any other machinery in existence. Every single night we swarm our airplanes, we check all of the systems, we run numerous tests, and we perform preventitive maintenance. Airliners go into heavy checks, and are rebuilt to better than factory standards. Every single nut, bolt, and rivet is checked. Nothing is overlooked. We as mechanics know that nothing less than perfection is acceptable. Not only are our friends and coworkers on these planes, our wives and children are flying on them too.
Relax, enjoy the movie, and know that your flight crew, and your maintenance team are highly trained individuals that are devoted to getting you there alive, and cranky enough to complain about your lost bags. The person sitting next to you is probably one of our relatives.
Last time we flew was november, leaving manchester headed for tampa. we started to taxi down the runway, engines started to power up and boom plane halted on runway with an engine failure. My wife deals with panic attacks and this sure did start one, i listened for 2 hours about how we should take a bus home , we had another plane inbound from maryland to take us home. We spoke to the pilot and the original theory of a sensor malfunction was wrong , the fuel injectors went out . no worries we had a fresh plane incoming, and a crew that knew how to comfort people( like my wife) . our new plane landed , we boarded, landed in tampa safely. Anything electro/mechanical can and will break, but the airlines were great that day, they told us the truth, kept us ready to fly and yes, we will fly again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 02:20 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,468,779 times
As an aircraft mechanic I have to agree entirely with South Range. Just to let you know as well that even if something does happen on the flight that is scary (such as a loud bang) I still wouldn't even be that worried. Airplanes have so many redundant systems and are often designed to fly on a single engine alone in case of failure. The electrical, hydraulic, and engine systems all have backups to backups to backups. As far as your fear of Air Traffic Controllers and Pilots, they all have their own redundant safety systems. Although a large majority of crashes are found to be pilot error, it doesn't mean that pilots don't know what they are doing. Often in the civilian industry most pilots are former military pilots and have been run through the ringer with every possible scenario. Many of them have years of experience under their belt and are aware of just about any scenario. As someone else said, I'd be more scared of the car ride to the airport. Trust me, you'll be fine.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,902,125 times
It's almost noon on July 28th. SGFLUDD is probably in the air right now. Hopefully late tonight, or sometime tomorrow, we will get a report on how the flight went. The luggage will probably get there by Wednesday.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
It's almost noon on July 28th. SGFLUDD is probably in the air right now. Hopefully late tonight, or sometime tomorrow, we will get a report on how the flight went. The luggage will probably get there by Wednesday.
LOL. What airline do you work for South Range?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,902,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
LOL. What airline do you work for South Range?
USAir in Pittsburgh for the last 20 years. I refuse to call it USAirways, that's what Stephen Wolfe called us while he ran the airline into the ground.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
USAir in Pittsburgh for the last 20 years. I refuse to call it USAirways, that's what Stephen Wolfe called us while he ran the airline into the ground.

LOL! I just started at FedEx about three months ago. I'm enjoying it so far, definitely a far cry from military aviation where everyone is uptight all the time. Hardest part is learning all the new acronyms and trying not to look stupid when someone wants me to grab a piece of test equipment that they know by a different name than I do. Ah well, all in good time.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:03 PM

65 posts, read 324,171 times
To all who hate flying: Why not travel by train instead? You get to see so much of the big beautiful country landscape - that flying cheats you out of. Visit NARP's website and urge your Senators to support rail funding!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,113,560 times
Something to remember when flying is that air travel is actually the safest form of travel. Fewer people lose their lives on planes each year than travelling by any other mode of transport (and that includes walking).

Another fact to remember is that if you rode on a plane every single day, then statistically it would be 13,000 years before you crashed.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 PM

65 posts, read 324,171 times
Even without all the dangers, flying is still uncomfortable and you are more prone to sickness in an airplane. Also the worst pollutant way to transport.

If you want to see Europe, take a cruise instead!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:06 PM

330 posts, read 1,299,947 times
Default I Made It

Sorry for the delay
I didn't have a computer or internet access until a few days ago.
The FLIGHT was FINE!!!!!!!
Okay - here's the deets

So I started feeling anxious the day before the flight - but I resisted the urge to dive into my Xanax (I only had 6) - so I just kept myself VERY busy on that Thursday and Friday. So at 6pm on the 27th - I took my first Xanax - and it mellowed me a bit. It pulled me back from the edge of hyperventilation. Our ride to the airport picked us up at 7pm. And we got to LAX around 8pm. By this point - I'm starting to shake - but trying to hold it together. I was doing fine until we had to check the cats in - I didn't realize they were going to take me behind the counter and make me take them out of their crates. That's when I just lost it - and started bawling. I was more worried about my cats being safe than me. The person at the counter (obviously used to hysterical passengers) handed me a Kleenex without missing a beat.
We got the crates checked, the cats back in - and headed to security. So we get there - and someone yells BRAVO - and security people start running up the stairs and they block all the entrances. WTF?????????? (Bawling recommences) After about 10 minutes - with no explanation - they re-open. We get to the gate - to find out the plane is delayed by 30 minutes. So we go to find something to eat - I don't eat - hubby does. Then we browsed through the stores.
At this point - it's about 9:30 - the flight is supposed to board at 10:20. I head for the bar next to my gate - and savor a nice glass of red wine. Just as I finish up - they start boarding. (don't try this at home kids - you're not supposed to mix Xanax and alcohol - but desperate times call for desperate measures.)
By this time - I'm feeling a little fuzzy around the edges. Just as they call my group to board - I pop Xanax #2 and get on the plane.
Hubby and I get to our seat - to discover the person that was supposed to be in the window seat - didn't show up. So I took the window - and we had a little room to stretch out with the seat in the middle being vacant.
Just before take off - a flight attendant brought us to little pink cards confirming that both cats were on the flight and fine. BOY - that made me feel SO much better.
They started the safety presentation (a video) and I remember saying something to my husband about not taking out his safety brochure to follow along. He fell asleep (drug free) before the video was over (dammit - I hate him and his plane narcalepsy)
The last thing I remember is glaring at him and being pissed that he was asleep. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
The next thing I know - I felt some turbulence - and just as it woke me up - the pilot was saying we had started our descent into JFK.
Can you believe it???????? I still can't believe it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or