Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times

Advertisements

From what I've read here - I-81 seems recommended as less hectic than 95and it would work for part of our trip. Heading from I-90 (Syracuse exit) in NY to Harrisburg area and then on to Columbia, SC.

Winter being what it is, we might not stop off at Harrisburg depending on storm systems, etc. Looked like Syracuse might be a good place to get on I81South. (to I-476 S). - would another exit work better?

If we don't stop in PA - would you still suggest I81 or should we go further west on 90 to another route south?

Would like to avoid the rougher city traffic and very twisty mountain area roads if we could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
When I go north/south from GA Thru SC to NJ, most of the time I take I81, But i check the weather, and if its bad i head over to I95. I81 is not that bad but would not want to do in a snow storm, and I try to avoid doing it at night,.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Yes, I-81 is your best bet. You'll avoid all the Baltimore/DC mess that way.

Depending upon the weather, you have a couple of options:

1. (This is my favorite route) I-81 south to Roanoke, VA, then south on the I-581/US-220 bypass. I-581 ends and the road continues as US-220 down into North Carolina. A good bit of it is now 4 lane and it's heavily traveled. There aren't any long hills on it.

Just after you pass the little community of Gold Hill, NC, bear off onto NC-68. That takes you down past the airport to a junction with I-40 and bypasses having to go through Greensboro.

Take I-40 east to I-85 south to Charlotte, then I-77 south right into Columbia.

That's my own, personal preferred route if it isn't snowing through the Shenandoah Valley.

2: If weather in the Valley is a potential problem, you can cut back over to I-95 on I-66 east just past Winchester, VA over to the I-495 Beltway. Take it east or south (whichever it's marked) to I-95 south all the way down to Florence, SC, then I-20 west into Columbia.

Or, you can go on down I-81 to I-64 east, which will take you to Richmond, VA and you can get on I-95 there, whichever you prefer.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 AM

436 posts, read 954,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
From what I've read here - I-81 seems recommended as less hectic than 95and it would work for part of our trip. Heading from I-90 (Syracuse exit) in NY to Harrisburg area and then on to Columbia, SC.

Winter being what it is, we might not stop off at Harrisburg depending on storm systems, etc. Looked like Syracuse might be a good place to get on I81South. (to I-476 S). - would another exit work better?

If we don't stop in PA - would you still suggest I81 or should we go further west on 90 to another route south?

Would like to avoid the rougher city traffic and very twisty mountain area roads if we could.
Just take 81 down to 77. It's not that hard to figure out. And if the weather is bad, you will need to reconsider travel altogether. It's not like 95 isn't prone to bad weather, esp. with the last few winter seasons we've had.

Also, don't take 476. It's a toll road (until Plymouth Meeting when it becomes very congested with traffic backups common) that will nail your bank account and bring you into the BoshWash corridor, where heavy traffic and even more tolls will be collected.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 AM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times
Thank you both for the help on routes.

stillkt,
Thanks for sharing your favorite route I really appreciate that you added details about getting over to 95 if the weather becomes a problem. Figuring out how to get over to an alternate route can be difficult when you're not familar with that part of the country.

Flyer,
Might not be hard for you to figure out but I've never traveled in this particular part of the country. Further west where I have traveled, you don't have near the number of choices for getting from A to B.

Going on 476 would be if went on a stop to visit near Harrisburg. When we left there, we'd go back on 81 to travel further south to our final destination. I agree I sure wouldn't want to end up on the BoshWosh corridor.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
The only alternative route you might look into if you aren't going through Harrisburg is taking I-90 West to Erie, PA, get on I-79 South, take that into WV and exit onto US-19 South before getting on I-77 South near Beckley, WV and then taking that on down to Columbia.

You will pay tolls though on the NY Thruway and one small toll on the WV turnpike - so just taking I-81 to I-77 near Wytheville is probably your best bet - definitely avoid I-95! The only significant traffic issue you'll have to worry about is Charlotte, and as long as you time it so you aren't driving through the morning/afternoon rush hours, you should be fine. If for some reason you do hit Charlotte around say 4:30 PM, I would recommend taking I-485 (exit 19 in NC off of 77) and it will bypass downtown and you'll get back on I-77 right near the NC/SC line.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
If you can, avoid I95. Between congestion and terrible road conditions, it's a nightmare.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, I-81 is your best bet. You'll avoid all the Baltimore/DC mess that way.

Depending upon the weather, you have a couple of options:

2: If weather in the Valley is a potential problem, you can cut back over to I-95 on I-66 east just past Winchester, VA over to the I-495 Beltway. Take it east or south (whichever it's marked) to I-95 south all the way down to Florence, SC, then I-20 west into Columbia.
This is the route that I prefer to use. The only thing that I'd do differently would be to get off of I-66 at Manassas and take Rt 234 down to Dumfries.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This is the route that I prefer to use. The only thing that I'd do differently would be to get off of I-66 at Manassas and take Rt 234 down to Dumfries.

Yes, I've gone that way too and it's a good route. I just offered what I did to keep her on the interstates for simplicity's sake.

I've also used US-17 from Winchester, over Ashby's Gap to get to I-66 just to cut off some miles and for the heck of it. And, I've run 17 all the way to Fredericksburg too. Nothing wrong with that route either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel