Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I wouldn't no. I liked Kerala a lot, but I think Rajasthan is marvelous and would go back there in a heart beat!
Having said that Kerala's backwaters are really interesting and very different from Rajasthan. It has been a looooong time when I was there though.

I agree India isn't for everyone and it's good to go in informed and with an open mind. Then it's wonderful!

Awesome, I just checked out more pics of rajasthan and I have decided i will go there. I have never been in a full out desert before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

India is bad, no one is denying it.. but this site exaggerates it.
The pictures were probably taken many years ago and the source is highly prejudiced: China. The Chinese and Indians are enemies and you must realize the Chinese are motivated to portray India in the worst possible light. In fact I found some parts of China quite dirty and unsanitary as well.

Look, the India of 2011 is NOT the India of 30 years ago. I've noticed impressive improvements and modernizations in just the period of time of my first visit 12 years ago to my most recent visit. Believe it.

Yes, there is a lot of poverty. You will see similar shanty towns in most countries in the world: Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Brazil, Peru, South Africa, etc.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:26 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,158 times
wow!!! thanks guys for all your posts!
I have appreciated it!
I think that India is a wonderful place. Now, with your info, I can decide what places I can visit!
please, if you have other recommends for me..write me!

thanks again and..I wish you a great Sunday!!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,640 times
Clark Park, awesome photos you got.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The pictures were probably taken many years ago and the source is highly prejudiced: China. The Chinese and Indians are enemies and you must realize the Chinese are motivated to portray India in the worst possible light. In fact I found some parts of China quite dirty and unsanitary as well.

Look, the India of 2011 is NOT the India of 30 years ago. I've noticed impressive improvements and modernizations in just the period of time of my first visit 12 years ago to my most recent visit. Believe it.

Yes, there is a lot of poverty. You will see similar shanty towns in most countries in the world: Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Brazil, Peru, South Africa, etc.
I just got back from India 3 months ago, I was simply stating that you cannot base your decision of India on the Ganges, I said that is like looking at Dharavi and saying to expect that.

There is a high level of poverty in India and you have to know what to expect, but to look at the Ganges river in the worst spot possible is not what to expect in India regardless.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Jaipur and Agra are more or less a must see if you're in India, but I'd also suggest southern India. It's less congested(people wise), cleaner, you'll find more people who speak English if you ever get lost or anything, and the people tend to be friendlier(though you still probably end up paying more than the locals do for anything without a price tag lol). As it was already stated, India isn't for everyone but if you're open minded and adventurous, you'll probably have a great visit. I'd also recomend going during "wintertime."

Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,158 times
I have another question.
What kind of vaccines have you done?

thanks!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 AM

Tetnus, Typhoid, Hep A,Hep B and polio.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Tetanus should be kept up every ten years even at home. TPT (Tetanus, Paratyphoid and Typhoid) are routine for all travelers beyond western Europe. Every American requires a polio booster at about middle age or so, because the one you got as a child is not good for your whole life, but risk of exposure in the USA is near zero. You'll never be exposed to polio in the USA, but could be abroad. Yellow fever is mandatory in some countries, including parts of Brazil, but not for India. Hepatitis A is a common childhood disease in developing countries, and everyone who had it as a child is immune to is. Sooner or later, traveling Americans will get it (and then be immune to it), and it's not life threatening, and is treated only with rest and diet restrictions.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
I have another question.
What kind of vaccines have you done?

thanks!
typhoid is a must, my sister almost died from that in india.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel