Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,375 times

Advertisements

very interesting and unique suggestions. i had no idea you could travel by offering to drive someone's car to another destination, but the more I think about it, the more it sounds like a great idea. Also, I'm sure working at a place like Yosemite would have been a fantastic option. If only I had thought of these earlier...sigh.

As an update, I got in touch with a few farms in costa rica and panama and we've been discussing some sort of an arrangement. As long as I purchase airfare 3 or so weeks prior to leaving, I can get a roundtrip ticket from NY to either San Jose, Costa Rica or Panama City, Panama for under $400, taxes included. 3 of the 5 farms I am in negotiations with will not charge for food or board, so I can feasibly save most of the remaining $160 for emergency/travel funds. I have insurance already, so that would help me with my costs greatly.

If this somehow works out according to plan, I will be very very surprised. Fingers are crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
You do already have a passport, right?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
very interesting and unique suggestions. i had no idea you could travel by offering to drive someone's car to another destination, but the more I think about it, the more it sounds like a great idea. Also, I'm sure working at a place like Yosemite would have been a fantastic option. If only I had thought of these earlier...sigh.

As an update, I got in touch with a few farms in costa rica and panama and we've been discussing some sort of an arrangement. As long as I purchase airfare 3 or so weeks prior to leaving, I can get a roundtrip ticket from NY to either San Jose, Costa Rica or Panama City, Panama for under $400, taxes included. 3 of the 5 farms I am in negotiations with will not charge for food or board, so I can feasibly save most of the remaining $160 for emergency/travel funds. I have insurance already, so that would help me with my costs greatly.

If this somehow works out according to plan, I will be very very surprised. Fingers are crossed.
Yes I had a kiwi friend do that for six weeks working for the Auto Driveaway company, I think some of it was paid, some was not. But he got to travel around to random places in the USA and stop here and there along the way.

IMHO I would not travel anywhere with $160 in emergency funds.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
Check out the other websites on the WWOOF site. There is one called workaway where you work for a room and food. There is a fee to join, some places don't provide you weekend meals, but check it out. I was planning on joining after the summer, and see what I can find.

But if the $560 is to include airfare, you are pretty much out of luck. I can barely fly across the country for that.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
If you're handling all this on your own between you and some farm make sure you get current info on Costa Rican and Panamanian visas. They change all the time so you need to be aware of the costs, length, and validity.

Example = Last time I was in Panama the tourist visa you could get at the airport was 30 days, so unless it has changed you would either have to apply for an extension or budget the money to make a couple visa runs to Costa Rica during your stay. You're also not allowed to work so would have to be on the downlow, if you somehow get caught the fines will likely exceed your $160 emergency fund.

If you're getting a work visa the farms usually have to handle paperwork to sponsor it and it does cost money so make sure they are covering it. Also make sure it is straight, because often the laws for work visas in third world countries specify it has to be a job that local workforce can't fill adequately... for teaching English that makes sense, but for picking bananas it doesn't. Again, one of those "if you get caught" things that is unlikely but if you are it'll become your problem not the farms.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yes I had a kiwi friend do that for six weeks working for the Auto Driveaway company, I think some of it was paid, some was not. But he got to travel around to random places in the USA and stop here and there along the way.

IMHO I would not travel anywhere with $160 in emergency funds.
Most countries won't even allow you across their border with so little in funds because they know you are planning on seeking work. I have several friends turned away at the borders of European, South AMerican, and Pacific Rim countries for exactly that reason.

The car drive services are pretty specific, you have to pick up the car at point "A" and deliver it to point "B" and only have a couple of days and a couple hundred miles leeway to do so. It's not like you can take someone's car for a joyride for a month across the USA and they'll pay for it. Also you generally need to provide a liability insurance policy and sometimes pay for the gas/tolls upfront to be reimbursed on the back end. Hotels are generally provided for each 12 hours of driving, meals are never included, and often the car is loaded with it's owners belongings, so plan on having only the front passenger seat as stowage space for your stuff. So for a trip from LA to Wichita you would generally be given three days/1600 miles with them reimbursing for one night in a hotel.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most countries won't even allow you across their border with so little in funds because they know you are planning on seeking work.
Seriously? I've never had anyone verify how much money I have on me. In my experience even countries with official policies that people entering must have x amount cash and evidence of return/onward travel don't bother enforcing it unless you look like a dirty dreadlocked bottom feeder. I don't even think I've ever even had more than a couple hundred dollars on me when crossing borders into other countries, often much less.

How would Costa Rica or Panama know that this white person was coming to seek work as opposed to the tens of thousands of others who come for touristing?

Old 12-28-2010, 02:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Seriously? I've never had anyone verify how much money I have on me. In my experience even countries with official policies that people entering must have x amount cash and evidence of return/onward travel don't bother enforcing it unless you look like a dirty dreadlocked bottom feeder. I don't even think I've ever even had more than a couple hundred dollars on me when crossing borders into other countries, often much less.

How would Costa Rica or Panama know that this white person was coming to seek work as opposed to the tens of thousands of others who come for touristing?
I was just reading a number of motorcycle trip reports thru central america and none of them had to demonstrate their financial stability.

However I will say that I have known a number of people of the backpacker variety that have been pulled aside in various countries and had to show proof of funds, especially if they had a working holiday type visa. Some countries like Australia with those visas you had to have around $4000 bucks in an account.

Countries like Mexico enforce their immigration laws harshly(which is funny considering the whining we have to put up with them as they expect us to not enforce our laws) and I've heard of plenty of stories of people caught working or "volunteering" under the wrong visa and ending up tossed in jail for a bit, hit up for bribes and their stuff basically stolen.

So my advice is know the laws of the country you intend to visit if it's more than a few weeks visa and especially doing anything that resembles working. Just my advice, I'm sure plenty of people get away with stuff and I know a few that have, but you don't want to be the one getting cornholed up the bum in a Guatemalan jail cause you can't cough up a bribe.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Seriously? I've never had anyone verify how much money I have on me. .... I don't even think I've ever even had more than a couple hundred dollars on me when crossing borders into other countries, often much less.

Yeah, In many years of weekly international travel all over the world, (work and play) I have never been asked to 'show my cash' (And I've only 'declared' stuff when returning home to USA, where I'm a legal (taxpaying) resident,) (unless you are packing some CIA cash for some unknown Middle East recipient )

That said $160 might not go far, but is about $100 more than I carry with me.

Sounds like OP wants an international experience. If they can get out and back for $400, that is a steal, I'd say they are resourceful enough to go. I would be very skeptical of a 'personal' agreement to work for food and lodging. I would have independent proof that works, and a plan B and Plan C.
There is some good advice in the posts above. Definitely check this all out! I am certain with the correct connections this could be good. One of my friends recently got a request from a German guy who wanted to work / apprentice for 6 months in a USA business. It worked well for all, and the visiting guy was a great benefit to other employees in transferring skills and raising the quality of product for the company.
Good luck!

With so little 'buffer' ($160) you best be in a really cheap (and honest) culture.

Do you have some 'plastic' to get you home in a crisis?
As mentioned, you could find yourself 'stuck' for awhile. (longer vacation, tho probably not much fun, but highly educational )

Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I know three people denied entry to the UK because they didn't have cash/credit cards and it was obvious they were going to try to work on a visitor visa. I also know someone denied entry into New Zealand for the same reason. A former coworker was almost denied entry into France last year for that reason, she was allowed in after the friend she was going to stay with signed a waiver stating that they would be financially responsible for her. One of my cousins was denied entry into a South American country (Argentina? I can't recall for sure) for not having the right documentation and not having enough cash to pay the entry AND exit visa fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel