Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 02:25 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times

Advertisements

Present and former New Yorkers,

How would you rate your experience with American Airlines or Delta Air Lines out of JFK and LGA? Which do you prefer? Which frequent flyer program do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:22 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
In general I prefer to fly out of JFK rather than LGA. Delta's service is not bad. (I don't have any recent experience with American Airlines.)

Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
We LOVE Delta! Between us, we fly between SAN and JFK monthly and only use Delta. We have status with Delta and had many free flights this year, booked using miles. We went to Turks and Caicos last week, and booked using miles. They still upgraded each of us to 1st class on both legs of the trip! What other airline upgrades reward travelers to first class? Delta is by far my favorite airline and we fly them, even it costs more than the competitor. Also, their AMEX is awesome and has some great perks. You'll get 25,000 miles when you sign up (we got 35,000 because they were doing a promotion) and earn miles with every purchase. Also, if you check bags, it's free if you have a card and you get discount access to their airport lounges.

AA is my least favorite, I never had a good experience with them!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times
Thanks for the input. When I lived in the Tri-State area, American Airlines was the big dog post-PanAm, TWA, et al.

It is difficult to decide between the two programs because American Airlines offers a debit card at CitiBank, while Delta offers a debit card at SunTrust which doesn't have a presence in the Tri-State area. American also has the built in alliance with British Airways which is what I use for most European travel.

Delta on the other hand has offered better service in my experience, and more destinations and more flights. Delta's program would also allow earning points on travel on Air France and KLM.

I'll have to look into the credit cards more. The debit cards are cool, I have a United Airlines at Chase and you don't have to pay any interest or worry about making payments.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I would choose whichever one you don't need to use LGA for, and better yet, whichever one you cna use EWR for--cheaper parking and a much nicer airport overall.

That said, you need to choose based on where you fly the most. In my case, 90% of my travel is between MCO and one of the following: PHL/EWR/ALB/BUF/PVD/BVT/BDL/PIT/OAK US Airways has more flights each day into those locations than any other carrier and usually at the lowest or near lowest cost, which is why I use them. It doesn't heklp you to have a gazillion miles with an airline because they offered a debit card through a certain bank if it's not convenient to use those miles on that carrier.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I would choose whichever one you don't need to use LGA for, and better yet, whichever one you cna use EWR for--cheaper parking and a much nicer airport overall.
I agree that it is better not to have fly in and out of LGA if possible. But if one lives in Queens or Brooklyn, it is very convenient to use JFK and not practical to use EWR.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I lived in Jersey for many years, EWR being my home airport and 10 minutes away. That said, we hated it and would go out of our way to avoid it. Parking at JFK is extremely easy, you just take the train to your terminal. In EWR, you have to rely on a trolley and the parking is nowhere near the terminal.

LGA is my 2nd choice, we'd drive into the city before we booked from/to EWR. I now use JFK since Delta flies there direct from my location every time I visit family. It's been quite some time since I've seen EWR and I don't miss it one bit!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I lived in Jersey for many years, EWR being my home airport and 10 minutes away. That said, we hated it and would go out of our way to avoid it. Parking at JFK is extremely easy, you just take the train to your terminal. In EWR, you have to rely on a trolley and the parking is nowhere near the terminal.

LGA is my 2nd choice, we'd drive into the city before we booked from/to EWR. I now use JFK since Delta flies there direct from my location every time I visit family. It's been quite some time since I've seen EWR and I don't miss it one bit!
It's changed a LOT and very much for the better over the past five years. You should give it a try again. You now take a train/monorail to some of the parking lots, although to be honest, parking "off-site" is generally significantly cheaper than long term economy.

And if you are traveling in the winter, many of those off-site places will have your car dug out and cleaned off when you arrive.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
It's changed a LOT and very much for the better over the past five years. You should give it a try again. You now take a train/monorail to some of the parking lots, although to be honest, parking "off-site" is generally significantly cheaper than long term economy.

And if you are traveling in the winter, many of those off-site places will have your car dug out and cleaned off when you arrive.
We only moved to San Diego in 2008...up until October of 08, that was our home airport so a little over 2 years ago. It wasn't great then and from what my family and friends tell me it's still the same way! All my flights to Europe were through there and it was a nightmare! I used JFK (had the choice of EWR) this past January to go to Europe and chose NY and had no issues there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel