U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,639,890 times

Advertisements

Hello guys,
I'm curious to see INDIA.
Have you ever been to India?
In what period?

what plaeces did you see?
Any suggests?

Have a great day
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 AM

15,020 posts, read 21,860,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hello guys,
I'm curious to see INDIA.
Have you ever been to India?
In what period?

what plaeces did you see?
Any suggests?

Have a great day
Answer to your questions:
Been to India? - yes
Period? - twice in the last year
What did you see? - Well lets see, trash, pollution, dust, dirt, people living in the streets in filth, people sleeping on sidewalks, people defecating in rivers and streams (then down the road people bathing in same streams), beggers pounding on my taxi window for rupees, wall to wall traffic, etc. Livestock eating trash and walking in traffic, Oh and 10 hours a day in a typical "outsource" company office smelling curry and body odor. That was Delhi.

LOL, you can see my experience may be a bit different from others, I was there on business. I did see some beautiful and amazing things - The Taj for one. Looks like I will be traveling to India a couple times a year as long as I stay in my current job. Yay me.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM

13,218 posts, read 27,073,219 times
Nope & not even on my travel radar
From anyone I know personally who has been there the place is beyond filthy....no thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 AM

4,307 posts, read 12,812,011 times
I was there many years ago when my family lived in Nepal. Yes, the cities are filthy but once you get out into the countryside you will see incredible beauty (along with incredible poverty alongside incredible wealth). It's a place people love or hate and I think you can only know by going there. I do recommend seeing the Taj, Fatehpur Sikri, the palaces of Jaipur and (if possible) Srinagar.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 AM

22,630 posts, read 13,951,191 times
I have been to India 4 times in the last 12 years. My first trip was just for a few days - but the following trips were for 6 weeks, 2 months and 3 full months traveling all over that country.

As far as all of the negative comments I will say that besides the poverty - not unlike Mexico, Brazil, Egypt, South Africa, Indonesia, Peru, Guatamala, Jamaica, etc. there are also beautiful places, gorgeous scenery and amazing historical monuments. The big cities are modernizing and slums are being bulldozed and soaring modern skyscrapers that would do any American city credit are rising everywhere.

My older brother in Tampa asked me what I would advise for a first time trip to India for 10 - 14 days. My answer is, fly to New Delhi and spend a few days taking in the sights like Lodi Gardens, Humayun's Tomb, the Pahar Ganj street bazaar; then hire a car and driver to tour the nearby state of Rajastan to see the blue city of Jodhpur, the pink city of Jaipur, the white city of Udaipur, the beautiful Jain temple of Ranakpur, etc. That should take a week. Then a couple of days in Agra to see the Taj Mahal and the Red Fort. It will be the trip of a lifetime!

In northern India - the Golden Temple in Amritsar:

Now this is me a few years ago (I've since lost a bit of weight, so I'm not as chubby anymore) in front of the Taj Mahal:

Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 AM

22,630 posts, read 13,951,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Nope & not even on my travel radar
From anyone I know personally who has been there the place is beyond filthy....no thanks
To each his own. Since 9/10 of the world is "filthy" by the definition of this person you know, may I suggest you limit your travel plans to Canada, Sweden and Switzerland and stay away from the rest of the world.

Personally I was enthralled by the beauty, splendor, and architecture of India. Foreign cultures I find interesting and I am not offended by people are poorer than me.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM

5,027 posts, read 14,633,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
To each his own. Since 9/10 of the world is "filthy" by the definition of this person you know, may I suggest you limit your travel plans to Canada, Sweden and Switzerland and stay away from the rest of the world.

Personally I was enthralled by the beauty, splendor, and architecture of India. Foreign cultures I find interesting and I am not offended by people are poorer than me.
Excellent comment! We haven't yet been, but both my husband and I have lots friends that are from India, and several of them work in London half the year, India the other half. They keep inviting us to visit, and we will definitely take them up on that offer! I can't imagine writing off a place BEFORE visiting based on what others have told you.

I've been to my share of "dirty" places (as defined by others prior to my trip) and not only were those were my favorite trips, it was highly exaggerated that it was dirty. I guess when people's travel are only to Europe, Canada, US and Caribbean, anything that doesn't fit a similar description must not be good.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:24 AM

26,589 posts, read 59,088,800 times
It's not even on my radar. Not even close.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 AM

2,367 posts, read 3,352,504 times
It takes a different kind of traveller to want to visit India. Even before going there, you really need to brace yourself for the most extreme experience you can imagine, especially if you're born and brought up in a western country. Yes, India is filthy beyond anything I've seen in Asia (I'm not talking Hongkong or Singapore here, but places with dense population like China and Indonesia). Black crows were everywhere, they're the first ones that woke me up in the morning and the last ones I heard before I fell asleep. I could smell the offending aroma of raw sewage all along the highway from the Mumbai airport. So you get the point.

Having said that, I consider myself lucky to have visited 3 cities in India: Calcutta, Mumbai / Bombay, and Goa. I tend to avoid the touristy places when I travel, so what I've seen maybe slightly different than what other tourists have seen. One thing about India that I admire is the people. They're some of the warmest, friendliest, and most welcoming people I've encountered. They would go out of their way to help you out. We were lost on one of the smaller roads in Calcutta, and a guy who spoke very limited english simply got on his motorbike and guided us for 3-5 miles back to the road we're supposed to take, then simply smiled and waved to our chorus of thank yous, then he drove back 3-5 miles to where we met him. Imagine someone doing that for complete strangers in the US!

The beaches in Goa are okay, the sand there is kinda reddish / brownish sand, but the food is fantastic..! My husband and I had great fun walking around in Mapusa market, Goa.

Did you know that India has its own blend of Chinese food that is distinctly India? We found that out in Calcutta, which by far, has the best Chinese - Indian fusion food I've tasted.

I didn't like Mumbai, too much city feel for my taste.

If you have India on your wish list, go for it. Just read as much as you can about your destination before you go to prepare yourself mentally. I personally would like to visit India again someday, perhaps to Kerala.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM

13,218 posts, read 27,073,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

I'm not offended by people poorer than me!! Where did I say that?????????
I've been to many "poor" areas on the planet but from what I've been told by those that visited India and even people from India themselves it is very dirty & unsanitary in parts...

O/P if you do travel to India I hope you come back and post what you saw & your take on India
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel