Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How do you get a woman to do that? My girlfriend complained about our $20/night hotel in Mumbai :P
You start out by marrying a woman that you met in a youth hostel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
How do you get a woman to do that? My girlfriend complained about our $20/night hotel in Mumbai :P
Not all of us are so high maintenance.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Not all of us are so high maintenance.
Exactly! My husband is more of the luxury type than me. He loves nice hotels and nice amenities (even if we don't use half!) Since meeting me, he's come to the realization that if we choose less expensive hotels and use Priceline, we can travel a lot more.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:53 PM

318 posts, read 870,379 times
Quote:
The "cheap alternative" is to Couch Surf and/or use other lodging sources.
My basic amenities were absolutely FREE.
It does not require great effort, and is a really good way to meet locals.
Do I travel the entire trip this way? No. But others do.
I don't think I would be traveling 1,000 miles on public transport in Europe, but that is neither here nor there. I am never going to get a Thai, Chilean, or Kenyan experience in Croatia or Portugal, now am I? The reverse is true as well.

Well, I did it for less than $30 in 1974 but that was a few years ago.
Listen, if your only criteria is money, then I salute you and your target budgets.
But IMHO it is ridiculous to reject Europe because it's not as cheap as Korea.
CouchSurfing!! Yes!!! That's how I found my accommodations in Jamaica (and didn't insist on going back to Uganda when people told me I needed $1k to live per month in JA, minimum). I also hosted someone while I was in Uganda in my $30/month apartment. Spread the love around. Participate in Couch Surfing!!

Nevertheless, it's usually only good for a few days, not months at a time as a traveler like myself requires. But do enough digging, don't be a "scaredy pants," and you can probably find what you're looking for if Europe is on your to-do list.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
CouchSurfing!! Yes!!! That's how I found my accommodations in Jamaica (and didn't insist on going back to Uganda when people told me I needed $1k to live per month in JA, minimum). I also hosted someone while I was in Uganda in my $30/month apartment. Spread the love around. Participate in Couch Surfing!!

Nevertheless, it's usually only good for a few days, not months at a time as a traveler like myself requires. But do enough digging, don't be a "scaredy pants," and you can probably find what you're looking for if Europe is on your to-do list.
Indeed.
There is also Crashpadder and AirBnB.
There is also word of mouth, which is what most of us used back in our youth.
I was couch surfing before there was a name for it.

We are hosting two Couch Surfers right now. These young guys were only supposed to stay two days, but we liked them so much that they will be here a week before they leave. They have a lot of interesting stories, including couch surfing in Caracas.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Let me simplify it. If a couple wants to take a 3-week vacation and has less than $2,000 in their budget after plane fare, to spend on the ground, Europe is not for them. Therefore, in response to the OP's title question, No, Europe is not for everyone. (Defining Europe, as I presume we are, as the Euro Zone.)

I just took a trip down Expedia Lane, and looked for Chicago/Dusseldorf, for three weeks in April.
Flight only for 2 = $1,664.
With cheapest listed hotel = $3,134.
So counting absolutely nothing except hotel alone, paying in advance for a full three weeks, the typical American traveling couple will be spending a bare bones minimum of $70 per night, not counting any costs for eating, ground transportation, anything. (The house I rent in Mexico is $70 a week, a 5 minute walk from the beach.)

Edit---It would be about $60 a night for Barcelona, and as low as $40 a night for Budapest. So Hungary would be doable, three weeks for $2K.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-16-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Let me simplify it. If a couple wants to take a 3-week vacation and has less than $2,000 in their budget after plane fare, to spend on the ground, Europe is not for them. Therefore, Europe is not for everyone.
JT. Dude.
We *already know* that Europe is not for everyone.
But we have gone to Europe (with kids in tow) and actually come home with money in our pocket.
You just have to know how to do it.
If you prefer going to places where it is already inexpensive, that's fine.
I just wish it was as cheap to fly to Europe as it used to be.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:04 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter1981 View Post
Is traveling to Europe for everyone? Would one be missing much if they don't go to Europe?

Anyone who is not interested in Europe and may find other parts of the world interesting?

Anyone consider Europe an overrated travel/tourist destination?
Going overseas is not a necessity for the "sun and surf" vacation market - you can lie on a beach with a beer in your hand in January or February in Cancun or Puerto Vallarta or even Miami. In my experience, this is the largest American tourism market and the kind of vacation with the widest appeal - among Americans and other nationalities as well.

However, Europe seems to be a perceived "must" for the more educated classes. It also is a great place for an American to begin their travels abroad (I do not consider beach resorts in Mexico or the Carribean "abroad"). It seems like everyone who has been to a more exotic place - whether in Asia or Africa or even South America - has also been to Europe. (Family visits of second-generation immigrants are excluded) Perhaps it's because Europe feels sufficiently foreign and distant to an American, but on the other hand the common destinations (London, Rome, Paris, etc.) are not likely to induce excessive culture shock in the first-time traveler.

However, as others have pointed out, it is an expensive continent to visit (or live in).

Old 11-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
JT. Dude.
We *already know* that Europe is not for everyone.
But we have gone to Europe (with kids in tow) and actually come home with money in our pocket.
You just have to know how to do it.
If you prefer going to places where it is already inexpensive, that's fine.
I just wish it was as cheap to fly to Europe as it used to be.
Right, but a first-time traveler doesn't "know how to do it", and after the first time, it's not a question of "does one need to see Europe at least once"?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:10 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Quote:
I just took a trip down Expedia Lane, and looked for Chicago/Dusseldorf, for three weeks in April.
Flight only for 2 = $1,664.
Hmm that's quite expensive. I try to use special fares, whenever possible. Sometimes airlines have some errorfares (mistakes in their booking tool or whatever), made it possible last year to fly from Dusseldorf to San Francisco for about 300 bucks (retour) and from New York to Frankfurt for about 350 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel