Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering, say you are JUST squeezing by for the year to get to the next level in your FF program, you have a trip planned between end of December and mid- January, your departure will be enough to give you over the amount of miles needed.. but do you have to finish your return before the miles will be counted? Would you qualify for the next level or not qualify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Most airlines deposit miles into your account when you complete a leg of the trip, so you should not need the return to be counted. So if you're going to NYC on Dec 27th, you should get miles for that trip after completing that portion of the trip. If you're coming back January 13th or something like that, you'll get those miles after you complete that portion.

Or, you can earn a million miles in 90 minutes, without ever stepping foot on a plane! Sure, these don't count towards status (since they are award miles), but do you really care if you have this many?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:00 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Awesome, thanks for the help. I'm not a business traveler so i've never really been faithful to an airline, but due to some extra money for 2011 and my travel plans it looks like i will be able to get elite status with United but I will be getting there right at the end of the year.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
... Sure, these don't count towards status (since they are award miles), but do you really care if you have this many?
If frequently boarding FROM international terminals you may care.

I plan to get to a high level BEFORE I do my 'round-the-world' travel.

I have held it on most carriers while employed, and it got to be pretty nice getting choice of upperdeck 747 or first class while spending hundreds of hours a month flying LONG hauls (14 - 19 hrs).

Old 01-08-2011, 06:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If frequently boarding FROM international terminals you may care.

I plan to get to a high level BEFORE I do my 'round-the-world' travel.

I have held it on most carriers while employed, and it got to be pretty nice getting choice of upperdeck 747 or first class while spending hundreds of hours a month flying LONG hauls (14 - 19 hrs).
You do realize that you don't get automatic upgrades on trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights with most FF programs these days, right?

You can use your miles to buy upgrades, or in some cases you are given a couple of vouchers a year, but status upgrades operate differently on long-haul flights. Double check with your program before getting your hopes up, most of them have changed pretty drastically in recent years.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
To answer the OP, it depends on the carrier's program, but generally speaking, the miles deposit a day or two after you take the individual flight, not at the end of the trip.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You do realize that you don't get automatic upgrades on trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights with most FF programs these days, right?

You can use your miles to buy upgrades, or in some cases you are given a couple of vouchers a year, but status upgrades operate differently on long-haul flights. Double check with your program before getting your hopes up, most of them have changed pretty drastically in recent years.
You are correct. Delta certainly will not. I am a million miler platinum, they won't even let me up front on international, no way, even if it's empty. That's the airlines moneymaker. First class domestic? No problem, I get that all the time - but no way no how international.

I can paper my walls with the international upgrade vouchers I get. The problem is you have to use them on the highest M class fares, they don't work for discount fares. M class are so expensive you mine as well pony up and pay for the 1st class int'l ticket.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You are correct. Delta certainly will not. I am a million miler platinum, they won't even let me up front on international, no way, even if it's empty. That's the airlines moneymaker. First class domestic? No problem, I get that all the time - but no way no how international.
We flew from Turks and Caicos to ATL (then SAN) in late Dec. The first leg, the international one, we were upgraded to first class. And, we used miles to pay for the flight. So Delta upgrades us to first class on an international flight were we redeemed miles. I love Delta and will be a loyal customer for life.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We flew from Turks and Caicos to ATL (then SAN) in late Dec. The first leg, the international one, we were upgraded to first class. And, we used miles to pay for the flight. So Delta upgrades us to first class on an international flight were we redeemed miles. I love Delta and will be a loyal customer for life.
I think the carribean is considered domestic and you can get normal upgrades with your meddalion status. Hey I love Delta as well, they treat me like a king. But since I made my million I am think of trying another airline. I think Continental might be happy to match my premium status off the bat.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think the carribean is considered domestic and you can get normal upgrades with your meddalion status. Hey I love Delta as well, they treat me like a king. But since I made my million I am think of trying another airline. I think Continental might be happy to match my premium status off the bat.
yep & mexico....I don't think that would happen on a trans atlantic or pacific flight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel