Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,624,998 times

Advertisements

Some people might call the police if they keep trying to call you and get no reply. For those kinds of people, just leave a message on their machine before you go saying you'll be out of town for a few days, you'll call when you get back. Common courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,533,525 times
I don't see a quetion potsed here really.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,196,400 times
I travel all over the world by myself.
I prefer to travel alone.

I'm flying to Madrid next week; I travel somewhere in Europe almost every weekend.
I've been backpacking alone; camping in the Alaskan wilderness alone. It's my preference.

I've been traveling alone since I was 18; I love it.
Enjoy yourself, but travel smart!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,241,706 times
It may not be the case for everyone, but I can see why some may want to travel alone and not tell certain family members or friends. Among some of the reasons:

*Questioning how you spend your money
* Asking you for money since "you can afford to take vacations"
* Wanting to stay in your house while you are gone
* Judging you one way or the other

From my experience, most of the people that judge, question, or ask for money and then criticize you when you do don't give them or lend them money are those that mismanage their own money, waste their money on material things they don't need and then are broke. I guess it depends on each individual circumstances and relationships.

Also, one may want to just travel alone and not worry about having someone tag along.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,032,134 times
Ok, so I read the responses, and can understand why someone wouldn't tell some friends. But why wouldn't you tell your close family? "Hey Ma, I'll be gone for x days."

Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,445,071 times
Travelling solo can be a great experience...Some of my favorite trips have been solo road trips through the Southwest or setting off on a trip through Central America alone on a seperate path from my friends. Somehow you often meet more people when travelling by yourself, as your basically forced to be sociable or risk not having a soul to chat with it. And you can go wherever you want, whenever you want, which is a very liberating experience.

But at the same time, if in my twenties and going off on my own, I would probably tell someone...maybe just a close friend or relative, just in case. Even if you're very careful about travelling, things can go wrong...And it's kind of good to have someone who's going to know that you're off on the road in case worst comes to worst.

But yeah, go for it...when you're young and good looking. Now's the time to travel. ;

Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,597,469 times
Quote:
I don't know why I want to keep these trips a secret.
I'd probably tell you to notify either one close friend or one close relative just in case. Past that you don't need to tell anyone else. I prefer not to tell nearly anyone either. I've learned from my past not to. Why? Because it leads to:" Can you bring me back a........."

Quote:
I think it may just be that I want to have something to myself that no one knows about.
But why Canada. If you want something different go to Alaska or the the Islands off of Florida.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:20 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,196,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
But why Canada. If you want something different go to Alaska or the the Islands off of Florida.
What a strange comment.

We all decide where we want to go.
For example, I don't want to travel to an island, having lived on one.

Do you really think that everyone would enjoy the same things that you do?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,221,229 times
Okay. Do you not want to tell them because they would not want you to go? I don't really understand it, it almost seems like lying to me, and what is the reason for being so secretive and deceptive? I am sure you will be fine..I just think about that hiker who went hiking alone, did not tell anyone where he was going, got stuck, and no one knew where he was...so...they could not even go look for him when he was missing...he had to cut off his arm to save himself. All because he never told anyone where he was going to be hiking that day.
I tell my family where I am all the time, no one really cares anyway. Although, at your age I did once go to my parents hometown, and did not even call them or visit them!!! Just not that kind of trip. Have fun.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM

754 posts, read 1,734,099 times
I don't know...while I have alot of friends that do this, they always at least tell a friend. As was mentioned, you don't want something to happen to you and no one even starts looking for you because no one knew where you were going.

Enjoy your trip! It's always nice to get a mental break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel