Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,908,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Agreed, from your post I get absolutely zero sense of being elitism.

To each their own, I'm likely in the same socio-economic demographic as you are, I just feel there is a better and more diverse experience when traveling outside that instead of yet another fancy meal at the grand chateau.
And I've also eaten at small cafes in wee villages. Just not in third world countries as a general rule. My travel is based on what interests me just as yours is based on what interests you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Um, who invited you to a $560 travel experience? Seems we don't have a match here.

Annerk, so why are you posting on a Travel 4 5-bones?

We've all been convinced of your inept ability to contribute to this thread, since your grand entry #16, 20, 31, 33 ... Even the OP has had to flee

You can listen and learn on this free forum, but the GREAT contributions that were made on the first couple pages seem to have disappeared too!

Very sad, since the OP was probably not planning on joining the 'Royal Court' of Snobsville.

BOT... onward to delightful CHEAP travel experiences for $560.
Happy New Year and Grand Travels. to ALL
Actually the OP didn't flee. I've made some valid points, primarily that many countries will deny entry (and that plane ticket is non-refundable) if you don't have enough cash to sustain you on at least what they consider a modest standard of living while you are visiting.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
One thing you dont seem clear on is whether you are looking for a summer job or do you want to travel around all summer?.
I suppose if you pack a small tent,do a lot of hitch hiking, and exist on a spartan diet of rice and lentils, $560 might last you 3 months, Using Driveaway companies wont be feasible as they usually require a substantial deposit and in most cases you pay the gas.
getting the occasional day labor job might happen if you connect with the right person or organization,
teaching wont work as you would be expected to be there every day which would negate any traveling plus school is usually closed from late June till September.
Fishing could supplement your diet but each state or province will require you to buy a license, and if its commercial help you are looking at again its a summer job that wont get you travelling much..
Good luck and Let us know how it turns out..
I'd like to point out that hitchhiking is illegal in many states and in some cases you'll actually be fined up to $150 for it.

One possibility is to travel in California for about three months working as agricultural day labor. Generally starting in early August there are plenty of jobs to be had, and in some cases, inexpensive dormatory style housing is provided. The Fresno, Modesto, Sonoma, and Napa areas all have plenty of day jobs available from August through October, as long as you're willing to do field work. Even a minimal understanding of Spanish would be helpful.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,169,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My travel is based on what interests me just as yours is based on what interests you.
And that is fine, to each their own.

However let's not be under any illusion that someone who talks of only wanting to do something in their own socio-economic demographic and dismisses countries that aren't as "hell holes" isn't elitist, they are the very definition of elitist.

Quote:
I've made some valid points
Yeah, your sagely (and incorrect) advise that "Most countries won't even allow you across their border with so little in funds" was so helpful to the American showing up in either Panama or Costa Rica on an international flight was extremely useful. A++

Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Sheesh this got off topic, apologies to thread starter for veering and to annerk for focusing on her instead of the travel job dealie.

Again - my advice would regarding the Central America farming job is to be very careful with getting caught working on a tourist visa, and if you are getting a work visa make sure your employer is handling it paying for it. That makes no sense to me personally so I'd be pretty skeptical, why would they bother with the expense and time involves in arranging a work permit for a labor job that any local could do, even if they aren't paying you.

Also = I don't think you have enough money after airfare, but don't worry about being checked for money at the airport, it ain't gonna happen unless you look homeless.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
And that is fine, to each their own.

However let's not be under any illusion that someone who talks of only wanting to do something in their own socio-economic demographic and dismisses countries that aren't as "hell holes" isn't elitist, they are the very definition of elitist.
Not at all elistist. Most people porefer to travel within their comfort zones, mine is traveling in developed nations with the comforts and types of people I'm used to at home.

Quote:
Yeah, your sagely (and incorrect) advise that "Most countries won't even allow you across their border with so little in funds" was so helpful to the American showing up in either Panama or Costa Rica on an international flight was extremely useful. A++
I never said it was specific to the countries you mention--this thread is not all about you. it is true that many countries will deny you entry if you can't prove the ability to support yourself for the length of your stay upon entry.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not at all elistist.
You're fooling yourself because it is uncomfortable to accept that your attitude can be described with a word that brings negative connotations. When you only want to associate with what you perceive as a higher class and disparage what you perceive as lower class (like describing an entire country you've never been to as a hell hole) you are elitist.

I bet you'd have no problem associating with those who aren't in your socio-economic status if they were in a higher one, you just don't want to be around the lower ones. That is elitist.

Quote:
I never said it was specific to the countries you mention--this thread is not all about you.
No, it is about the thread starter, who had mentioned he was in contact with farms in Panama and Costa Rica before your first post in it. So not only was your comment wrong it was useless.

Quote:
it is true that many countries will deny you entry if you can't prove the ability to support yourself for the length of your stay upon entry.
You said most earlier, but to play along can you give an example of a country that will require me to prove the ability to support myself upon entry? I know some have it written down as a requirement, same with proof of onward travel, but specifically which country if I flew to right now and got off the plane wearing jeans and a sweater with a backpack on would require me to prove financial means? You said most so this will surely be an easy question to answer.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,619,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
there are a lot of truths to what has been said here.

if i show up looking clean, well-behaved, and non-threatening, I won't raise any red flags. I also wouldn't need to have a ton of cash on me, since they will understand why a traveler would NOT carry bushloads of cash on him, as long as I can flash a bit of plastic. For all they know, it could have $50,000 on it (disclosure: it, uh, doesn't).

I checked visa requirements. Costa Rica/Panama require something called "proof of departure." When you come in, you need to show that you intend to leave at some point too. So a round-trip ticket is prob the best way to go.

also, i've just been busy making arrangements these last few weeks. I'll be heading to Costa Rica after all. $360 round-trip ticket, taxes included on priceline. ticket is non-refundable and unchangeable. since my total budget was $560, I'll have $200 bux to spend. room, board, food all covered. i'll be pulling weeds out of the ground on a farm overlooking the pacific. it's a 25-hour week commitment and free time will probably be spent doing some legit pleasure reading.
Well let us know how it all turns out.

Personally I would have some plastic in case of emergencies. And travel insurance.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You're fooling yourself because it is uncomfortable to accept that your attitude can be described with a word that brings negative connotations. When you only want to associate with what you perceive as a higher class and disparage what you perceive as lower class (like describing an entire country you've never been to as a hell hole) you are elitist.

I bet you'd have no problem associating with those who aren't in your socio-economic status if they were in a higher one, you just don't want to be around the lower ones. That is elitist.
And that's where you are wrong. I have no problem associating with people in a lower socio-economic status, however I have no deisre to do so in a third world country. I love meeting people who work the land, the cook in a small cafe, the list goes on. I love learning about them and their culture. But there's a difference between meeting a shop clerk in Scotland or a waiter in Italy and meeting a craftersman in Haiti. (I HAVE been there by the way, and not just to some protected beach on a cruise ship. That experience is what will keep me from visiting the majority of undeveloped countries ever again.)

Bottom line, whether you'll admit it or not, most people prefer to associate with others who have the same interests--and intersts are often tied directly to socio-economics. Next you'll tell me I'm a bad person for wanting to persue my interests.

Quote:
You said most earlier, but to play along can you give an example of a country that will require me to prove the ability to support myself upon entry? I know some have it written down as a requirement, same with proof of onward travel, but specifically which country if I flew to right now and got off the plane wearing jeans and a sweater with a backpack on would require me to prove financial means? You said most so this will surely be an easy question to answer.
If you arrive in most of western Europe you will be asked specific questions about what you plan on doing and how long you plan on staying. If you don't present a return ticket for a week or three later, you will almost always be asked to verify that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while you are there.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well let us know how it all turns out.

Personally I would have some plastic in case of emergencies. And travel insurance.
I agree--travel insurance that provides for emergency medical evacuation is extremely important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel