Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
India certainly is beautiful, but I'm put off by the heat, the squalor, the wretchedness , the abysmal poverty, the beggars, the foul odors, the risk of dysentery.. I just wouldn't enjoy seeing garbage strewn all over the place and overflowing sewers. Maybe I'm not spiritual enough not to be able to overlook that.
I'll be working on my tolerance level, promise, but I may not succeed in this life.
Having visited, I can tell you that not all of India is like that. The best way to go is have Amex Concierge set up a personal guided tour, and do everything first class. They make sure you see the beauty while not having to deal with all the crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Where can you stay in the Maldives for $200 per night (for two, private bungalow): HUDHURANFUSHI / LOHIFUSHI ISLAND RESORT

Google it. Your best be is to look for surf package tours and then get the "nonsurfer" deal. That's how I got ours for $150 per night. This was 2009, so prices may have gone up some. I forget the name of the surf tour company I booked through. I think they were based in Australia.

Be warned, Lohi's is one of the most cheap and laid-back (read: lazy) resorts in the Maldives. I wouldn't go there if you are shelling out thousands to fly from the UK or something, but if you just want a cheap getaway (you'll need it after India if you're backpacking) and are paying $150 or so to fly from Bangalore, I couldn't find a better deal.

You get an AC beachside bungalow, free meals (okay, repetetive), free beer (cheap but hey, it's free!), and that's it. Bring some books, and your surf/bodyboard. The surf is great (you don't have to pay to surf out front, but boats to other breaks/islands are expensive) but it gets repetitive, the one snorkeling spot off the jetty is pretty good too. But it's a tiny island. Be prepared to entertain yourself somehow. Oh, and get fat if you're a nonsurfer, because you eat 3 full meals a day and then spend the rest of it floating around in the knee-deep lagoon, or barside pool.

The bungalows look nice, but the details are a bit grotty, the AC breaks down often, and the staff are pretty "relaxed" about catering to the guest's needs. Just keep calling and eventually somebody will show up after a few hours... or days. The toilets and showers are outside, which would be cute if it wasn't for the gigantic bugs. Again, no big deal if you're used to India hostels. Pretty darn relaxing, in fact. The water and sky are incredible to experience if the weather is good.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
India certainly is beautiful, but I'm put off by the heat, the squalor, the wretchedness , the abysmal poverty, the beggars, the foul odors, the risk of dysentery.. I just wouldn't enjoy seeing garbage strewn all over the place and overflowing sewers. Maybe I'm not spiritual enough not to be able to overlook that.
I'll be working on my tolerance level, promise, but I may not succeed in this life.
I've read that Kerala is not like that.

India is an large country with an incredibly large population (about one-sixth of the entire world!), so it's bound to be diverse. It seems like the most popular destinations in India (other than Goa and Kerala) are Mumbai and Delhi (for obvious reasons), and then Agra, Jaipur, Pushkar, Hampi, and Varanasi. These only represent a small chunk of the country.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've read that Kerala is not like that.

India is an large country with an incredibly large population (about one-sixth of the entire world!), so it's bound to be diverse. It seems like the most popular destinations in India (other than Goa and Kerala) are Mumbai and Delhi (for obvious reasons), and then Agra, Jaipur, Pushkar, Hampi, and Varanasi. These only represent a small chunk of the country.
If a person is flying into New Delhi, one itinerary I would definitely recommend is heading north to see The Himalayas. Stop off at Chandigarh (India's most modern, clean, and affluent city ... it has a gorgeous rose garden and also a weird mystical "rock garden" full of grottoes and sculptures; then on to the "hill station" or mountaintop town of Shimla - it is charming, walkable and has a fantastic number of shops, restaurants, cafes, and other establishments; then continue on to the green and lovely Kulu Valley which is full of fruit tree groves and the local cottage industry is making scarves and shawls ... and then finally to Manali which is surrounded by snow-capped Himalayan mountains, there is a wonderful Tibetan Market and Tibetan Buddhist Temples, and being an admittedly touristy place there are great and very diverse restaurants, night clubs, beer gardens, coffee shops, internet cafes, etc. Along the way you may also want to see the Hindu holy cities of Haridwar and Reshikesh.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:58 AM

13 posts, read 24,931 times
i have been to india last yr, aug...india is just incredible, at one extreme there is poverty while on the other there is richess! you must also get prepared to see things which u could not have imagine, people sleeping on the streets, people taking bath outside, children begging money and coming after u...etc, but a part from that india is just a fabulous place with cultural diversity, different ways of living and different styles of dressing!
Rajasthan is very interesting to visit, the land of kings and palaces, visit udaipur, jaipur, jasailmer etc...visit the palaces and enjoy shopping for crafts and leather products.
delhi is very nice for shopping, karol bagh, the street bazaar is very famous and dont forget to bargain for prices, palika bazaar is also ok.
visit taj mal, the red fort, kutum minar etc...
also i highly recommend u to search on the internet about the places to visit, wuld be of great help
Attached Thumbnails
INDIA - have you ever been there?-picture-083.jpg   INDIA - have you ever been there?-picture-097.jpg   INDIA - have you ever been there?-picture-142.jpg   INDIA - have you ever been there?-picture-213.jpg   INDIA - have you ever been there?-picture-079.jpg  

Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
Hello guys!
this message it's just to tell yout that I have jsut booked my trip to India.

this is my tour:
Place

Delhi
Varanasi
Agra
Jaipur
Jodhpur
Udaipur
Mumbai

after then, I wil return to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur that I like it) and last...2 full days in Doha because I will fly with Qatar airways.

thanks for all your suggestions!

ciao

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
wow!!! I have just come back and..India is incredible.....
It's another "world".

thanks for your help for all info!

ciao

Old 08-25-2011, 02:03 AM

13 posts, read 22,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
wow!!! I have just come back and..India is incredible.....
It's another "world".

thanks for your help for all info!

ciao
This has just been shown on BBC in the UK. Interesting insight for anyone else thinking of going to India. Part 2 not shown yet but I'll post the link after it is if anyone is interested.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM

387 posts, read 591,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hello everyone!
first of all, thanks to you for all your answers!
great!
Now, I'm very curious to see INDIA!

for this reason, I ask you yopur help to create a good itinerary!
We are a "young " couple!
I love a mondern city but I would like to see te real India.
I don't like a tour operator ; I prefer to create my trip self service

what is the best way to move from the different part? Train, car, flight...
Then, I would like to do a stop in Sri Lanka.

I have 3 weeks at disposal.

Thanks for your help!!!!
have a great day
Laura
Hey Laura I grew up in India in the mountains in Kashmir but been living in US for some time. It's beautiful there Though it was in turmoil for some time but for past few years things have improved a lot. Lots of foreigners go on trek from Kashmir to ladakh in the summer.
Here are some pictures of Kashmir that have been posted in Kashmir Forum
This is kashmir - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
Regarding India being dirty and unhealthy that's like 90% of the entire world
Even parts of NYC and DC are as dirty as India

Old 08-25-2011, 11:08 AM

387 posts, read 591,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacos View Post
This has just been shown on BBC in the UK. Interesting insight for anyone else thinking of going to India. Part 2 not shown yet but I'll post the link after it is if anyone is interested.
The Palace on wheels is a luxury train and cost around $500 per day and you are treated like a King on the plane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel