Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times

Advertisements

I had heard all these horror stories about Air Tran, but we have taken it for 3 different trips now with no problems.

A summarized version, and listing, from best down to the worst:
* Hawaiian Airlines (with great on-time numbers)
* AirTran (with the fewest mishandled bags)
* JetBlue (with good ratings overall)
* Southwest (with the lowest ratio of complaints)
* Continental (with its best overall rating since 2003)
* Frontier (with decent ratings overall)
* US Airways
* American (with the worst baggage mishandling score)
* Alaska (with overall low ratings, but good on-time performance)
* United (with the lowest passenger satisfaction score)
* Delta (with the most delays and passenger complaints)

Complete Report: (pdf file)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I too have flown Air Tran for 2 different trips some years ago without problem.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:29 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
I used to fly USAir the most and they were fine. My husband flies United with his work and whoa - their flight attendants and other service personnel are horrible! Jet Blue was fine - wider seats but shabbier than many commercial airplanes I've been on.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Well, if you're on Hawaiian Airlines, there's a good chance you're heading to Hawaii so not much reason to be pissed off, now is there?

We fly Delta 99% of the time, because of our status and mileage with them, and have never had an issue, never had a delay, many free flights this year and always a positive experience. I'm curious to know what kind of travelers were polled. We fly several times a month and have never had an issue. I'm wondering if those polled are once a year travelers that had one bad experience and told everyone that would listen.

JetBlue, on the other hand, is pure hell and we will never step foot onto any of their planes again.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We fly Delta 99% of the time, because of our status and mileage with them, and have never had an issue, never had a delay, many free flights this year and always a positive experience. I'm curious to know what kind of travelers were polled. We fly several times a month and have never had an issue. I'm wondering if those polled are once a year travelers that had one bad experience and told everyone that would listen.
So in other words, you are a gold or platinum medallion flier and you are surprised that you are treated well?

The problem with the legacy airlines is that unless you are one of their golden or platinum level fliers, they pretty much treat you like you are in steerage class. And their rankings pretty much reflect that. Would it kill Delta or United to treat the occasional flier as a valued customer?

The hotels understand that. You can go into a Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt and be treated like a GUEST even though you have never experienced the brand before.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The problem with the legacy airlines is that unless you are one of their golden or platinum level fliers, they pretty much treat you like you are in steerage class. And their rankings pretty much reflect that. Would it kill Delta or United to treat the occasional flier as a valued customer?

The hotels understand that. You can go into a Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt and be treated like a GUEST even though you have never experienced the brand before.
Yes.
That's why I'm *usually* not particularly loyal to any one airline, but have gone back to hotels that I've enjoyed.
I used to be quite loyal to Frontier, but then they quit flying out of Jax.
Kind of difficult to use an airline if they drop your city.
I will certainly fly Air Tran again.
However, the bottom line is that there are probably horror stories about every single airline. (Even Hawaiian.)

Old 11-02-2010, 04:47 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
However, the bottom line is that there are probably horror stories about every single airline. (Even Hawaiian.)
Yeah, I could tell quite a few horror stories about Hawaiian Airlines...

Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
It always bugs me a bit about Hawaiin and their great on time numbers. OF COURSE they will have good on time numbers. Look at where they fly!! Not much bad weather ever! They dont fly to any snowy destinations like Boston, Chicago or Detroit. Not many storms like Dallas or Miami. Just stupid to make that the main reason. Also the majority of people flying Hawaiian are traveling for fun/leisure. Which also skews the numbers. I am sure Hawaiian is great but still just had to put that out there.

American and Jet Blue are my top airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel