Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,138 times

Advertisements

I have a new job in Tacoma WA that starts mid Feb. I would like to drive but need advice on the best route to avoid bad weather. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
If it were me, I'd head south to San Antonio , west on Interstate 10, and north on I-5. You might hit a bit of snow near the California-Oregon border, and then in Oregon around Grant's Pass, but I-5 gets cleared frequently. Bring tire chains with you, but you might not need to use them.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 14,615 times
As stated above, snow is going to be your biggest concern in Northern CA. If you wait until the spring you will have better weather for sure. If you are not used to the snow, you may find yourself in a situation you cannot handle. Frank Kuperman

Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,620 times
Question Driving from Austin, TX to Tacoma, WA

We are moving to Washington state (PCSing) late December to early January. We are going from Austin to Haileyville, Ok (visiting family) and then on to Tacoma. We have been told that it is too dangerous to go the northern route on Interstates 70, 25, 80, 82, 84 and 90.

Is it really that bad and should we take 40 across the southern states and then 5 through California? Is it worth the extra time? And of course safety is our number one concern.

We have never been through any of these states. Any advice is greatly appreciated since we will be driving two vehicle with two kids.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
I-40 can be no picnic itself, at least until you get down the hill into Ash Fork, AZ. It's prone to ice, snow, sleet and high winds from about Oklahoma City all the way to Flagstaff, AZ. Or, it could be 80 degrees and thunderstorms!

Then, you've got the risk of bad weather over Tehachapi Summit on CA-58 between Mojave and Bakersfield, and almost a sure bet at Syskiuous Summit on I-5 at the CA/OR line.

But, it will all depend upon the weather at the time you plan start out. Being as it's a PCS move, you have to be there when you have to be there, so you won't have a lot of flexibility.

I'd be happy to tell you about the various routes in detail, if you'd like. I've run them all, multiple times. PM me if you want.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:27 AM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
stillkit
you put it in a nut shell about the roads,we have driven that route too but not recently.
I live in Salem Or and our weather is acting like real winter, the Syskiuou's have already had
snow at the top of the grade coming into Oregon..When you hit California starting checking TripCheck on your computer, its good..Please I know what PCS moves are (hubby is retired Navy)give yourself lots of time...
Welcome to the Pacific Northwest, your going to love it up here.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:45 PM

94 posts, read 155,121 times
As someone who has just made the move from Bremerton, WA, (it's about 1/2 hr drive from Tacoma) I can tell you that your best bet would be to go over through NM, AZ and go up through CA. The Rockies can be a bear during the winter and while there may be snow in NM and the upper areas of AZ, it's nothing like trying to fight through areas where they can and will close down the roads and you'll be stuck for however long it takes them to open them.

I made the trip last month in a little over 3 days and that included stopping at family for almost 18 hours.

Good luck with your move.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
A greater issue might be that you've to plan this trip via OK. Considering that during that time of the year, it is not unusual for ice storms to strike, and North Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas are all candidates for that.

Speaking of highways, however, I-70 should be fine, except for a stretch after Denver. Personally, I would prefer I-40 to I-15/I-5 but it will extend your drive time substantially.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,620 times
Thanks to all of you for your info. on your personal experience! We would rather not go up to OKC but we have family sprinkled throughout OK and would like to say goodbye since it will proabably be a while before we see them again and because we will be leaving the weekend before Christmas.

Our children have National Park Passport books so we plan on making a few Nat. Park stops and definitely take our time. None of us have gone through this part of the U.S. and even without possible bad road conditions we want to make a few scenic stops.

I am looking forward to this trip and our time in WA but am terrified at the same time! I'm sure we will love it and can't wait to experience it all! We will definitely play everything by ear and make the proper adjustments based on road conditions and weather.

Thanks again for the inupt and please let me know anything else you might think of.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Hummmm... National Parks in Dec... while I really prefer Yellowstone and Tetons (winter is GREAT...) THAT could be inconvenient, expensive, and time consuming in Dec w/ little kids. (snow coach / LOTS of bundled up people, LONG waits between bathrooms...) so....

most bang for the travel buck.... I would suggest I-40, but cut up to Durango for Mesa Verde, then over to Moab for Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, ... Utah National Parks | Utah.com

From there, weather permitting you could do Great Basin OR head to Death Valley (the afternoon passes to pool are good time to unwind AFTER a cool morning hike)

I would probably skip Grand Canyon (north rim will probably be closed for winter, but CHECK) It is a very long way around, and a VERY cheap trip (flight) from WA to Las Vegas some winter when you are dying for sun. Here is my Favorite spot near there valley of fire - Google Search

I would consider doing Death Valley and Joshua Tree, BUT they are another better trip in March for flowers and SUN (Hint... you will want to take lots of trips FROM We_tern WA in winter... I certainly DO... Sacramento is $39 one way and I go OFTEN.... EZ to Yosemite and San Francisco (lots of CHEAP / free / fun for kids and parents. Stay at Fort Mason Youth Hostel while in SF (free parking, EZ walk to EVERYTHING (including cable cars) and you will feel right at home living on an Army Base). Our private room had a view of Alcatraz. Our kids LOVED hostels, as there are so many different nationalities there. The kids called them 'foster homes for college kids', we stayed in many while living in Europe (way TOO many for some in the family... (mom).(too old to enjoy co-ed showers )

If heading up through CA, look at hitting Sequioa and Yosemite (weather permitting), or just head to I-5 or coast. While I REALLY like Lassen NP, I would probably head for the coast and Redwoods. (Be sure to stop at Samoa (Eureka) and see the museum at cookhouse. I like to have breakfast there (when they are offering French Toast) (ex-logging camp / mill kitchen.. All-u-can-eat FAMILY style, LONG benches, shared serving dishes (I remember being there in 1976 and getting a WHOLE cream pie and a WHOLE Apple pie for dessert... (we were 2 STARVING motorcycle bums from Colorado) We didn't eat for 2 more days...

Crater Lake and Lava Caves will probably be too cold / snowy, so I would just go up the beautiful OR coast, and plan to come back and do inland / mountain parks in summer. You might choose to come back inland to Portland at Cannon Beach (Northern OR) there is not much ACCESSIBLE pretty coast north of there. Fort Clatsop, OR is nice, but a good history field trip while in Tacoma. (Be sure to go during Cranberry harvest (near Ocean City / Long Beach, WA)

Both Mt Hood and Mt Rainier (and Crater Lake) have beautiful Lodges built by CCC (1930's). See them every chance you get. Try to spend a weekend at Paradise Lodge (Mt Rainier ~ 1 hr from Tacoma). DO NOT miss this place danielklennert (free and directly on the way to SW entrance)

Early Fall is a great time to go to Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons, Craters of the Moon parks, as well as take a jet boat up the Snake River from Lewiston, ID.

You will be within EZ 'day-trip' reach of Olympic and North Cascades parks.
Do be prepared for trips to BC (Vancouver Island and inland) the camping can't be beat. When the kids were age 5&7 we lived a few months on Thetis Island, it was 'wilderness' paradise in many ways. Sailed / boated / ate crab and Salmon or Rock Cod nearly everyday. There were ~ 70 sea lions that came to visit daily and follow us around when sailing or in canoe or Kayak. Eagles would sit on the deck rail and taunt the indoor cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel