U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 PM

13,818 posts, read 24,701,746 times

Advertisements

Airlines are starting to pull their fares from discount travel websites, notably American who pulled from Orbitz and was given the go-ahead A-OK form a judge today and Delta is starting to pull from the discount travel sites as well.

They want more control over their fares and want to steer more traffic to their own web sites where it costs less to book.

American Airlines Plans to Stop Displaying, Selling Tickets on Orbitz.com - Bloomberg

Delta pulls flights from some online travel sites *| ajc.com

Interesting development, can't say I don't blame them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 03:34 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,428,728 times
That sucks, most of my domestic travel I do a search on Orbitz then a separate one on Southwest since they don't list on it. I'm sure one of the more clever fare aggregation sites can still pull the fares together though.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM

5,477 posts, read 8,839,621 times
Looks like the article regarding Delta Airlines is saying they're only dropping 3 online ticket sites. Not sure what the reason is. We use Delta for transpacific flights, not to mention build airmiles, and usually book through certain travel agencies (not online) where we get very good discounts compared to buying direct from Delta.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 PM

452 posts, read 1,313,136 times
Many of these third party travel websites charge the airline per segment fees. In the case of American and Orbitz, every segment of your ticket cost American $12.50 when a reservation was with Orbitz. So if you booked a $200 roundtrip ticket with a connection each way, Orbitz charges American $12.50 each time you step on a plane ($50 bucks) in this case. In the airline industry where they are operating on razor thin profit margins, this is a lot of money to throw down the toilet for American who can't pass this fee onto the customer and must absorb the cost. If airlines weren't paying these fees to third party websites, they could almost use those saving to get rid of bag fees (they never will now that they know what a gold mine that is and that customers accept it).

There is also way more finger pointing when something goes wrong with a reservation and American says, "Well you booked with Orbitz!" and Orbitz says, "Oh no, but you are flying on American!" Much more simple to use a website like Kayak that pulls all the airlines' prices into one website and then when you go to book, you go to the airlines website.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,616,263 times
I don't book through 3rd party sites anyways, but I do like looking at orbitz because they show the itinerary along with the aircraft in a nice way. Other than that I only use 3rd party sites to find a wide range of prices from the airlines and then I go directly to their sites.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:08 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,213,398 times
the one of the major airlines made over 20 millions dollars in the socalled baggae fees that they charge for a single checked bag since the start of the socalled check baggae fee for checking a check luggage and say they are makeing no money the socalled board would be up in arms over them not makeing money and belive you would hear about the CEO changes at the major airlines in the US ..

it a b.s. what most of the socalled airlines charges for tickets and the extras on a flight ..they are makeing money hand over fist and if they say they are not they are lieing to you and the other general public who flys with the carriers around the states..

Old 12-23-2010, 02:05 AM

39,016 posts, read 21,587,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Many of these third party travel websites charge the airline per segment fees. In the case of American and Orbitz, every segment of your ticket cost American $12.50 when a reservation was with Orbitz. So if you booked a $200 roundtrip ticket with a connection each way, Orbitz charges American $12.50 each time you step on a plane ($50 bucks) in this case. In the airline industry where they are operating on razor thin profit margins, this is a lot of money to throw down the toilet for American who can't pass this fee onto the customer and must absorb the cost. If airlines weren't paying these fees to third party websites, they could almost use those saving to get rid of bag fees (they never will now that they know what a gold mine that is and that customers accept it).

There is also way more finger pointing when something goes wrong with a reservation and American says, "Well you booked with Orbitz!" and Orbitz says, "Oh no, but you are flying on American!" Much more simple to use a website like Kayak that pulls all the airlines' prices into one website and then when you go to book, you go to the airlines website.
I used to use Expedia for my travel reservation but the 1st time booked directly within airline, I wound up needing to change my flight time. Because I contacted the airline within 24 hours of booking, they did not charge me any change fees for changing my flight. Had I booked with Expedia or another third-party site, I would've been screwed! I will only use a third-party Web site if the fare is significantly cheaper to take the risk.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 AM

39,016 posts, read 21,587,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
the one of the major airlines made over 20 millions dollars in the socalled baggae fees that they charge for a single checked bag since the start of the socalled check baggae fee for checking a check luggage and say they are makeing no money the socalled board would be up in arms over them not makeing money and belive you would hear about the CEO changes at the major airlines in the US ..

it a b.s. what most of the socalled airlines charges for tickets and the extras on a flight ..they are makeing money hand over fist and if they say they are not they are lieing to you and the other general public who flys with the carriers around the states..
This Is Why I like to fly Southwest whenever feasible. Not only do they not charge for checked bags, they also allow passengers to choose their own seats on a 1st board 1st service

Old 12-23-2010, 03:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 14,373,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't book through 3rd party sites anyways, but I do like looking at orbitz because they show the itinerary along with the aircraft in a nice way. Other than that I only use 3rd party sites to find a wide range of prices from the airlines and then I go directly to their sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I used to use Expedia for my travel reservation but the 1st time booked directly within airline, I wound up needing to change my flight time. Because I contacted the airline within 24 hours of booking, they did not charge me any change fees for changing my flight. Had I booked with Expedia or another third-party site, I would've been screwed! I will only use a third-party Web site if the fare is significantly cheaper to take the risk.
ditto to these replies. I've only once booked a flight through Expedia and of course, it was that one time where I experienced massive delays (major summer storms and tornado warnings) and had to jump through hoops to get on standby for another flight over 12 hours later. I do believe the fact I booked through a 3rd party added to my issues (I was constantly asked at CS if I bought my ticket through the airline or a 3rd party seller). I've always heard that airlines are more willing to work with you in you booked directly w/ them. same thing w/ hotels. I just use Expedia to search flights, then make a note of the flight number and just book it through the airlines. sometimes, there's no difference, but on two occasions, I found CHEAPER flights on the airline's site. I find sites like Expedia and Orbitz is good for instances where you must book a flight, car, and hotel and prefer to do it at once

Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 PM

983 posts, read 4,251,870 times
I just read the article and it's funny I was able to book on Bookit.com for a flight on Delta. I booked on Dec 19 and it said Delta was discontinuing on Dec 17th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel