Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Boston would get my vote and you could find a nice hotel outside the city to save some money.
Fenway is a great old baseball park and you will find lots to do there. Braintree would be a great
place to find a hotel with the T into the city.
If you do Boston I had a friend stay in Braintree and he did the I do think
it was the motel 6 on the T line right next to the hotel. He did think it
was great! Boston has a great without a car T. He took the T into Boston
and had a real nice time. Not one complaint did I hear. My choice was the
sheraton, but it was too much money. Braintree anyway did work for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
I'm looking to take a vacation by myself (yes, myself) in the beginning of May. I have a budget of about $1,000 that includes airfare and hotel. Now, you see that the title says "'walkable' cities" and the reason for that is I'm hoping to avoid renting a car since the prices are high for a 22-year old.

This will be a weekend getaway as I said in May, preferably the first weekend. I would leave Friday afternoon and return Monday afternoon. Can anyone recommend to me where everything is within walking distance (shops, general attractions, food, bars, etc.)?

The first thing that comes to mind is San Antonio, where I visited in 2004. I was able to walk from my hotel to the Riverwalk, Alamodome, etc. I don't need my hotel to be in the heart of downtown but I'm hoping to take a cab from my hotel to where everything is in walking distance rather than needing to take a cab to each destination.

Some other things I'm looking for:
-Weather is nice. No snow, please.
-Professional sports (baseball team in the area).
-Decent nightlife.
-Safe. Obviously, since I'll be walking from place to place.
-Any fun attractions that are in town for the date given.

Texas and Arizona my top choices and I'm narrowing down which cities fit my criteria. I'm looking to travel anywhere though. Thanks.
Boston.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Default I also do pick Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
Boston.
The history, the Park Fenway the T and the walking!
Mostly also on the budget and May is really nice. A friend also flew with his wife and 2 children in October to see Harvard and the leaves.
They also did stay in New Hampshire for the leaves but did show off Boston to the kids. They also did the freedom trail and the Boston Gardens.
etc. Also if you do fly into Logan at Boston they do have a bus service which
will go to Braintree and do the return. it is not costly either, but it is the
shuttel that hotels do use, not the Limo! It is a van service so check that out also. There also is on Arch Street a beautifull shrine! It is open
all the time called St. Anthony! That also is worth a look or visit. Even where Ted Kennedy the church at Mission Hill is really beautifull!
I would visit there before the Dentist, but the T will get you there also. That church is a shrine or even more however, is worth a visit!
It is really beautifull with history, and the peace. Yes it also gets pictures of Boston, the City and is a part of history! Even if it is not on your to do list
it is Boston and the history.

Last edited by maggiekate; 01-21-2011 at 12:07 AM..

Old 01-21-2011, 12:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Try Cincinnati, OH. Got a good review at that Walkscore.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM

175 posts, read 227,528 times
Miami Beach or Vegas is perfect for you, Neither city has good rail, but taxis are everywhere!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:39 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Do you have a passport? Go to Vancouver.
The airfare might be the deal killer, but you never know. Wouldn't be much more than $500. Hotels are cheap if you stay in Richmond or Burnaby. One of the best transit systems in north America.
Easily one of the most walkable cities and the most beautiful. Rent a bike for a couple bucks and cycle around Stanley park and False creek. Awesome cheap food options. Great food you probably wouldn't find anywhere else.
Vancouver Canadians minor league baseball.
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Vancouver Canadians Homepage

Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Do you have a passport? Go to Vancouver.
The airfare might be the deal killer, but you never know. Wouldn't be much more than $500. Hotels are cheap if you stay in Richmond or Burnaby. One of the best transit systems in north America.
Easily one of the most walkable cities and the most beautiful. Rent a bike for a couple bucks and cycle around Stanley park and False creek. Awesome cheap food options. Great food you probably wouldn't find anywhere else.
Vancouver Canadians minor league baseball.
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Vancouver Canadians Homepage
No passport unfortunately. I did look into Vancouver as I have a friend who lives out there but the price for flights weren't in my budget.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I am still narrowing down my choices however I'm am leaning towards Chicago. Everything is well within my budget and I could rent a car with the age fee and still be in my budget.

I don't think I'll take any other suggestions since I've researched a lot on pretty much every major city. Cities I'm still considering:
  • Chicago.
  • Austin. Despite no pro team, I can catch a Longhorn ballgame.
  • San Diego.
  • Boston.
  • DC.
Those are my top choices. I don't think I'll be considering any other city at this time. I'm looking to finally choose where I want to go within the next couple of days. If anyone has anything to say about the cities above, let me know. Thanks.

As for those saying NYC, I will not be able to go this year since I can only take my trip for a weekend. NYC is a city I want to stay for longer than 3 days and I want to go with friends rather than myself.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Well, living in San Diego, I'll just say we are the best! However, we are not a walking city, you definitely need a car. Also, May is not a good time for SoCal. They don't call it May gray/June gloom for nothing! You generally don't see sun on the coast during those months, though last summer it lasted into August!

Out of the ones you mentioned, I'd go with Chicago. I've been there several times, without a car, and got to see most of the city using just public transportation.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
Austin is great! Just spent a weekend there a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed the South Congress neighborhood, but it situates on a big hill so things are walkable, but require endurence if you want to walk the whole thing! The area around 6th Street was nice as well, lots of bars/live music in one area. Be sure to check out Emo's, beside 6th for good bands. Also we got amazing (like melt-in-your-mouth) bangers and mash at Fado's Irish pub, which is walkable from 6th but away from the 6th St bars.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,607 times
Update: I've chosen Chicago but I'll heading up during the first weekend of June (3rd-6th I believe) instead so my brother can come along after he finishes his high school exams.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. If anyone can recommend some places to see especially restaurants since we're big on food. We'll definitely try to catch a Cubbies or White Sox game or both if they are in town while we're there. I'll create a thread in the Chicago forums for more information in April or May.

Thanks again for everyone's wonderful feedback. It helped a lot. It also made my choice for my next vacation more difficult as I've come across a lot of interesting cities people have mentioned.

New York City will come after I have my transplant as I want to go for a full week rather than just a weekend.

So, thanks again y'all.

Hopefully some people will chime in about what to do in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel