Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:12 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,594,341 times

Advertisements

My SO and I have Southwest points to use so I want to get opinions on good places to take a trip. We want to go this March and stay for a long weekend. The first places that came to mind that I've been meaning to visit were Napa Valley and Maine. But I'm very open to suggestions. We're looking for a fun place and we don't have any other specifics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,941,000 times
Depends what you like to do...there's so much!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,852,352 times
Somewhere cold.. go to NYC, somewhere warm go to Miami or San Diego

Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 PM

16,371 posts, read 30,137,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
My SO and I have Southwest points to use so I want to get opinions on good places to take a trip. We want to go this March and stay for a long weekend. The first places that came to mind that I've been meaning to visit were Napa Valley and Maine. But I'm very open to suggestions. We're looking for a fun place and we don't have any other specifics!
Maine will be pretty cold and many of the tourist attractions will not be open.

Since I don't know your likes, here are some ideas:

San Diego
Houston - Livestock and Rodeo Show in March
Charleston is now a Southwest city

Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,709,167 times
Go to someplace really wintery. Duluth is a very nice city, and life goes on as usual there through the winter. It's something you'd otherwise never do in your lifetime, so here's your chance. Buy some warm coats at a thrift shop, since you'll never need them again.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:00 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,258,664 times
If you're looking for warmth, San Diego won't be it in March! It doesn't really get hot here until July or so. It'll be nice to walk around and such, but definitely too cold for the beach.

Napa is awesome, we go twice a year. If you haven't been, I highly recommend going, maybe couple it up with a few days in SF, another really awesome city.

Other awesome cities that SW services:
-Chicago-one of my very favorite US cities, I go back every chance I get!
-New Orleans-only if you haven't been, one visit is all you need!
-NYC-best city in the US, enough said!
-Cleveland-lots to see, great indoor market, good restaurants.
-Portland, OR-best food trucks in the country it seems!
-LA-awesome beaches, great food, lots to see and do.
-Orange County (tons to do in Laguna and Newport Beach)

Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,900,170 times
The Napa Valley is a great place to take a long weekend to. Fly into Oakland, not SFO. Oakland is a smaller, very manageable airport, and will cut off a good 30-60 minutes in travel time in each direction. Let me know if you want more info, I have a business venture that takes me there regularly, so I am very familiar with the area.

In March, expect cool to cold evenings in the 40's, and pleasant days in the mid-to-upper 60's. Later in March is nearing the end of the rainy season, and the mustard should be in full bloom, setting the valley awash with color.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,924,385 times
Chicago can still be mighty cold and snowy in March~if you want warmth and a long weekend without spending all of your time in an airport (I see you are from Houston), I would suggest New Orleans or Miami for the experience, as another poster said, you'll only have to go once. March might be college spring break time, so if you want to avoid that challenge, consider Seattle or even Santa Fe. Have you done Las Vegas?~it's great for a long weekend and the weather is much better in March than in the summer.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,643 posts, read 57,693,044 times
Napa valley is great in late March - mid May

Romance = Flying into (or out of) SF at night. Having a nice place to go 'in the city' (I use Ft Mason YH not so romantic), but had a view of Alcatraz from the room + free parking and 5 minute SCENIC walk to wharf! I have a difficult time finding a nice place in SF, so I use Guesthomes, often in East Bay. (If Marina Distict has no availability)

I usually fly into SMF (Sacramento), even when going to Bay Area. Due to it being cheaper ($39 for me) and I can often get rental cars for $12 / day on Priceline. 2 hrs to SF. (very fun and LOTS for free, new 'city walking tours' sponsored by library are very nice). Other stuff close to SMF and fun = Davis, Chico, Napa, Tahoe / Reno.

Northern CA coast will be nice too. The Redwoods is a fair drive (~5hr) from a SWA airport (Sacramento or Portland, OR) but nice for someone who hasn't seen. Yosemite, Sequoia, Lake Tahoe are all real close to SMF. Lassen NP is nice too (North, near Mt. Shasta) probably too snowy in March.

Other great places in March would be Portland, OR (spectacular coast, lots of garden parks) or Seattle, WA (inland water seaport + gardens) Both are fun (unique) have tulip farms nearby (might be too early in early March or in a cold year - this year). Good chance of cool rain (drizzle).

Vancouver BC is nice to (for international flair). Bit too early to venture to Victoria (flowers)

I think SWA is adding some new routes by March, possibly international (Mex, Canada).

Other March events can be the desert wildflowers (SE California / Nevada / AZ) It is very hard to schedule, as it requires RAIN to make them bloom.

If you end up near Vegas, don't miss my favorite thing there.
Nevada Division of State Parks - Valley of Fire State Park
valley of fire - Google Search
Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association

Have fun,

Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,257,337 times
If you want "fun" you can also consider New Orleans. In fact, Mardi Gras is in March this year, with Fat Tuesday being on the 8th. If that would interest you then don't delay in trying to find a room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel