Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
I do understand your point re:workers. However, I would argue that this is the best way to bring public attention to the issue. It's borderline civil disobedience (of course, this is NOT illegal but it is the expectation of all people nonetheless).

Writing letters isn't going to bring public attention to the issue. This, if done in big enough numbers, might. Plus, rather than just "talk" through a comfy outdoor protest with a few signs, this is the actual "walk." And I think it says the following: we aren't going through your scanners. Period. Kiss my ass. I'm not so sure that a letter writing campaign ("bringing it up with the right people") would accomplish any of that. Plus, anyone and everyone can opt out of body scanners, so shouldn't TSA be prepared for that?
didn't say anything about a letter campaign. the answer is simple

don't fly.

tell the airlines you're not flying. do more staycations. take the train. drive more. obviously, many will have to fly for business, but many people fly for pleasure. stop doing that. don't fly out for Thanksgiving or Xmas. skype the relatives on the holidays. not only are the airlines as a whole going taking a hit, but popular tourist destinations like Hawaii will also feel the hit. these are the folk you go after, the airlines and tourist industry, the ones w/ the clout to complain the loudest. not the random TSA agent who has ZERO ability to do anything about this. frankly, this may be more difficult to pull off since people will rather just rant at the TSA and still go on their vacation than actually having to give up something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

don't fly.
Ah, yes. Let me never see my family again. 90% of my family is in Europe. 90% of my husband's family is either in Egypt or Europe. We barely have any family in the states, so getting into the car and driving to see them is not an option. My dad is not in good health and it's a matter of time before I have to go see him.

The only good part about going to visit our families is once we're out of this country, we can freely travel all over their continents without feeling like criminals.

Also, my husband travels for business 2 weeks out of the month. You really think it's ok for him to go through that scanner 4-6x per month? Writing a letter is worthless, the only thing he can do is opt out, something he's been doing since this ridiculous procedure has been implemented.

And don't tell me not to fly or keep quiet about security measures that were not in place when I purchased my nonrefundable plane ticket. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The illusion of safety is a powerful thing.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Ah, yes. Let me never see my family again. 90% of my family is in Europe. 90% of my husband's family is either in Egypt or Europe. We barely have any family in the states, so getting into the car and driving to see them is not an option. My dad is not in good health and it's a matter of time before I have to go see him.

The only good part about going to visit our families is once we're out of this country, we can freely travel all over their continents without feeling like criminals.

Also, my husband travels for business 2 weeks out of the month. You really think it's ok for him to go through that scanner 4-6x per month? Writing a letter is worthless, the only thing he can do is opt out, something he's been doing since this ridiculous procedure has been implemented.

And don't tell me not to fly. When I purchases my last 3 non-refundable plane tickets for upcoming travel, these rules were not in effect. I'm sure many others are in the same boat.
so what's YOUR plan? aggravate the hell out of people who are simply doing their jobs? continually engage in such protests that will likely only hold up the whole process for everyone? b*tch and complain to anyone who'll listen every time you're in a security line? none of these will even come close to solving the issue at hand

for the people like you that have to fly overseas, they may just have to suck it up for now and hope common sense returns. for the majority of people flying w/in the continental US, it makes no sense to whine and moan and yet continue to fly. folks like these have plenty of options besides flying-driving, Amtrak, bus, etc. sadly, people want cheap, fast, and easy. w/ airlines, you're not going to get all 3, not anymore

Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
This is pure BS..scanners, subject an 80 year old granny to this but because we've become a bunch of politically correct wimps we can't "profile" and pull out of line someone looking like a terrorist

They "profiled" my son in Belfast, pea jacket, scruffy beard, watch cap..looked the part of an IRA dude...pulled him out of line, patted him down double checked his ID. He wasn't insulted and realized why they did it
Yeah, but let me tell you, getting 'profiled' every single time you go to the airport because you have brown skin gets really f'ing old. Besides, some of these bombers were white. None of them were old grandmas, so I will let you have that one.

And if being profiled means I get to go through more radiation exposure than every other person there...that's b.s.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
so what's YOUR plan?
My plan is to opt out each and every time. That, according to the TSA's rules, is allowed. How am I aggravating them if they are the ones that made this rule? I refuse to step into that machine and it is my right to opt out. I'm not doing anything wrong. You have 2 options, step in or pat down. I'll take the pat down.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, but let me tell you, getting 'profiled' every single time you go to the airport because you have brown skin gets really f'ing old. Besides, some of these bombers were white. None of them were old grandmas, so I will let you have that one.

And if being profiled means I get to go through more radiation exposure than every other person there...that's b.s.
My husband is Egyptian. We have a field day every single time we travel. There is yet to be a time we travel where they don't pull him aside, it's ridiculous. Every single TSA agent in the US thinks he's a terrorist, it's quite sad. Me? They don't look twice and barely check my bags. Because a 5'10" Eastern European chick could never be a terrorist!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 AM

by aggravate, I meant the nat'l opt out day. nothing wrong w/ choosing the pat down and any TSA that opposes this or gives a passenger grief over this should be fired. but at the same time, people who choose this option shouldn't be giving the TSA agent a hard time either. like you said, there are two options. some people out there don't like either option, so I presented option #3: don't fly. those are the only ones left

Last edited by eevee; 11-16-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
by aggravate, I meant the nat'l opt out day.
I happen to be flying out of the country on a day they designated national opt out day. I only heard of it yesterday and made up my mind to opt out each and every time long before they designated a day.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

They shouldn't be profiling just because your skin is brown...for cripes sake they give LE classes in this...is much more than skin color, mannerisms,not truthfully answering a question

Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
by aggravate, I meant the nat'l opt out day. nothing wrong w/ choosing the pat down and any TSA that opposes this or gives a passenger grief over this should be fired. but at the same time, people who choose this option shouldn't be giving the TSA agent a hard time either. like you said, there are two options. some people out there don't like either option, so I presented option #3: don't fly. those are the only ones left
Uh, EVERY TIME I have opted out, they have given me sh*t. I always ask congenially and politely. And I get a lecture about wasting people's time, how the machines are safe (ok, you genius scientist, I know you're just working for the TSA for laughs between stints at the NIH, right?), yadda yadda.

As for profiling and mannerisms, I usually only travel for much-needed vacation, so I am usually smiling and friendly. I am a 5'6" medium brown woman...I'm a high school honor student, a girl scout, a physician, and I was born in this country. My ancestors have had a beef with Muslims before Americans even knew who they were. But for some reason, it's profiling EVERY SINGLE TIME.

And someone tell me how irradiating me in a Dallas airport makes any sense or makes things any safer when the OTHER airports internationally with flights INBOUND to the U.S. DON'T screen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel