Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM

188 posts, read 677,708 times

Advertisements

I am seeking suggestions from users here on where to go for our vacation in Feb 2011 ( Feb 18-21) for our 5 year anniversary.

We are based in Atlanta, GA and would be travelling with our 22 month old daughter. We have been to Smokies, Chattanooga, Savannah, Jekyll island and Orlando. Our main intention is to relax and have fun.

My wife does not like cold places and she has never shown great interest for beaches. I think she would be very happy if the hotel/resort has a daycare kind of facility that would take care of our child and let us have some quality time. But I'm not sure if there are any such hotels? Since it is for four days we can rule out other countries.

Places that come to my mind :

1) Las Vegas - Not sure how kid friendly are the tourist spots there?
2) Grand Canyon - Not sure if thats the ideal time to go there?
3) San Diego - Never been to CA. What should I expect?
4) DC Area - Besides cold, are the museums and other attractions kid friendly?

Please recommend any others that might fit my criteria?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Stay home and save your money. Seriously.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 AM

188 posts, read 677,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Stay home and save your money. Seriously.
Charles...Are you married?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pellur View Post
Charles...Are you married?
Yes, with four kids 11 and under. Traveling with kids is stressful.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,348,586 times
If it were me I'd go to San Diego for the warm weather, relaxed time. Balboa Park and the zoo are wonderful, lots of nice dining out. If you choose SD go to that forum and ask for suggestions.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,145,928 times
Of your options listed, I'd probably go for SD as well. Great weather, lots to do.

The Grand Canyon can get cold that time of year, but might not be...just depends. However, Feb. is a fantastic time to go to places like that because the crowds are a fraction of what they are during normal vacation times.

Washington DC and it's sights are kid friendly, but personally, I'd wait until the child was old enough to really "get it"---personally I think it's a place every American ought to see.

New Orleans can be nice that time of year...but parts of it are not, um, kid friendly.

Nashville can be a fun destination, but you being in Atlanta, I figure good odds you've been.

San Francisco is a great city to visit...weather is rarely extreme at either end of the spectrum there.

Honestly, looking at your 4 day travel time, some of your suggestions would be further than I would care to travel for. For example, the Grand Canyon, San Diego, and SF that I just mentioned--you'd essentially spend 2 of your 4 days traveling...I'd look for something closer, like Nashville, Ashville, NC (of course, it might be nice there, might be cold that time of year), Chattanooga has some neat things to see and do.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,242,621 times
I live in San Diego and it is very family friendly. That said, don't expect great weather in February. It *may* be 75, but it can also be 50, it's really hit or miss. There's also a good chance of rain. There are a ton of resorts that cater to families here, not sure about the daycare though. Checkout Loews Coronado Resort, they are very family friendly:

San Diego Luxury Hotel & Hotel Reservations at Loews Coronado Bay | Loews - Loews

Two more popular family resorts are Catamaran & Paradise Point.

Catamaran San Diego hotel & resort for premier accommodation

San Diego Resorts, Hotels & Spas | Paradise Point Resort & Spa | Luxury Mission Bay Resorts

Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM

3,481 posts, read 9,379,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Honestly, looking at your 4 day travel time, some of your suggestions would be further than I would care to travel for.[/spoiler]!
I agree. The aggravation involved with traveling via plane for such a short time is compounded when you have a 2 year old. I would have a close friend/family member watch the child at home for a night so just you two could escape for a closer to home overnight getaway. Have an adult dinner at a fine dining establishment, have a night out and do whatever you guys are into, and stay overnight.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,817,718 times
I have to recommend Miami, there, your kids will love the beach, youll love the great choice of restaurants and the laid back atmosphere (For the most part). It is very different from any other US city and you can get by relatively cheap. I would pick Miami over the choices from your original post any day

You can rest assured the weather in Miami will be better than 99.9% of the cities in USA during those dates.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,010,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pellur View Post
I am seeking suggestions from users here on where to go for our vacation in Feb 2011 ( Feb 18-21) for our 5 year anniversary.

We are based in Atlanta, GA and would be travelling with our 22 month old daughter. We have been to Smokies, Chattanooga, Savannah, Jekyll island and Orlando. Our main intention is to relax and have fun.

My wife does not like cold places and she has never shown great interest for beaches. I think she would be very happy if the hotel/resort has a daycare kind of facility that would take care of our child and let us have some quality time. But I'm not sure if there are any such hotels? Since it is for four days we can rule out other countries.

Places that come to my mind :

1) Las Vegas - Not sure how kid friendly are the tourist spots there?
2) Grand Canyon - Not sure if thats the ideal time to go there?
3) San Diego - Never been to CA. What should I expect?
4) DC Area - Besides cold, are the museums and other attractions kid friendly?

Please recommend any others that might fit my criteria?

TIA
Your priorities are misplaced. It's your anniversary and all you can think about is your kid.

Anniversaries should be when you and your wife reconnect as a married couple. Renew your love and devotion to each other.

My advice would to leave the little one with grandma and grandpa (or a reasonable facimile thereof), and head out with your sweetie where you can be together with no distractions.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel