Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 11:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I had several friends fly out of JFK this morning and they all said the same thing, scanners were not being used. And, the editor of Conde Nast Travel magazine said the same thing. From their Facebook earlier today. They all must be lying!

From our editor Debi, heading to LA: Thought you might want to know that all is well this morning at JFK, American terminal. No full body scanners, no wait at the security checkpoint. It's shockingly pleasant actually -- at least right now.

We flew today as well, and didn't experience them either. Just the good ole metal detector.
fact of the matter is that several of the largest airports in this country had scanners up and running (O'Hare, LAX, Atlanta, Logan, D.C). this according to multiple news sites (NYT, CNN, Boston Globe, MSNBC). obviously, people were choosing to go through them. the vast majority of travelers actively chose not to opt out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 06:40 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I, and likely many others, were unable to "opt-out" as we did not have any plans to fly out today. A boarding pass is required to even go through security, you know.
Yes, I understand how airport security works.

So you got to type on the internet that others should inconvenienced for your silly little crusade, how noble. Were you at least one of those people standing out front with a protest sign being ignored by everyone, or was that too much of an inconvenience to support "the cause" too?

You guys can throw as many anecdotal experiences of not encountering a body scanner (as one could any other day) bottom line people's actions demonstrated how much the flying public cared about the protest and the body scanners.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yes, I understand how airport security works.

So you got to type on the internet that others should inconvenienced for your silly little crusade, how noble. Were you at least one of those people standing out front with a protest sign being ignored by everyone, or was that too much of an inconvenience to support "the cause" too?

You guys can throw as many anecdotal experiences of not encountering a body scanner (as one could any other day) bottom line people's actions demonstrated how much the flying public cared about the protest and the body scanners.
Honey, I had to WORK yesterday! I did not realize that voicing my dissent about the full-body scanners and invasive TSA pat-downs automatically means that I had to go out and protest! I love traveling and because of these new procedures, I likely won't get to go anywhere for a while and that makes me very angry and I have EVERY right to voice my opinions. By the way, it has been well publicized that the scanners were not being used as much on Wednesday so just how "concerned" is TSA really about "protecting" us from terrorist threats? This just proves that the new security measures are just for show and a means to control the masses. By the way, airports are not the only means of entry for these terrorists. Our borders are not even being monitored as they should and many Middle Eastern folks appear Hispanic! Chew on that one dearie!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Also, for those posters that are ok with the full-body scanners ... lemme ask you something. You do realize that going through the scanners does not automatically exempt you from the invasive pat downs, right? If any item you are wearing triggers the suspicion of the TSA official, you WILL be subjected to the invasive pat downs ALONG with going through the full-body scanner. With that in mind, how do you feel about the very real possibility of having your private area touched by a TSA officer while searching for "weapons"? Women, if you are wearing sanitary napkins or tampons, they may search you further to find out what that "foreign object" is - are you prepared to submit to showing TSA evidence that you are only wearing a pad or tampon?

Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Honey, I had to WORK yesterday! I did not realize that voicing my dissent about the full-body scanners and invasive TSA pat-downs automatically means that I had to go out and protest!
Point was many of the loudest were fine with others being inconvenienced for the cause, which isn't very hard if one doesn't have to participate.

Quote:
By the way, it has been well publicized that the scanners were not being used as much on Wednesday so just how "concerned" is TSA really about "protecting" us from terrorist threats? This just proves that the new security measures are just for show and a means to control the masses.
You take great liberties with the word "proof"

Quote:
By the way, airports are not the only means of entry for these terrorists. Our borders are not even being monitored as they should and many Middle Eastern folks appear Hispanic! Chew on that one dearie!
Chew on a false statement? I live in Arizona, go tell the hundreds of border patrol agents working the wall while you eat your turkey that it isn't being monitored.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Point was many of the loudest were fine with others being inconvenienced for the cause, which isn't very hard if one doesn't have to participate.

You take great liberties with the word "proof"

Chew on a false statement? I live in Arizona, go tell the hundreds of border patrol agents working the wall while you eat your turkey that it isn't being monitored.
Regarding opt out day, I would have gladly opted out of the scanner as I don't want to subject myself to radiation especially as it does not automatically exempt me from pat down. All I want is our government to see the insanity of the new procedures and how it violates our 4th Amendment rights. You seem ok with this so I figure you must be a TSA agent or a relative of a TSA agent.

"monitored" huh? Is there any full-body scanning or invasive pat downs going on? Sorry but I live in California and our state is full of those who have crossed illegally.

Last edited by Chatteress; 11-25-2010 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Addressed other parts of quote.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Also, for those posters that are ok with the full-body scanners ... lemme ask you something. You do realize that going through the scanners does not automatically exempt you from the invasive pat downs, right? If any item you are wearing triggers the suspicion of the TSA official, you WILL be subjected to the invasive pat downs ALONG with going through the full-body scanner. With that in mind, how do you feel about the very real possibility of having your private area touched by a TSA officer while searching for "weapons"? Women, if you are wearing sanitary napkins or tampons, they may search you further to find out what that "foreign object" is - are you prepared to submit to showing TSA evidence that you are only wearing a pad or tampon?
Good reminder. If you are one of those who have some circumstance that is going to lead to the so called pat down regardless, would you fly? I am and wouldn't. So now some of us are by definations "suspects". Hmmm

I have a feeling if the machines had been operating at full capacity there would have been a lot more problems. I hope that leaflets continute to be handed out at the airport explaining this situation as well.

I will not submit to some stranger acosting me by touching my private parts and squeezing and *twisting* my breasts. I'll not be responsible for my reaction to that. Nor will I let them hit me with a blast of radiation which will not only create a nude image but *violate* my personal privacy (and lead to more).

I couldn't protest at an airport but wish I could because this is personal. I love riding trains just for the experience, but would be greately saddened if this crap was applied there. And it will not stop unless people wake up. Rights are ours to keep and ours to give away. It's our choice.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Good reminder. If you are one of those who have some circumstance that is going to lead to the so called pat down regardless, would you fly? I am and wouldn't. So now some of us are by definations "suspects". Hmmm

I have a feeling if the machines had been operating at full capacity there would have been a lot more problems. I hope that leaflets continute to be handed out at the airport explaining this situation as well.

I will not submit to some stranger acosting me by touching my private parts and squeezing and *twisting* my breasts. I'll not be responsible for my reaction to that. Nor will I let them hit me with a blast of radiation which will not only create a nude image but *violate* my personal privacy (and lead to more).

I couldn't protest at an airport but wish I could because this is personal. I love riding trains just for the experience, but would be greately saddened if this crap was applied there. And it will not stop unless people wake up. Rights are ours to keep and ours to give away. It's our choice.
Where have you heard of that happening? Or is it an unfounded fear?

People gave their rights away a long time ago, are you just realizing this?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Regarding opt out day, I would have gladly opted out of the scanner as I don't want to subject myself to radiation
Better not fly then, you get more radiation at altitude than from the scanner.

Quote:
All I want is our government to see the insanity of the new procedures and how it violates our 4th Amendment rights. You seem ok with this so I figure you must be a TSA agent or a relative of a TSA agent.
1. Since people want to and have brought brought weapons onto planes it is a reasonable search, thus no violation.

2. I'm a software engineer and have no relatives that I know of who are TSA agents. This absurd claim makes as much sense as me accusing you of being a terrorist for being against the devices.

Quote:
"monitored" huh? Is there any full-body scanning or invasive pat downs going on? Sorry but I live in California and our state is full of those who have crossed illegally.
Yes monitored and yes there are some pretty invasive pat downs that occur.

I'm not sure your point about illegals being in California. Are you actually maintaining that since there are illegals in California the border is not monitored? By that misguided logic, since there are crimes there are no police.

I live in Arizona and have crossed at Nogales (many times) as well as Yuma, Naco, and in your state at Tijuana. I can assure you the border is monitored, your claim otherwise is full of fail. I'm not sure if you're being purposely obtuse or actually believe there are thousands of border patrol agents doing nothing and illegals are never caught at the crossings and in the desert. I hope it is the former.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Better not fly then, you get more radiation at altitude than from the scanner.

1. Since people want to and have brought brought weapons onto planes it is a reasonable search, thus no violation.

2. I'm a software engineer and have no relatives that I know of who are TSA agents. This absurd claim makes as much sense as me accusing you of being a terrorist for being against the devices.

Yes monitored and yes there are some pretty invasive pat downs that occur.

I'm not sure your point about illegals being in California. Are you actually maintaining that since there are illegals in California the border is not monitored? By that misguided logic, since there are crimes there are no police.

I live in Arizona and have crossed at Nogales (many times) as well as Yuma, Naco, and in your state at Tijuana. I can assure you the border is monitored, your claim otherwise is full of fail. I'm not sure if you're being purposely obtuse or actually believe there are thousands of border patrol agents doing nothing and illegals are never caught at the crossings and in the desert. I hope it is the former.
If the borders are being patrolled as they should, we would not have an illegal immigration issue in the millions. Sorry but not enough is being done to ward off illegal immigration.

To get back on track, have you personally gone through TSA since the new guidelines took effect? Have you ever had your privates groped? You do realize that the mere act of going through the scanner is no assurance against the enhanced pat-downs, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel