Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And that is the point. You're not supposed to exclude the human brain from the equation! No more so than you would if you were using a map instead of a GPS. If you do then you're guilty of not understanding the technology you are using or it's limitations.
A person who uses a map and dead reckoning goes in with the expectation that intellectual attention is required as an adjunct to the data presented, which is to be used only as a rough outline to guide rational logic. The electronic device gives a false sense that it is capable of overriding the logic of the rational mind, and thinking is to be placed on the back burner and kept warm only for emergency.

Each of us has his own free will, to decide how much we will exercise our brains and how much pleasure we will derive from doing so. And therein lies the difference between the two attitudes about electronic navigation aids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 02:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A person who uses a map and dead reckoning goes in with the expectation that intellectual attention is required as an adjunct to the data presented, which is to be used only as a rough outline to guide rational logic. The electronic device gives a false sense that it is capable of overriding the logic of the rational mind, and thinking is to be placed on the back burner and kept warm only for emergency.

Each of us has his own free will, to decide how much we will exercise our brains and how much pleasure we will derive from doing so. And therein lies the difference between the two attitudes about electronic navigation aids.
This goes hand-in-hand with what I'm saying. If a person does not take the time to understand the limitations of GPS (or any device whether electronic or not) then they will get out of it exactly what they put in. The only reason an electronic device gives someone a false sense of anything is because it is allowed to.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I use my GPS all the time, because I constantly have to go to different places for my job. The wierd thing, is that I can go to the same house, 3 or 4 times, and not really recognize where I am, because I am not focused on looking around for landmarks and clues, I am just focused on listening to my device, and driving. It is especially confusing when the GPS gives you one set of directions going to a destination, and a completely different route going back, or when you go from point a to b to c then a to c. I personally think, that mine is possessed, and talks back with an "attitude" when it starts saying "recalculating" in a very snarky fashion.

I also use a GPS for work, traveling all over the country. For me though, the next time I go to that place, I recall how to get to where I'm going much better than I used to when using maps. So I actually learn my way around faster with the GPS. Second or at least third time I return somewhere, I don't have to use the GPS anymore. For me, it let's me focus on the surroundings, roads and landmarks instead of having to keep an eye on a map all the time.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:05 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The electronic device gives a false sense that it is capable of overriding the logic of the rational mind, and thinking is to be placed on the back burner and kept warm only for emergency.
Only if you let it. I enjoy having the TomTom for assistance - I've enjoyed some "ride where the mood takes me" motorcycle trips, and it's quite nice to pull out the GPS to get a fix, a bearing and take off again. I could do the same with a map, but with motorcycling trips being an outdoors thing, maps can be a pain. Likewise with locating a hotel or somesuch in a new town. I've never taken its directions for anything but a suggestion.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Pretty stupid of them to do that!!

Next someone will actually do what they say and end up getting hurt,etc...
If people are that stupid, they shouldn't be driving.

I love my TomTom.

I live in Europe and travel somewhere 3 out of 4 weekends.
I used to spend all of my free time with maps and still get lost.
Now, I decide where I'm going, program my navi and take off. If I'm not in a rush, I set the navi to avoid the autobahns, or look at a map and decide on villages or smaller towns that I might like to visit.

I now spend a lot more time actually being somewhere rather than sitting on the side of the road trying to figure out how to get there if there's a stau (traffic jam) or road construction.

It's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
But that would actually take effort to learn how to use the device! Most just program the route and are done. They have no idea how many cool features these things really have! Either that, or they're old!
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
It is very hard to see street signs in a blinding snow. It is hard to see street signs in rural areas.

A GPS unit comes in real handy.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
To be fair to the thread we use a Garmin, but have maps for all states we will be traveling through in the glove box.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:42 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
To be fair to the thread we use a Garmin, but have maps for all states we will be traveling through in the glove box.
Is that because on a *map*, you can see *more at one time* ??
If *yes*, I am with you there.
Except I do it on my laptop, where I can easily zoom in or out.
On the laptop, I have a *regular* street map, and also a TOPO map.
Now with the latest doohickies on the market, I can use Google earth to *see* even more ...

Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Not to sound snarky, but are you guys just technologically challenged? We have a TomTom and use it on every single trip. We've used it in 48 states and 16 countries without a single issue. Never had it tell us to take a wrong turn, the point of interest feature is right on and we always get where we need to go without any problems. I hope you guys know that the maps need to be updated on their site on a regular basis.
Back in the day, we just used roadmaps. Even getting down to a city level, they had some sort of map to go by.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Is that because on a *map*, you can see *more at one time* ??
If *yes*, I am with you there.
Except I do it on my laptop, where I can easily zoom in or out.
On the laptop, I have a *regular* street map, and also a TOPO map.
Now with the latest doohickies on the market, I can use Google earth to *see* even more ...
To me, using a GPS system is akin to using a digital watch instead of one with hands: It tells you the specific information you need to know, but doesn't give you relative information at a glance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel