Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I did not realize that LAX had connecting terminals but then again, I've never connected at LAX as it is my home airport. Don't know anything about JFK or Chicago but I do know that Phoenix Skyharbor requires you to leave the secured area entirely to connect to a plane departing in a different terminal. That was not a FUN connection and I try to ensure that whenever feasible, my connections are within the same terminal.
We've never been to LAX, believe it or not. We usually fly to Europe, and JFK is the connecting airport of choice for us. This time, we're going to Vancouver so LAX is the stop. I guess once we start flying the other way, LAX and SFO will become second homes!

We flew to Phoenix in June, going to Puerto Vallarta. I'm fairly certain we switched terminals but did not have to go through security again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We've never been to LAX, believe it or not. We usually fly to Europe, and JFK is the connecting airport of choice for us. This time, we're going to Vancouver so LAX is the stop. I guess once we start flying the other way, LAX and SFO will become second homes!

We flew to Phoenix in June, going to Puerto Vallarta. I'm fairly certain we switched terminals but did not have to go through security again.
I know for a fact that Phoenix terminals do not have any type of transportation within the secured areas so you would have to go outside of the building and catch a bus to get to other terminals. Maybe your connection was in the same terminal? I don't know as I can only vouch for my experience. Since you have not been in LAX, I am almost certain you would need to go through security if you need to leave a terminal to go to another. LAX isn't as huge but there is no connections between terminals other than going completely outside of the building and catching a bus. As a precaution, I would allow additional time when making your connections since you are unfamiliar with the LAX especially if you are connecting to an international flight to Vancouver. I wished that we have a sky tram or some other type of intra-terminal transportation system to avoid having to go through security when connecting (Texas airports have these) but the only transport is the buses outside of the terminals.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 AM

688 posts, read 1,490,035 times
What I don't get about this increase of "security" is extremely invasive and intrusive at airports, but our southern border is a "hole in the wall, it's a dirty free-for-all".

Old 11-22-2010, 07:23 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
What I don't get about this increase of "security" is extremely invasive and intrusive at airports, but our southern border is a "hole in the wall, it's a dirty free-for-all".
...and 80% of the cargo on passenger/commercial flights is not screened. Welcome to the TSA hypocrisy.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Do you even have first-hand knowledge of your own experience going through a security enhanced "pat down" since the new measures have been put to place? Why are Americans presumed guilty until proven innocent as far as airport security measures are concerned? Why don't you read up on the 4th Amendment of our Constitution and get back with us about how legit these searches are?
Okay let's just presume everyone is innocent then, get rid of the metal detectors and luggage x-rays too. Wouldn't want to presume guilt now would we?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
You definitely have to go thru security if you switch terminals in Phoenix. They are separate buildings and there is no separation of transferring passengers vs. people arriving at the airport. It isn't even like LAX where it is reasonable to walk between some of the terminals.

It isn't an issue for the majority of passengers though since most transfer within same airline and the gates are grouped, as in Southwest will have all their gates in terminal 4, Delta gates are in terminal 3, etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
A pox on the idiots who plan to clog the system for their own selfish need for attention. The TSA is damned if they do,damned if they don't. I'll vote for safety, even if their methods aren't perfect.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'm not cheering for the scanners I couldn't care less about their success, but I will certainly call bull**** when I see it, like posters claiming TSA employees are pedophiles or thinking that talking about an opt-out day on the internet will create a significant event.
Well, they may not have many pedophiles working there now but if the current policies are allowed to become permanant then why wouldn't pedophiles apply? As, for opt-out day having an effect, it is far more than just internet chat and forums now. I hear it mentioned every day when I turn on Fox News. It's gone mainstream and I'm sure the other networks have mentioned it, even if only to deride it. I don't think it will cause major slowdowns because not everyone has to go through the enhanced security measures at most airports. However, that is not hte point. The point is to let TSA know that if they push these machines on us then those TSA workers are going to have to manually search each and every one of us. Those high-school droputs don't want that any more than we do (except a few sickos and pedophiles).

Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 PM

149 posts, read 259,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Seeing as how people have been trying to board airplanes with explosives in their shoes and underwear it it hardly unreasonable to search people boarding a plane.
Yeah, but what people? little boys and girls?...invalids wearing bags?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel