U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 05:52 PM

702 posts, read 2,980,564 times

Advertisements

I was planning a family reunion to take place in California. I needed two suites. I went to two large travel sites online and was quoted prices that were the same from each. I decided to call the hotels directly. I found that both travel agencies had booked blocks of rooms that were non-view, lesser type rooms and that is what I would get. I asked for the price of view suites and got a price $20.00 less than the online sites. When we got to the hotel we saw the rooms that we would have gotten with the travel sites, not nearly as nice as the ones we got thru the hotel. My advice is to use the online sites for information about the hotel only, then book directly with the hotel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 AM

284 posts, read 1,604,992 times
Good advice! I always get better prices by dealing directly with the hotel or hotel chain, and I have always had the same experience when dealing with airlines and car rental agencies.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,171,950 times
Yes, there are a lot of hotel booking sites out there, and the general rule is to book direct, but if you are looking internationally, sometimes the sites work out okay. I usually deal direct, but have done all right with a site here and there.
There are several trustworthy hostel-booking sites.
I would never download any travel site software, though.
It really depends on what you are looking for; my favorite source of information is word of mouth.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 PM

208 posts, read 928,202 times
I use Expedia.com almost always for travel within the US and the rates are almost always the same or cheaper than if I book direct...maybe I'm lucky??

Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 AM

702 posts, read 2,980,564 times
Expedia and Travelocity were the two companies that gave me non-view rooms at a price higher than the hotel gave me for view rooms. My son-in-law travels a lot and he uses the online sites for information and pictures of the hotels and then calls them direct to get a better price. I do the same now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel