Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:04 AM

19 posts, read 39,596 times

Advertisements

My brother booked 6 days in Prague for the end of August, and he's taking me with him.

Is this a European city that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
I know a few people that have visited, my sister went this winter she as well as everyone else I know who went said they loved the place very vibrant with plenty to do, I haven't been personally but I hope to at least for a weekend break.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Absolutely fantastic city, stunning architecture, very vibrant and lots to see and do. However in summer a tourist nightmare as half of Europe and the US have finally discovered its beauty and it is now quite expensive and virtually impossible to find peace and quiet there. I'm sure you'll love it though, it is one of the world's greatest city, if you can hop on a train to Budapest too ( really worth a visit). Enjoy, it really is world class.

Prague Tourist Information, Prague Tourist Info Czech Republic
Prague Information Service
Czech Republic - Official Website
CzechTourism - official promotion of the Czech Republic as a tourist destination
Budapest Tourism Office - Official website of Budapest : Travel to Budapest, Hungary (http://www.budapestinfo.hu/en/ - broken link)

Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM

434 posts, read 1,653,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moot View Post
My brother booked 6 days in Prague for the end of August, and he's taking me with him.

Is this a European city that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
My husband is Dutch so has traveled over most of Europe. He still goes on and on about Prague being his favorite trip ever.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:15 PM

319 posts, read 493,650 times
Very underrated place. More beautiful than either Paris or London IMHO.
If you could, check out Vienna, too. Absolutely beautiful.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:27 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,204 times
You're very lucky to be going there. Prague has more castles than any other city. Most of the city is still there from hundreds of years ago.

For a preview of your trip watch the movie XXX with Vin Diesel. .............. I know, I know, but it was filmed in Prague.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,488 times
Hi guys!

I'm Italian but I have visited Prague and Budapest. I prefered Budapest but Prague it's a city very nice

In Europe, for me, the best is Paris!!!!
More beautiful... Rome, Florence, Venice, Amsterdam, Barcelona

Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,931 times
Yes, I think Prague is the best choice! There are several centres of tourist activity. The historic city of Prague is the primary tourist attraction.
Most other cities in the country attract significant numbers of tourists from [URL=http://www.prague-hotels.org.uk/]hotels Prague[/URL], but the spa towns such as Karlovy Vary, Mariánské Lázně and FrantiÅ¡kovy Lázně are particularly popular holiday destinations.
Other popular tourist sites are the many castles and chateaux, such as those at KarlÅ¡tejn, KonopiÅ¡tě and Český Krumlov.
Away from the towns, areas as Český ráj, Å umava and the KrkonoÅ¡e Mountains attract visitors seeking outdoor pursuits.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Prague is a wonderful, romantic city and highly recommended. The city center is very compact, making it easy to walk and see. Getting lost in the small, curving side alleys around the Old Town is worthwhile, as they contain many restaurants and bars. There are a few seedier areas that cater to British Stag parties, but these are easy to avoid (unless you really want to visit strip clubs and prostitutes).

Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
We were in Prague 2 years ago in August for ten days. I have never seen so many tourists in one place in my life. Not anywhere. It was mind boggling. Prague is not such a big city and the tourist load was overwhelming.

You'll like Prague. In two or three days you can take in most of the usual tourist areas which are very beautiful. After that you should expand your exploration.

Prague has a good subway system and a good tram. One thing we loved unexpectedly was the Prague zoo. Covers 360 degrees of a hill on the outskirts of town and is gorgeous. The animals are all in natural habitats and the terrain is pastoral. Cheap entry, easy access by public transit, great way to spend an afternoon away from the sea of tourists and souvenir vendors.

Day trip to another Czech town, they are all mostly amazingly beautiful, as is the trip through the verdant Czech countryside. Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) is a great day trip. About 2 hours by bus through villages and greenery. The Prague bus station is easy to find, buses are nice, tickets are reasonable.

Don't spend the entire time in Prague. Do get out of town on at least one day trip.

Czech is not a cheap place. Take money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel