U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,213,398 times

Advertisements

i have been watching a few socalled people packing video and i notice that they can do a one bag type packing in the video that they post and when it comes to somethings about packing the cloths really do a bad job of showing how the cloths is folded and packed into the bag for travel..

i use a TimBuk2-XXL Classic messenger bag for holding my work cloths and accessories items for the trip along with CoCoon Harlem sling bag to hold the Ipad with it accessories items for a couple of week of travel for work ..

but as watched the videos and notice that they only packing for a weekend type bag not for extend work travel only..

so do you watch them to get tips and see if you can pack the bag better for travel ..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 PM

5,027 posts, read 14,427,143 times
Nope, I have no issues packing. I only travel with a carry on, no matter how long the trip, so I learned to pack well at an early age!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM

26,589 posts, read 58,198,605 times
I generally only travel with carryon as well. Next week I have a business trip that also combines a casual event and a cocktail attire event. (Those are the worst to try to pack for.)

I'll wear one suit and pack the other, pack three silk knit tops that can perform double duty in the evening with jeans and can be washed in the hotel sink in the evening and be dry the next morning, one pair of jeans, underwear and hoisery (three sets, again wash out in evening and let dry overnight), a top and pants to wear to the cocktail event, an extra pair of shoes for that (ugh), pj's, toiletries, makeup, that's about it in my suitcase. All that fits into my Euro-sized carryon (smaller than typical US carryon). In my breifcase I have my netbook, all other electronics and chargers, paperwork I need for work, wristlet with cash, credit cards, etc. and a couple magazines for the plane that I leave behind as I finish.

I leave Monday morning and return Sunday, so it's a full week.

I do check a bag if I need to bring along supplies and a display for a trade show or convention, although I try to ship it ahead.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,428,728 times
I just do one backpack, if for some reason I really need to cram stuff in there just use ziplock freezer bags. Put folded clothes into 'em, sit on them, and seal.... turns your clothes into a 1/2 inch tall cookies.

Tradeoff = ironing hell if you need to look presentable.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,646,337 times
I never check luggage either, unless I will be traveling for leisure for an extended period of time. Last time I checked was when I was in Europe for 2 weeks for pleasure, not business. I can get all of my work attire for a week into a small carry on. I do the roll up method and most things stay wrinkle free. I always wear the bulkiest item on the plane to free up room (e.g. suit jacket, bulky shoes like boots, winter coat goes in the overhead bin, etc.).

annerk- having to dress up from standard business attire drives me nuts! Nothing is worse than having to pack special occasion shoes and outfit for a one time wear when traveling. Talk about a waste of my precious packing space!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 AM

26,589 posts, read 58,198,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
annerk- having to dress up from standard business attire drives me nuts! Nothing is worse than having to pack special occasion shoes and outfit for a one time wear when traveling. Talk about a waste of my precious packing space!
Sometimes I can get away with a semi-dressy pair that can pass both with a suit and cocktail pants (a peep toe for example) and then just a pack flat pair of flip-flop style sandals for the jeans. Unfortunately this trip is taking me to some of the coldest, snowiest areas of the country where I'm thinking dressy boots that I can pair with business suits or jeans will be on my feet most of the time, but I still need a pair of dressy shoes for this party--boots aren't going to cut it.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:00 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,213,398 times
the clothing i wear in the job interviews that we go and do in the diff areas of our company most of the time iam in a set up of drocker dress pants and l.s.dress shirt with tie an dress shoes set up and that pretty much our standard behind the scenes office work wear ..

i travel in jeans and polo shirt and hikeing boots to have the extra off work outfit to go and do something when not working along with my heavy duty winter barn jacket with gloves and watch cap for wearing in cold weather areas we are at ..

but the extra pair of jeans and shirt and two t-shirt and underwear and socks i take with me when iam traveling for a week or more is basically for the off time i do get when iam on the road .we work for five days saight then one day off and then a another five days saight..so my day off is spent droping off laundry to be washed and drycleaned and picking it up the next morning before i have to go back to work and then the rest of the day is mine to have fun going to eat and book shopping and the movies for the day then home to the hotel and get ready for the next round of work .. ..

i do travel with one bag for the week long or more business trips because of the shaveing kit i check the bag in of the size of the bottles inside the shaveing kit and it just easlyer to check it and take the sling bag with me on the plane ..i do take my electric razor with me on the plane along with small denture care kit inside a ziplock plastic bag for use if need on the flight ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel