Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,280 times

Advertisements

I feel so inferior, so stupid and unintelligent when I meet people who have traveled the globe (especially at a young age) while I hardly seen anything of the world. You see, I'm not ignorant to other cultures, I read on other cultures, experienced foods from different parts of the world, have friends of many different ethnicity's, and pretty much love knowing about other cultures and ways of life. I live in the U.S. and traveled and seen many different parts of the U.S., been to Canada and Mexico (once), so basically, I've gotten out my house and out my familiar settings and enjoy very much doing that.

However, I know a few friends who I've met at college, worked with and whatnot who have traveled to many different countries, several different times and have interesting stories to tell of their experience. I love hearing their stories and experiences but it makes me quite sad and I ask myself "Why the heck didn't I travel? Where the heck have I been?" It makes me feel like I don't know nothing, like I'm inferior to them (as silly as that sounds). I feel like a bumpkin and unsophisticated compared to these people, like I feel out of their league since I'm not well traveled. I'll talk about how I've been here or there but then they'll say "Oh at 15 I went to Cancun, Mexcio like 6 times, partied like an animal and I LOVE IT!". Seem like every person I meet has done crazy amount of traveling and I leave myself going like this .

Granted, most the people I know who have traveled were pretty much born into privileged homes and families or had a family that had established and developed themselves financially from fiscal upbringings. The older adults I've met are people who are just more experienced in life and made well for themselves and traveled. Some people I know simply worked hard to travel by being successful in whatever field they were in. Not taking anything away from these folks but its just that I grew up poor and never had the money to travel like these people and right now, though I have traveled, I still don't have a ton of money to just be able to travel like I would like.

I know eventually I WILL travel a lot more once I become more financially stable, successful and able to do so. It's just that I feel like I'm getting older and if I don't travel, I will feel like I'm missing out on so much that this world has to offer and be socially inept.

It's always been a dream of mine since I was a kid to travel the world and be able to say I've been here and there but I look back on all my years and though I have traveled, I feel crappy, like I wasted time, though I tried hard but not hard enough. Traveling is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, I'm not trying to gain sympathy or have people drown in their sorrows with me but self admittedly I would feel somewhat assured that I'm not the only one in the world who hasn't traveled so extensively. It just seems like everyone but me has been around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,419 times
What you describe is almost exactly how I feel/the situation I am in and in reading your post, I can completely relate. In fact, even you are better-travelled than I am, as I've only really had experience in most of the provinces in Canada (for what they're worth) and the US (and not even the whole of it, but mainly the north and east, when I was younger).

I'm not in a financial or personal situation where I can travel at the moment, but I keep telling myself that once I do, I will totally jump on the opportunity.

I live in a city that is one of the most diverse in the world in terms of nationality of birth of the residents and I constantly hear stories from my friends and colleagues about how one country feels so-and-so to live in, and how it's so such-and-such here or there. The day will come when I don't have to live vicariously, I promise myself.

Remember, it's never too late to do what you love in life, so go at it!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
I don't know that I would say I've traveled extensively. I've been to other countries, but only for brief periods of time, and I wasn't all that interested in their culture. In fact, in some places I didn't even bother to get off the ship.

I would have much preferred to serve my military duty Stateside.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 PM

Oh yeah Stumbler, definitely. I just feel so slow sometimes when I hear of my young (ages 20-25) friends going on cruises, trips to Europe with their other friends who have money. I'm totally not hating but most my younger friends went on the expense of their parents money, something that if I had, I KNOW I wouldn't look back twice to embark on, hehehe. It just sucks sometimes because they'll go on trips here and there when we are in a social gathering, and almost all my friends will talk about how they went to this or that country for new years, or for this party, or this event or for spring break, while the most foreign beach I've been to is Miami Beach, Florida. Which isn't a bad thing because Miami Beach is beautiful but I just feel so inept.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Oh yeah Stumbler, definitely. I just feel so slow sometimes when I hear of my young (ages 20-25) friends going on cruises, trips to Europe with their other friends who have money. I'm totally not hating but most my younger friends went on the expense of their parents money, something that if I had, I KNOW I wouldn't look back twice to embark on, hehehe. It just sucks sometimes because they'll go on trips here and there when we are in a social gathering, and almost all my friends will talk about how they went to this or that country for new years, or for this party, or this event or for spring break, while the most foreign beach I've been to is Miami Beach, Florida. Which isn't a bad thing because Miami Beach is beautiful but I just feel so inept.
Yeah, I've noticed that with my peers as well. I know there's an attitude that you have to do it while you're young, or when you are in college before you settle down. A friend of mine recently expressed this attitude by saying "I feel like if I don't do it now (take a year off to travel), I won't be able to get that chance again."

My problem though is, as you say, it sounds easy if you have the money. And the attitude that you have to do it as if it's now or never is none too sporting (yes, I agree it's best to do it as early as you have the means to but it's never too late). Most college students and some recent graduates don't have that much money anyways before they have a stable job, so what's the shame in waiting until you feel comfortable?

The furthest south I've gone on the continent is Washington, D.C actually, so anywhere tropical sounds great to me.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't know that I would say I've traveled extensively. I've been to other countries, but only for brief periods of time, and I wasn't all that interested in their culture. In fact, in some places I didn't even bother to get off the ship.

I would have much preferred to serve my military duty Stateside.
Personally, I would have taken full advantage if I were you. Even if you absolutely hate a country, at least you can share the reasons why. Even if you didn't like the people, culture whatever, it's the experience that counts, its the stories you can share. To me, that's the beauty of traveling.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that with my peers as well. I know there's an attitude that you have to do it while you're young, or when you are in college before you settle down. A friend of mine recently expressed this attitude by saying "I feel like if I don't do it now (take a year off to travel), I won't be able to get that chance again."

My problem though is, as you say, it sounds easy if you have the money. And the attitude that you have to do it as if it's now or never is none too sporting (yes, I agree it's best to do it as early as you have the means to but it's never too late). Most college students and some recent graduates don't have that much money anyways before they have a stable job, so what's the shame in waiting until you feel comfortable?

The furthest south I've gone on the continent is Washington, D.C actually, so anywhere tropical sounds great to me.
Yeah, absolutely. I guess the whole experience is that much more fun when you're 18-19 or in your 20 somethings, young and traveling the world and letting your inhibitions and being away from all the B.S. that plagues you in life. My peers also made it seem like it was such an easy task to embark on as well-to drop everything and leave. Before I turn 30 I would at least be MORE than happy to travel to Brazil or Japan.

By the way Stumbler, how is Toronto? Ever been to Montreal?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Personally, I would have taken full advantage if I were you. Even if you absolutely hate a country, at least you can share the reasons why. Even if you didn't like the people, culture whatever, it's the experience that counts, its the stories you can share. To me, that's the beauty of traveling.
I much prefer to live in one place, and never leave it. I like the familiarity of knowing where I am at...I'm not much for "exploring".

Old 01-16-2011, 11:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Don't get into the trap that you expect to have the same 'fun' your peers have. Traveling isn't for everyone, and is not necessary to live a well rounded and intellectual life.

Be yourself, AND be vulnerable to grow and learn from experiences. Working a month in a homeless shelter, or caring for battered women and children, or the mentally ill, or international student hosting can open your eyes further than traveling to MEX and partying.

Get a job that involves traveling, It CAN be delightful to get paid to learn and enjoy(?) new cultures. It can also be very demanding of time, and mentally draining. I spent as little time in hotels as possible when on assignment in foriegn countries. I really was 'anti-social' with my US co-workers, and would instead invest my time with local culture. I rarely accepted trips that involved a traveling partner, as it can really 'cramp your style / availability' if you are planning to merge with locals.

When / if you get the chance to travel, consider doing it as an education rather than a holiday (vacation). Spending time with locals has been the most memorable and rich experiences of my travels. I know people who didn't travel at all and are very well educated on other cultures. Other who didn't enjoy traveling until they were older.

BUT... If the opportunity presents itself, take it !! (I recently saw a RT flight to Japan for $350) Traveling in Japan as a tourist is very expensive. Traveling as a local is not cheap, but very educational. I will have to say that I felt Japan was no 'party', tho I was often hosted to all night events in private bars (gag). I got lots of enjoyment walking the countryside at dawn. Eating with locals is very important in most cultures, getting invited into their homes is a great honor and an experience to be treasured. (Most cultures are very self conscious that they don't have the 'stuff' US / CDN are used to having access to).

I found Montreal to be a very interesting cultural experience (I come from the prairie and felt I was the ONLY person in Montreal in blue jeans (all I had at the time)). Toronto is pretty 'Americanized'. Vancouver BC has a lot of diverse culture, but it is not culture immersion, as is a foriegn destination.

Singapore CAN be a wonderful inter culture opportunity if you get out of the commerce area into the housing districts (10 minutes by MRT). English is the required trade language, but 70% of folks are from other nationalities. Even Taxi drivers are very educational . Again; eat, shop, play with the locals, NOT the tourists or ex-pats. Malaysia is a much more significant culture change (30 minutes away), but not the variety of nationalities you will learn and experience in Singapore. (I got there for $800 from USA last trip) You can eat well on $10/day, stay in local places for $30/day, or couchsurf for free. Or... you can go as a tourist and spend $100/day on food and $250 / day on a fancy hotel (thus traveling there on your company's dime is beneficial)

Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
You're probably better travelled than most people.

Heck, I know a lot of young adults here that have never even been on a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel