Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

Not to sound snarky, but are you guys just technologically challenged? We have a TomTom and use it on every single trip. We've used it in 48 states and 16 countries without a single issue. Never had it tell us to take a wrong turn, the point of interest feature is right on and we always get where we need to go without any problems. I hope you guys know that the maps need to be updated on their site on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Not to sound snarky, but are you guys just technologically challenged?
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm just old and prefer to do things myself, rather than let some idiotic high-tech gizmo tell me what to do.

Gimme a good map and about 5 minutes, and I'll beat you to wherever we're going and probably do it more efficiently.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm just old and prefer to do things myself, rather than let some idiotic high-tech gizmo tell me what to do.

Gimme a good map and about 5 minutes, and I'll beat you to wherever we're going and probably do it more efficiently.

If you were truly doing it yourself you'd drive without any map at all. Any non-idiotic person would use a tom tom and realize they can actually look at the route and even change it on their own with distance and times taken into consideration instantly.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
While my phone has GPS navigation, I don't really use it very much. The times I have used it, I did so just to see what it would tell me, since I was going somewhere I was already familiar with. For the most part, it was right on, but didn't always tell me the easiest route.

My preference for navigation, when I'm going somewhere I am not familiar with, is to use a map. I have used paper maps and atlases for many years, and still use them regularly. I do find it useful, though, to use the map feature on my phone. It links me to Google maps, where I can look at what I want, even if I don't have that particular paper map with me. I just need to be sure to have a good cell connection.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Pretty stupid of them to do that!!

Next someone will actually do what they say and end up getting hurt,etc...

Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I use my GPS all the time, because I constantly have to go to different places for my job. The wierd thing, is that I can go to the same house, 3 or 4 times, and not really recognize where I am, because I am not focused on looking around for landmarks and clues, I am just focused on listening to my device, and driving. It is especially confusing when the GPS gives you one set of directions going to a destination, and a completely different route going back, or when you go from point a to b to c then a to c. I personally think, that mine is possessed, and talks back with an "attitude" when it starts saying "recalculating" in a very snarky fashion.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I use my GPS all the time, because I constantly have to go to different places for my job. The wierd thing, is that I can go to the same house, 3 or 4 times, and not really recognize where I am, because I am not focused on looking around for landmarks and clues, I am just focused on listening to my device, and driving. It is especially confusing when the GPS gives you one set of directions going to a destination, and a completely different route going back, or when you go from point a to b to c then a to c. I personally think, that mine is possessed, and talks back with an "attitude" when it starts saying "recalculating" in a very snarky fashion.

When I moved to Miami I had to shut mine off for good because anytime i went anywhere I'd just plug it into my GPS and never learn my way around town. I dont even want to admit how long I went without knowing my way around

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Reminds me of the people who swore no one in their right mind would buy a home computer. Now, we have internet in our homes, on our phones, iPods, etc. Those idiotic high-tech gizmos are the reason you're able to post here in the first place!

GPS now come equipped in many cars and most phones have them. It's time to get with the times! Why lug around a huge book of maps when you can have it all on one device? It's time to go with the future or be left behind.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Any non-idiotic person would use a tom tom and realize they can actually look at the route and even change it on their own with distance and times taken into consideration instantly.
But that would actually take effort to learn how to use the device! Most just program the route and are done. They have no idea how many cool features these things really have! Either that, or they're old!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Love the "wrong way" stories..........

I have a compass in the car that I use more than anything, especially on out of state road trips - that and a paper map will always get me there.

Round "home" I always do a google map lookup then use their map to plot my OWN course, which is usually faster based on local knowledge especially as we only have 2 seasons here - winter and "road construction"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel