Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times

Advertisements

pilot-refuses-full-body-scan-says-tsa-doesnt-make-travel-safer

What the hell are the thinking they are going to find when searching the pilot? If a pilot wants to bring a plane down he doesn't need a bomb. These TSA goons are nothing but overpaid make-work jobs. They should be eliminated and returned to private sector. Worst mistake Bush made in his eight years in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
OK, then, what are the safeguards that a TSA inspector is not a terrorist, in a position to let another terrorist through the gates?

When you choose to live in a police state, these are the questions you need to ask about the police.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
most US commerical scheduled passenger airline pilots I met who don't like the body scans are because they are mules. They are worried about the drugs, jewels, or money they are smuggling will be found. Some mistakenly think the scans can determine if they are on drugs or been drinking which it can't. But most are just protecting their side business of smuggling.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
My husband refused the full body scan on Monday. Out of everyone in that line, he was the only one selected for additional screening, which doesn't surprise me one bit given his nationality. I applaud him for not giving in and they did a pat down instead. More work for them! He flies 2x/week minimum lately, and this was the first time they tried to make him use it.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
i did that bodyscan in ORD, it was kind of nice because i always have a ton of crap in my pocket.. but if i would have been thinking i probably would have refused it, they just said step aside i and was so tired i did what they said and didnt realize a thing until it was over

Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
most US commerical scheduled passenger airline pilots I met who don't like the body scans are because they are mules. They are worried about the drugs, jewels, or money they are smuggling will be found. Some mistakenly think the scans can determine if they are on drugs or been drinking which it can't. But most are just protecting their side business of smuggling.
and you have proof positive that any airline pilot/flight attendant refusing the scan is a drug mule...please do post it

May be it is just as this pilot stated he is weary of being man handled by security (glorified baggage handlers) every time he reports for work.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:46 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I think your comment is out of line. My husband works for an airline and I can promise you he is no drug smuggler, and would absolutely see this as an infringement of his personal rights. Obviously, you support the Patriot Act too?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 AM

74 posts, read 248,807 times
TSA = Thousands Standing Around!

I'm a pilot and refuse the body scan. I also love when TSA pulls the 80+ grandmother into the glassed "screening area" and give her a pat down. We've become a nation that wants extra security, but we misapply so much of it in an effort to keep the line moving! TSA still hasn't read the 9/11 report about WHO hijacked the planes I guess.

It's really quite ridiculous. I'm with Skyegirl!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paav8tor View Post

I'm a pilot and refuse the body scan. I also love when TSA pulls the 80+ grandmother into the glassed "screening area" and give her a pat down. We've become a nation that wants extra security, but we misapply so much of it in an effort to keep the line moving! TSA still hasn't read the 9/11 report about WHO hijacked the planes I guess.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:

I have maintained for sometime now that airline security has reached a point that is truly ridiculous. There is no way to make any situation absolutely safe. What is not considered with this monstrosity that TSA has created is any kind of calculation of indirect monetary costs involved on the traveling public. No sort of cost benefit analysis has been done. If it were done, the enhanced security measures would fail unless we consider the life of each passenger to be worth billions of dollars (a figure that is impractical in our society).

Imagine that every day in this country there are 100,000 top business executives who make one commercial flight roundtrip through a major airport. Actually this number is probably much higher than 100,000. Now, imagine that each executive is paid the equivalent of $300 an hour in wages and benefits. If the executive spends an additional thirty minutes going through security on each leg of his roundtrip flight than $300 is lost for each executive per day. If you multiply $300 X 100,000 executives than this means that every day $30,000,000 is being lost. If you multiply $30,000,000 by 365 days in a year than about $1.1 billion is being lost per year by just requiring this group to go through extra security.

This doesn't begin to describe all costs imposed due to increased security. There are millions of other passengers who lose time too who are not highly paid business executives. Of course, there is the huge cost of hiring all the people and maintaining the bureaucracy that TSA has established at our major airports. There may even be medical costs which occur in the form of people becoming stressed, developing higher blood pressures, or suffering other medical problems in an aiport they would not normally suffer.

What society ought to do is weigh the benefits gained by such a system against its true costs. If we were to do this, we'd see that we are using billions of dollars that could be used to do anything from building new schools and hiring teachers for children in inner city areas or to pay for preventative medical care for all the children in the USA. What many people do not understand is that by directly or indirectly spending so much on airline security we are giving up economic opportunities in other areas.

I hope--within my lifetime--we begin reacting rationally to the terrorist problem instead of out of pure hysteria. We could come up with other more economical means of providing airline security that might not be as foolproof, but could do most of the job in a much less wasteful fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel