U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 AM

339 posts, read 1,171,936 times

Advertisements

I recently forgot my laptop charger in a Country Inn and Suites. When I realized it was missing 4 hours later, they had checked in a guest into the same room I was in. The guest happened to be downstairs when I returned and she said she had not seen anything.

The next day I contacted the manager of housekeeping - actually, I couldn't even speak to her because she didn't speak English - and I was told they didn't see anything. Bull crap, and I'm SICK OF IT. Last month I had left a sterling silver necklace at the Courtyard Mariott and they act like it never existed.

But this time, I am very upset because I know for a fact it was left in plain view in the room and the hotel maids either took it or they left it there for the guest to steal, which is their fault.

I had to pay over $80 for a new charger that should have been put in lost and found. I just seen a New Mexico hotel law sign on the inside of my room door stating something along the lines that the hotel IS responsible for lost items due to the negligence of housekeeping when a safe has not been provided, as long as the item is not more than $1,000.

I'm just frustrated as I dont know what step to take. This happened a few days ago, less than a week...but I dont think its right to keep letting these hotels get away with not returning items. Should I write to the corporate or higher level manager?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 05:43 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,674,833 times
The hotel is not liable if you leave something behind. That's your fault, not theirs.

Mark it down to experience and keep better track of your stuff next time. The key is not to unpack any more than you need to get through the night and, when you're finished with it, put it back in the bag right then.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:58 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,373,292 times
You won't want to hear this but EVERY major hotel chain I've stayed with has a policy saying they're not liable if something is taken from your room.

My advice to you is use better judgement next time when leaving items out in plain sight and bring a suitcase lock to lock expensive stuff in your suitcase. Its common sense to put away expensive items at least out of sight.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,467,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
You won't want to hear this but EVERY major hotel chain I've stayed with has a policy saying they're not liable if something is taken from your room.

My advice to you is use better judgement next time when leaving items out in plain sight and bring a suitcase lock to lock expensive stuff in your suitcase. Its common sense to put away expensive items at least out of sight.
Unfortunately, mgt04 is spot on. From the hotel's perspective it is a he said/she said scenario. I spend a decent amount of time in hotels and always make sure I use the in room safe (most hotels, but not all, have these). If not, I either lug around my valuables with me (laptop, accessories, etc.) or use the front desk's safe deposit box.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM

339 posts, read 1,171,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Its common sense to put away expensive items at least out of sight.
well, what happened was....I unplugged my laptop and put it in my bag right away. Somehow I got distracted and the charger must have been left on the floor/table or plugged into the lamp.

Its not that Im careless. I've had this computer for 3 years staying in dozens of hotels, resturaunts, coffee shops and airports and never forgot it. But the one time I did...I never get it back.

Shame on the Country Inn and Suites....I've already chewed them out on trip advisor. I dont understand why you guys are defending the hotel. Are you saying, "if any guests forgets an item, its theirs to keep?" all those signs do is give the housekeepers more leverage to steal things. Now...suppose the hotel hired someone who is very sneaky and clever with actually going into guest's room and taking things? Wouldn't be such an easy thought would it?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:33 AM

5,027 posts, read 14,174,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Shame on the Country Inn and Suites....I've already chewed them out on trip advisor.
And this is why I take Trip Advisor reviews with a grain of salt. Really, blaming the hotel? It's your fault you forgot your charger, not the hotel's. It's your responsibility to ensure all your belongings are put away before you leave the room to check out. You seem very irresponsible, first you leave a chain in one hotel, then a charger. And then try to blame the hotel!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,467,563 times
Quote:
I dont understand why you guys are defending the hotel. Are you saying, "if any guests forgets an item, its theirs to keep?" all those signs do is give the housekeepers more leverage to steal things.
I don't think anyone is defending the hotel. The fact of the matter is if something is stolen from your room, you can't prove it. That is why they provide you with either an in-room safe or the ability to leave belongings in the safe deposit box at the front desk. Every hotel has a "not our fault" policy that you agree to by paying them to stay. If not, guests would be able to make up wild claims of theft in order to be compensated by the hotel.

Believe me, I would also be angry if something was stolen from me out of my hotel room. As much as it sucks, you really have no recourse other than to notify the hotel of the loss and give them the room number. They know who cleaned the room so with enough complaints about one staff member they may be fired. Other than that, I am afraid to say you are S.O.L.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:52 AM

4,919 posts, read 21,054,574 times
How do you know you didn;t have the charger caught in the luggage and when you left the room it fell in the hall floor and someone walking by took it? You would not belive all the people who forgot things in the rooms and got it stolen by the housekeeping staff, but dang, it showed up tuck down in the dirty underdraws when you get back home. Or what about all the cell phones that are stolen by housekeeping and for some reason it was found at the store you were at the day before it was lost? There are tons of lost items at rental car companies but the renter never checks there because it had to be stolen by them non-english speaking housekeepers. You have a bit of droppsy hands, don't you?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,624,396 times
Why would anybody want to keep a charger, if they happened to find it? It doesn't fit any other computer, thanks to the miracle of intellectual property laws. Logically, it just doesn't make sense that anyone would be motivated to deprive you of that property. Which leads to a supposition that it was misplaced or mislaid in some other way, not the fault of the hotel management.

There is no point contacting the hotel chain's headquarters. In all probability, the hotel is owned by an independent party and only has an agreement to use the chain's name and booking facilities.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 PM

15,177 posts, read 26,014,901 times
Quote:
I recently forgot my laptop charger in a Country Inn and Suites. When I realized it was missing 4 hours later, they had checked in a guest into the same room I was in. The guest happened to be downstairs when I returned and she said she had not seen anything.

The next day I contacted the manager of housekeeping - actually, I couldn't even speak to her because she didn't speak English - and I was told they didn't see anything. Bull crap, and I'm SICK OF IT. Last month I had left a sterling silver necklace at the Courtyard Mariott and they act like it never existed.
Forgetting TWO things in one month? If I were you, I would develop a check list so that you do not forget things in hotel rooms.

You are at fault, not the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel