Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,361,026 times

Advertisements

I’ve always been leery of things like priceline because they ask for my cc upfront – I’m flying from Orlando to Newark for thanksgiving (staying the 25th – 1st) and I want to start shopping now but all the specials must have completed travel by November 20th – I checked JetBlue earlier and they have two roundtrip tickets for $254 apiece – I don’t know if that’s good or not considering the holiday and all, but I don’t want to wait and see if the next crop of specials will be better than that offer and then miss out…I’m not really a seasoned flyer – any advice or websites I should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,216 times
Smile Responsible tourism, Kerala ayurveda, Visit kerala

CGH Earth is a hotel and resort chain offering responsible tourism for Kerala ayurveda and experiential holidays whose focus is on ecotourism and authentic celebrations of unique local ecologies, cultures, lifestyles, wildlife and cuisine- visit kerala for the experience of a lifetime.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 87,429 times
they charged me $44 for collision damage insurance even though i cancelled my reservation. I called them but they won't refund my money. Will have to dispute it with my credit card company. PRICELINE has the worst customer service. DON'T USE PRICELINE EVER!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,900,490 times
I have used the bidding for a trans atlantic flight and for a hotel in Manhattan. Both saved me quite a bit of money. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking to save money on your trip, it works wonders.

There are certain things to consider though, if you use it for a flight, chances are you won't be able to collect 100% (or even close to that) miles. Your hotel room will be one of the cheaper rooms and not necessarily luxury, alhtough you could upgrade if there is room available.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,602,611 times
i live in hotels, have been using priceline for years. the name your own price feature is prolly my favorite thing on the entire internet.

never understood why so many ppl bid for 4* hotels. 2 1/2-3* hotels are the best value on priceline and it isn't even close. been staying at a 2 1/2* place in the inland empire for the last few weeks, bid was $42, free full breakfast buffet, free beer at night, free laundry, free everything. the 3 1/2+* places typically charge for everything, theyre major rip offs (IMO, as a perpetual business traveller who has stayed in perhaps a thousand hotels)

rarely have to bid more than $45 to get something. in many parts of the country $35 is enough.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i live in hotels, have been using priceline for years. the name your own price feature is prolly my favorite thing on the entire internet.

never understood why so many ppl bid for 4* hotels. 2 1/2-3* hotels are the best value on priceline and it isn't even close. been staying at a 2 1/2* place in the inland empire for the last few weeks, bid was $42, free full breakfast buffet, free beer at night, free laundry, free everything. the 3 1/2+* places typically charge for everything, theyre major rip offs (IMO, as a perpetual business traveller who has stayed in perhaps a thousand hotels)

rarely have to bid more than $45 to get something. in many parts of the country $35 is enough.

It depends where you're bidding also, sometimes the only available bids are for 3.5 star+

Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM

42 posts, read 86,016 times
I personally would not bid for anything less than 3 stars. Been there done that and have gotten burned (2 1/2 stars can mean different things to different people). I normally go for 3 to 3 1/2 and have been happy.

I use Priceline name your own price all the time. I get great deals and it has allowed me to travel much more than I could if I had to pay full price for a hotel. I am not someone who looks for my hotel to pamper me. I just want a clean room and maybe an updated one. Priceline provides me that. If you are someone who MUST be at an exact location or you MUST have x,y,z amenities, then it's probably not a good fit. My experience has been the later in the evening/night you arrive, the least likely you are to get an upgraded room, exact bed choice, or updated room. You are considered a lower priority than someone paying full price or a loyalty member and I think that's fair. If I am saving a hundred bucks or so a night, I don't mind being in a room that maybe hasn't been recently painted or with a less than stellar view. I'm not traveling to hang out in my room. If you are, don't use Priceline.

Betterbidding is a good site where people post their recent wins and it can give you some strategies.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,602,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It depends where you're bidding also, sometimes the only available bids are for 3.5 star+
can't think of any zones with only 3.5* and above. i get upgraded to them against my will occasionally but i am usually shooting for something else.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
can't think of any zones with only 3.5* and above. i get upgraded to them against my will occasionally but i am usually shooting for something else.
Mumbai, Istanbul and Rio are 3 that come to mind just in cities I have looked to go to .

Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM

43 posts, read 62,458 times
I have used priceline for hotels only and have had good results. The trick is to search by star rating, going for 4 stars or resorts first. Check out each hotel's website and look on the map where they are. Then go to the name your price spot, there will be areas on a map you can bid for. The trick is to go back and find the 4 stars on the map so you'll know how many of the 4 star land in each particular area map. Also, in my experience, you'll win the bid on the cheapest of the 4 star hotels. I have bid successfully for $50 on the Hyatt in Irvine, CA, and on a golf resort in Scotsdale AZ, and $65 a night for the Marriott in Fort Collins, CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel