Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 10,513 times

Advertisements

I'm considering driving from NYC to Orlando, over a two day drive. I'm afraid the drive will be too tiring for me to enjoy the rest of the vacation. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:53 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
This time of year particularly Jet Blue or similar is honestly a better bet than the I-95 freeway drone, unless you are traveling with a large family or entourage. If you really hate flying there is always Amtrak. The more people traveling, and the longer you stay in Orlando, the more sense taking your own car makes. If you have several drivers it does not have to be a real chore. Welcome to the forums BTW.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
flying won't be too much more than gas money, but my question is why orlando?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times
I used to drive down to the sw coast of fl. 2 times a year (around Easter & Veteran's Day), from 1985-1999, when I moved down here.
It was 1500 miles door to door.
I'd leave around 2a.m. on a friday/saturday (I worked til 10pm, go home, take a short nap, throw my bag in the truck & go)
If I drove straight thru, (which was most of the time) stopping at Roanoke Rapids, NC Truckstop (I think it was a Pilot Truckstop) for my bi-annual treat of country fried steak dinner in the wee hours, then sleeping about 3 hours in the parking lot with a travel alarm clock, it took me about 20-24 hours, with just stops for gas and cold drinks. I'd be wiped out for 1 day from lack of sleep.

If I did stop to sleep and stay somewhere, I'd stop around noon, (my eyes would be burning by then), eat something and sleep about 6 hours, then be on my way again around 8pm. But the stopping/sleeping really didn't help. I still was pretty wiped out for the whole next day.

I think I pushed it though. But I was on a mission to get here and see my much missed family.

I had 2 things going for me though. I had a CB radio and listened and talked the whole trip down. Plus I had a great sound system and great tunes to listen to. And I travelled alone, (except when I had the dog & parrot with me) so I travelled at my pace.
The second thing was when I travelled. There was very little traffic when I travelled - the middle of the night, or late night/early morning. It made all the difference, except on RT 4, in Florida. Always, always construction, even in the middle of the night.

The return trip was the same, except I would spend the day in Washington,DC, before I finished the remainder of the trip. (seeing the monuments or "Wall" at sunrise is awesome!)

Let me just say, if this is your first trip, estimate what you think you can do, then subtract a couple of hours/miles. Road fatigue can sneak up without you realizing it. And it's a deadly as drunk-driving. I saw a whole lot of tragedy for no darn good reason. And it's just not worth pushing it.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Ive driven to/from michigan from miami countless times.. its an easy drive and shouldnt leave you too tired, but I would definitely recommend flying depending on what you will be doing.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
flying won't be too much more than gas money, but my question is why orlando?

Why does it matter why he's going to Orlando? Doesn't change the question.

To the OP...start early in the morning and take a break every 2-3 hours. Make sure you get out and walk around. Stay hydrated and take nutritious snakes (lol I crack myself up!!! ok ok snacks!) with you.

People are always tempted to take junk food(me included) and that just makes you more tired.

Last edited by Granny Sue; 11-09-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: snakes don't make good snacks!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post

To the OP...start early in the morning and take a break every 2-3 hours. Make sure you get out and walk around. Stay hydrated and take nutritious snakes (lol I crack myself up!!! ok ok snacks!) with you.

People are always tempted to take junk food(me included) and that just makes you more tired.
Actually it does, if he will be visiting someone and will have access to a car/rides then driving would be a waste of efforts.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Too much info stated. He doesnt state where in NYC he is starting from (so we dont know where he crossing into NJ). So lets simply this. Getting through NYC,Baltimore and DC is the most tiring of the trip. Thus he should make this a two night trip to Orlando. Stop one around Richmond (shorter driving but more traffic) and stop two somewhere in Georgia(longer driving, but nearly no traffic).

Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post

Funny lady, I can't rep you again. LoL!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 PM

6 posts, read 36,797 times
hey. i'm 19 and i recently did that drive. i'm from south florida and i drove up to buffalo, ny.
the drive back wasnt bad at all. i actually did it in about 38 hours. once you hit, i beleive its i-95, its a straight shot. night driving is much more appealing to me because there are less people on the roads. get out every few hours rest your legs, get a soda or food, listen to the radio alot it will keep you awake. its a really pretty drive, ecspecially with the scenery changes.
the drive itself is pretty tiring but nothing you wont be able to recooperate from in a nice nights sleep.
the only thing that could be an issue is weather? i'm from florida so i dont know if roads get icy or anything already but thats really the only problems i see..

have fun! be safe!
=]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel