Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM

132 posts, read 241,702 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to go this week but depending on weather it could be any day. I think Thursday the 30th is supposed to be the nicest, some sun, high in the 40s. I can't find elevation maps, and I haven't made the trip in awhile, but I'd like to avoid any snow and higher elevations if possible. So which is best: I-5 to Hwy 4 at Longview, and 4 to Naselle then 401 or I-5 to Longview and across to 30 and 30 to Astoria. I read that Hwy 4 is half the elevation of Hwy 30 and NOAA lists Hwy 30 highest elevation that part of the road at 350 feet. Snow levels shouldn't be lower than 500 feet this week, but still, I want to go the safest way. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We did that trip back from CA in June, 101 to 30 to 5, and I don't remember any high passes at all. We're supposed to get snow tonight down to sea level but that is further south and may not get anything. Still, always be prepared for the worst, you know how fast the weather can change in the NW.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
if speed / timing is of any need I would do this
Quote:
I-5 to Longview and across to 30 and 30 to Astoria.
I would just go south to exit 36 (SR432) then west to the Bridge (SR433)
then Oregon Highway 30 to Astoria.

Be sure to visit Hug Point ! (~3 mi south of CB) go on low tide (walk north from beach area to view waterfalls, pretty geology, and the 'stage coach road'). There are decent tide pools just off the side of that road. The beach to the north allows you to walk to Cannon Beach (on low tide)
hug point - Google Search

Gas up at Astoria Costco or Safeway, OR is cheaper than WA, but $.06 tax will added in Jan for OR. WA already is taxed plenty for fuel (#4 in USA)

Old 12-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Timing/speed isn't an issue. I just don't want to have to worry about the chain law in OR. From what I can tell online, the high point on 4 is about 250 feet and 30 is 350.

I LOVE Cannon Beach, and I've walked from midtown to Hug Point many times, and never knew it was 3 miles! I also didn't know it was the stage coach road--can you imagine getting horses around that!?

I just got a full tank here, and I know exactly where you're talking about in Astoria, so I'll take that advice.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley Wood View Post
I LOVE Cannon Beach, and I've walked from midtown to Hug Point many times, and never knew it was 3 miles! I also didn't know it was the stage coach road--can you imagine getting horses around that!?

I don't think the chain law will be a problem in that region or at that elevation (there is not really a pass there, so not sure that chains are required... I've never carried them in 28 yrs here, unless skiing)

The road was actually blasted by a rich guy who wanted to get his OLD car around the point. But horses used it too, as there was no 'tunnel' beyond Arch Cape, as there is now. Having grown up on Colorado and WYO ranches It is a pretty good road for horses. (but ez to slip on for us 2 legged creatures).

Have a grand time.

I often swing into the 'Sea Breeze' for Halibut Fish and Chips. It is just north of the exit to hwy 26 (on the 'Seaside' hwy 1 route from Cannon Beach). The owner is from AK and they have had very fresh Halibut and good chowder each time I've gone. (YMMV)

The Fish and Chips in Astoria is pretty good at the 'boat' parked just south of the Maritime museum, near RR tracks. This guy keeps strange hours, but if he is open, give him a try. he is probably doing a BIG business with the recent 'cannery' fire taking out so many Astoria mainstays.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-28-2010 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: tune-up

Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoting: "I don't think the chain law will be a problem in that region or at that elevation (there is not really a pass there, so not sure that chains are required... I've never carried them in 28 yrs here, unless skiing)"

Technically, chains are required on 26 and 30. State law. I've been across 26 a few times when there was snow (1800 feet, not a big deal, but still snowy & icy). I just couldn't remember if 30 was high or got snow.

Fish & chips! Those sound great right now

Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley Wood View Post
Technically, chains are required on 26 and 30. State law.
You can always fetch chains from Walmart or Les Schwab and if unused, return them when you get back home.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Got back today and for anyone who's interested, SR 4 on the WA side, elevation is 760 ft at KM Mtn and there was ice on the bridges and in some shady areas. I didn't have a problem because I just drove safely, cognizant of the weather conditions, but a yahoo who went blaring past me did actually cross the road and flip in a ditch.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:44 PM

IN case anyone checks this thread out for info, I did the HWY 30 side twice recently and the highest point is actually lower (650ish) than the 4 side, so I'll be taking it for now on. Easier drive, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel