U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,653,803 times

Advertisements

Right now I work very on call and can make my own hours. I probably won't have a full time set working schedule until August, so I am trying to take advantage of doing a lot of things now that I won't have the time to do as much when I am back in the rat race.

I am a 26 year old female and don't want to tell friends or family where I am going. I would keep in contact with them with my cell phone and email, but I want them to still think I am in my apartment in San Diego.

I don't know why I want to keep these trips a secret. I think it may just be that I want to have something to myself that no one knows about.

The first trip I want to do is a road trip from San Diego to Taos. The second one is a drive from San Diego up the coast to Vancouver (but probably more Washington). I also booked an 8 day stay in Montreal and Quebec at the end of April, but people already know about that.

I have the Premier AAA card, but I don't know how to fix cars or anything. The furthest that I have ever driven solo was from Phoenix to Los Angeles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,609,323 times
Thanks for sharing with us.... You sure you're not 16?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,653,803 times
I am all 26 years as much as you are all jerk.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,574,556 times
Why do you care so much?

You seem to be making a big deal over nothing.

As long as you family is semi-normal, and not the type to break into your apartment while you are gone to throw a week long party with their crackhead friends, then I don't see what the problem is.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM

476 posts, read 1,075,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Not Telling Friends or Family you are Going on a Solo Trip?
I do this a few times a year. Though, I try to mention when I'm leaving the country.

Quote:
.... I don't know why I want to keep these trips a secret. I think it may just be that I want to have something to myself that no one knows about.
They're your plans and you're an adult. Something freeing about traveling, being whomever you like (for a weekend at least) and not required to check in with anyone from home or expected to debrief folks on your trip when you return.

Quote:
The first trip I want to do is a road trip from San Diego to Taos. The second one is a drive from San Diego up the coast to Vancouver (but probably more Washington). I also booked an 8 day stay in Montreal and Quebec at the end of April, but people already know about that. ...

I have the Premier AAA card....
There's always a risk with travel, just like there's a risk at home. Something happens, no one knows where you are and no one's expecting you... Chances are slim and I don't shy away from interesting experiences out of fear. AAA sounds prudent and you're never too far off the grid w/ cell phone, nav systems and security/traffic cameras recording your every move.

Those sound like fun trips, enjoy!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 PM

35 posts, read 88,309 times
Go for it. No one else needs to know. I go driving around on back roads sometimes and don't tell anyone. I'm sure there isn't a lot of cell service out there where I go either. However I am a little closer to home and I know my car is reliable. I wouldn't go driving if I felt anything wrong with my car. I'd love to go on longer road trips up to a couple days if I had the time and funds.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 PM

41,958 posts, read 54,683,029 times
I would let someone know, you sure wouldn't want to be one of those statistics where something bad happened in a strange place and no one would know you were there. You need to let some one you trust know that could locate you in case of an emergency. It can be a rough road out there in today's society. Just sayin'.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,131,269 times
Don't have to tell them if you don't want to but to tell someone just in case. This way, if something happens, someone knows your plan so that they can find you.

I can understand why you want to do this.

Just make, plans, prepare and make sure your car is in a good condition.

Not a female here but for you, since you will be traveling by yourself, have something like a taser /paper spray just in case. You never know when some jerks see you at a gas station and start having ideas.

WA state and Vancuver BC is beatifull!

Have Fun!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 AM

10,751 posts, read 33,522,344 times
I did something similar. My Father passed away after having a heart attack and surgery etc. It was a horrible summer because my Mother had a heart attack as well.

When the next summer rolled around, I couldn't stay in town to be reminded of it all. My parents had been in the July 4th parade and all the high points of the summer after that were reminders of what my parents and family went through.

In April I decided I was going to the UK for three months and NOT be in town for the summer. I didn't tell my family, got someone to take care of my house, lawn and animals. I got friends to take me to the airport. I gave my friend a letter for my family that they mailed for me.

In my case, they wouldn't have wanted me to go and after the assault of arguing, I would have felt like I couldn't go. So I didn't give them the opportunity. I just went.

I had a great time. I agree, I wanted to have something that was just about my daughter and I. I have pictures of my daughter in front of Windsor Castle eating Walkers Crisps and of her Down the Pub in Oxford, at the beach in Devon...so many good memories. I think that's what my Dad would have preferred we were doing rather then back in our small hometown, reliving the summer he died...

Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,008,200 times
Have you seen the movie "127 Hours"?
I would never,ever go on even an overnight trip without someone- my neighbors,friends,whatever- knowing where I was going. Maybe you're not a homeowner, but that's how we act. Have a good and safe trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel