Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, I always had the impression most Americans haven't traveled extensively. My outlook on life is just save for what you want to do and have your fun the way you want to do it. Who cares what other people do, if someone tries to make you feel uneducated for not doing world travel, they are probably idiots to begin with. I have noticed the "community" of world travelers can have the most elitist minded people out there, and they try to call themselves open minded.

I put travel ahead of most things, so thats what I budget for, instead of an ipod I would buy a plane ticket somewhere.. some people would agree with that , others wouldn't ... to each their own. Just remember, US cities might sound boring to you because you are American, but think of all the people that would absolutely die to see the places you have seen here.
That's what I'm trying to do now: save up for a passport. I want to go to Toronto.
As a person who LOVES to travel, I have never left the US. Ever. Most northern point I've traveled to was Boston, most southern: South Beach in Miami, FL. Furthest west: Baltimore, MD (I live in NJ).

OP, I wished I had traveled as much as you have, so don't feel like your traveling experiences are inadequate. Did you have a good time on your travels? Did you learn an important thing or two about life while traveling? Those are the things that really matter!

Unless these college kids (the young ones) are in some study abroad program, have parents with $$$, or travel in large groups, I don't see how they could afford to do some extensive traveling. As a working college girl, I find it financially difficult to travel from NJ to Philly, NYC, or even Boston sometimes. It's easier to travel when you have the money for it (at the time), lol! Until I have a job where I can make a good salary, I don't mind waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Yeah, you're very right. I live in NYC right now and god knows how many people from other countries and cities would die to visit this city. I live in right now, one of the most popular cities in the world. That's how I try to think of it, like some places I want to travel to, other people who have traveled extensively might say "been there, done that" but there's possibly millions more who would want to go where I am going.

I noticed some world travelers do have an elitist mentality, which drives me crazy. If I traveled like they did I would try and inspire instead making people feel like they're nothing.
Not to oversimplify or dismiss how you feel, but seems to me that folks usually manage to do the things in life that are really most important to them. So if after awhile you find you still haven't traveled much, even locally, then maybe you should re-examine how badly you ever really wanted it and why. Perhaps there are other things that are really more important to you.

For example do you want to travel because you've got that "wanderlust" and "itchy feet", and you're just plain curious about the rest of the world? Or is it because you feel it's something you "should" be doing and because it looks like all your "peers" are doing it too (kinda like wanting an expensive car or the right clothes, keeping up with the "Joneses", etc)?

And if you still have the "urge", the good old US of A is a great and incredibly varied place to start, with huge differences in regional culture and attitudes (think "road trip", maybe with a good friend). Or even try just popping across the border and visiting our neighbors next door to the North and South. And for international travel, "circle fares" are a terrific way to "taste" a big chunk of the globe on a budget.

BTW, what are "travelers with an elitist mentality"? Unless you're talking about conservative politics (where "elitist" is code for "educated" or "liberal"), then maybe you just mean "snobs", which can be anyone, anywhere, not just "travelers". Which finally gets to the distinction between "tourist" and "traveler". Which one do you want to be?

"He did not think of himself as a tourist; he was a traveler.

The difference is partly one of time, he would explain. Whereas the tourist generally hurries back home at the end of a few weeks or months, the traveler belonging no more to one place than to the next, moves slowly over periods of years from one part of the earth to another.

Indeed he would have found it difficult to tell among the many places he had lived precisely where he felt most at home."

- Paul Bowles, The Sheltering Sky

Do you relate more to these....

or these?

Last edited by mateo45; 01-18-2011 at 06:25 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Not to oversimplify or dismiss how you feel, but seems to me that folks usually manage to do the things in life that are really most important to them. So if after awhile you find you still haven't traveled much, even locally, then maybe you should re-examine how badly you ever really wanted it and why. Perhaps there are other things that are really more important to you.

For example do you want to travel because you've got that "wanderlust" and "itchy feet", and you're just plain curious about the rest of the world? Or is it because you feel it's something you "should" be doing and because it looks like all your "peers" are doing it too (kinda like wanting an expensive car or the right clothes, keeping up with the "Joneses", etc)?

And if you still have the "urge", the good old US of A is a great and incredibly varied place to start, with huge differences in regional culture and attitudes (think "road trip", maybe with a good friend). Or even try just popping across the border and visiting our neighbors next door to the North and South. And for international travel, "circle fares" are a terrific way to "taste" a big chunk of the globe on a budget.

BTW, what are "travelers with an elitist mentality"? Unless you're talking about conservative politics (where "elitist" is code for "educated" or "liberal"), then maybe you just mean "snobs", which can be anyone, anywhere, not just "travelers". Which finally gets to the distinction between "tourist" and "traveler". Which one do you want to be?

"He did not think of himself as a tourist; he was a traveler.

The difference is partly one of time, he would explain. Whereas the tourist generally hurries back home at the end of a few weeks or months, the traveler belonging no more to one place than to the next, moves slowly over periods of years from one part of the earth to another.

Indeed he would have found it difficult to tell among the many places he had lived precisely where he felt most at home."

- Paul Bowles, The Sheltering Sky

Do you relate more to these....

or these?

Ahahahaha. Good post. Believe me, I want to travel more than anything and now that I have more of an opportunity too, I am. It was never the case of how bad I wanted to, or because it was something I feel like I "should do" because my peers or doing it or because I want to keep up with the "Joneses". Unfortunately, some of us have other circumstances that come into our life that might put a hold on what we want to do, which was the case with me. It's not like I was just able to put everything down and leave.

Traveling extensively is something I've always been passionate about and dreamed of all the time. I simply love meeting new people, trying out new foods, learning the ways and life of the people, the slang everything.

Forgive me for the comments about elitism because I agree with what you're saying and like the distinction you made between a tourist and traveler. I'm more of a traveler by far. I can care less for cruises, I can care less for fancy resorts or hotels. The few places I have traveled, I have slept in a car and rented out motels just to change and wash up or I stood over a friends/family house or even in some cases a friend of a friends or family friends house, who I barely knew.

I don't like package deals and all that crap. I'll go to a city and get lost, even if its in a bad part of the city. As a matter of fact, I like to see the ghettos and less prosperous areas as much as the touristy parts. It fascinates me. I definitely have itchy feel I would say. I want to be able to see and do and be able to share stories with my younger siblings, family and friends, and of course; myself.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
That's what I'm trying to do now: save up for a passport. I want to go to Toronto.
As a person who LOVES to travel, I have never left the US. Ever. Most northern point I've traveled to was Boston, most southern: South Beach in Miami, FL. Furthest west: Baltimore, MD (I live in NJ).

OP, I wished I had traveled as much as you have, so don't feel like your traveling experiences are inadequate. Did you have a good time on your travels? Did you learn an important thing or two about life while traveling? Those are the things that really matter!

Unless these college kids (the young ones) are in some study abroad program, have parents with $$$, or travel in large groups, I don't see how they could afford to do some extensive traveling. As a working college girl, I find it financially difficult to travel from NJ to Philly, NYC, or even Boston sometimes. It's easier to travel when you have the money for it (at the time), lol! Until I have a job where I can make a good salary, I don't mind waiting.

For the most part, I did have a good time and learned somethings about the different states in cities I've been in. Tasted different and interesting food. Like you said mentioned, some of my friends are the type that their parents had a good amount of money for them to go on trips and had enough money for them to take out a loan and help them pay it back. They are basically set financially.

I am planning on going to Canada as well I been to Toronto or rather Mississauga which is a part of the GTA. It's a nice place but maybe you should check out Montreal, it has a more European flare, kind of like Paris meets NYC from what I hear.

When I was in the GTA it felt like a smaller version of NYC. The people are just more polite, its cleaner but just doesn't have anything that NYC doesn't have to be honest. Its a nice little, cute interesting place but nothing mind blowing. If you been to NYC, then you're not missing out on anything in Toronto. Again I was only in the GTA area of Mississauga and did not get to really explore Toronto.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I don't like package deals and all that crap. I'll go to a city and get lost, even if its in a bad part of the city. As a matter of fact, I like to see the ghettos and less prosperous areas as much as the touristy parts. It fascinates me. I definitely have itchy feel I would say. I want to be able to see and do and be able to share stories with my younger siblings, family and friends, and of course; myself.
I hear 'ya, and go for it kiddo! BTW the Circle Fares aren't a tour, and instead for a flat fee you get a group of tickets that allow you to get on and off at a set of destinations of your choosing, and you can even take months to do it, as long as you don't "backtrack".

So for example, a few years ago I did a "Circle Pacific" trip out of Seattle, that connected Tokyo, Taipei, Bangkok, Singapore, Djakarta, Bali, Sydney and back to Seattle again.... for $1200! And unlike Europe, Asia is very affordable besides.

Maybe in your travels around the more "ethnic" parts of NYC, see what cultures you feel comfortable with and kinda gravitate towards, and then plan on taking a further "reconnaissance trip" abroad there one of these days!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I hear 'ya, and go for it kiddo! BTW the Circle Fares aren't a tour, and instead for a flat fee you get a group of tickets that allow you to get on and off at a set of destinations of your choosing, and you can even take months to do it, as long as you don't "backtrack".

So for example, a few years ago I did a "Circle Pacific" trip out of Seattle, that connected Tokyo, Taipei, Bangkok, Singapore, Djakarta, Bali, Sydney and back to Seattle again.... for $1200! And unlike Europe, Asia is very affordable besides.

Maybe in your travels around the more "ethnic" parts of NYC, see what cultures you feel comfortable with and kinda gravitate towards, and then plan on taking a further "reconnaissance trip" abroad there one of these days!
Thanks so much for the advice dude! I wish I knew about this much earlier I would have saved up money millions of years ago. ahahha. That's not bad at all and I'm actually more interested in traveling to Asia than I am Europe so this is like perfect for me.

Okay, I know it may be a stupid question to ask but you travel and sleep on a boat right? On these circle fares that is. How long are you able to stay on each city?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 PM

347 posts, read 695,859 times
I think international travel is very important..something everyone with the means should do. I know there are Americans who travel only within America and are content due to the diversity between different regions of America.
However as someone who is not American and has travelled to at least 5 states in the US, from the South to the North to the West, I would say the diversity one finds within America is not even one tenth of what one finds when comparing America to any country that is not Canada. America in its entirety is broadly similar..and I have been to places like Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, atlanta,Miami, Chicago...places that an American would see as all being quite different from each other. It really depends on what you are comparing to. To my non American eye the similarities within America far exceed the differences, when you have travelled to other parts of the world.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice dude! I wish I knew about this much earlier I would have saved up money millions of years ago. ahahha. That's not bad at all and I'm actually more interested in traveling to Asia than I am Europe so this is like perfect for me.

Okay, I know it may be a stupid question to ask but you travel and sleep on a boat right? On these circle fares that is. How long are you able to stay on each city?
Nope, no boat, "Dudette"... that's airfare. And you can basically stay about as long as you want in each city, before catching the next plane out, or even skip any one if you want and travel overland by bus or train instead, although there's usually some time limit on the whole package of around 6 months to a year. Except for maybe places like Hong Kong or Japan, decent accommodations and food can be found in most parts of asia for pretty cheap. For example, while there are some luxurious resorts on Bali, you can also rent very lovely accomodations there, for much less, like any of these.

And besides just using some commonsense and reasonable caution, otherwise I'd consider it a very safe place to travel, whether for a man or a woman. In fact the only problem I ever had over there was once in Australia (hotel room was broken into), but never anywhere in asia.

Dunno about the east coast, but here's a good pace to start re: Circle Fares. And in the travel section of your local bookstores, be sure to check out the Lonely Planet or Moon travel guides, for the independent-minded and budget-conscious "adventure traveler"! They'll have great tips for where to stay, eat, sights, etc. with comparative prices, language info., etc... and IMHO, are way better than the more conventional and "tourist-oriented" guides like Frommers, etc..

So go for it... and then afterwards, hearing about a few college kids getting drunk in Puerto Vallarta is gonna sound pretty tame.... compared to feeding the Orangs in Borneo, or watching the sunrise over the temples in Myanmar, or even just taking the overland train across Java!

Last edited by mateo45; 01-18-2011 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: links

Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
I got the travel bug in my teens. My family never really travelled but I was always itching to see other places. I just simply saved money and went. I had 3 jobs when I was 18. 1 full time, 1 bar job and a weekend job, I paid my rent and saved the rest for holidays. In my 20's when none of my friends or boyfriend wanted to visit India with me I saved my money and went by myself. I couldn't afford good hotels but had a great time. Nothing has really stopped me since. It was all about priorities for me. I wanted to see other bits of the world, how people lived, what they ate etc etc so if it meant I had to work harder or not go out in order to save that is what I did.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM

70 posts, read 111,072 times
Hey man, I know what you mean about that. Here's what I see it as. I am like you. I have traveled most of the US and only been outside of the country once. I was 7 years old and it was to El Salvador to visit relatives. But however you shouldn't feel like that at all. I find that you are well educated and open minded person. That is what it all matters. In my opinion partying in cancun at 15 isn't what I considered for someone who has immersed themselves with the culture. It counts when someone is willing to mingle with the locals and check out different parts of the country no matter how rundown the location is.

If you want to travel to a different country, you should pick a location where it is affordable to go to and save up your money when you can. Then when you have the money, book a flight and stay at hostels(believe me they are very affordable to stay at and some of them even provide free breakfast), eat low-budget food, and find events/museums that are free to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel