U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:56 PM

298 posts, read 879,527 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest how long you might want to vacation in the Grand Canyon area? What is there to do and see in the area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,040,504 times
What's your risk-taking quotient?

The vast majority of visitors to the Grand Canyon park, walk to the rim, look downward into the canyon, take a few pictures, get something to eat, buy a souvenir or two, and then drive away. Nothing wrong with that at all. At least they CAME to personally SEE one of the world's great natural wonders instead of just viewing a video.

However, as a veteran of the two most adventuresome ways to experience the Grand Canyon, I highly recommend that you consider "traveling outside the box" if you're able to snag a cancellation on either of these trips (both of which are so popular and limited that you usually must book months and even YEARS in advance):

1. Muleback Ride to Phantom Ranch (South Rim)
Here's an excellent description of this trek:
Our Mule Ride: 1993 and other Grand Canyon, AZ Things to Do Tips - VirtualTourist.com

2. Whitewater Float on the Colorado River (225 miles, 15 days)
Here's the company we went with and their trip options:
Arizona Raft Adventures - Grand Canyon Boating Options | Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Arizona,

Yes, both of these adventures-of-a-lifetime are spendy but take my word for it -- both are worth EVERY PENNY. You will experience the Grand Canyon as very few other humans ever have and have fantastic memories to last you a lifetime.

Riding the Class 10 rapids (virtually unrunnable but you have the option to walk around if it freaks you out) in a paddle raft at Lava Falls while screaming hysterically above the roar of the water was the best 27 seconds of my life!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 PM

6,903 posts, read 6,746,883 times
Went there in the summer, there is nice camping around I camped in a nice treed forest. Stayed only about 2 hours, just went to visitor center, looked at south rim view.

There are other options like the ones mentioned above, rafting in the river and etc.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Status: "One of many World Reknown CD Sleuths" (set 5 days ago)

23,794 posts, read 25,673,365 times
If you are going to do a round-trip hike in and out of the canyon, I would recommend that you start at the bottom. That way you'll finish with a walk down-hill, a little harder on the calves I know but still easier than the walk back up after a long day dodging falling tourists from above.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM

42,005 posts, read 54,804,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If you are going to do a round-trip hike in and out of the canyon, I would recommend that you start at the bottom. That way you'll finish with a walk down-hill, a little harder on the calves I know but still easier than the walk back up after a long day dodging falling tourists from above.
I believe that is impossible unless you spend big $$$ to have a helicopter fly you down first.

Round trip first must have a Forest Dept permit and then you start at the top, go down, trod back up,. Or you can take the mule rides down and back.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:15 AM

24,629 posts, read 26,573,697 times
I've hiked the canyon and camped near Phantom Ranch. Bright Angel Trail isn't too hard. At least hike down about a kilometer. The sunrise or sunset over the rocks is delightful.

Are you driving? Where are you starting.
Arizona is pretty spectacular and/or interesting in many places.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,040,504 times
Oh, I should have explained that the rapids on the Colorado River ARE rated up to a Class 10, according to our guides on the trip.

Here's a video of Lava Falls, a Class 10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjYBUat_lCc

Old 02-26-2011, 12:32 PM

3,442 posts, read 6,049,936 times
While you are in that part of AZ besure to plan at least one day and night in Sedona. It is totally gorgeous. Take a jeep tour while there and visit Oak Creek Canyon. If you have time take a train excursion on the Verder River Canyon. It's about a 4 hour trip. Wish I were going right now!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:50 PM

3,726 posts, read 5,719,974 times
If it is at all an option, suggest the North Rim. !000 feet higher, far less crowded than the South Rim. Of all the visitors to the Canyon, only an estimated 10% choose the NR, an attraction in itself. Isolated and harder to get to, requires some travel planning, but worth the effort. Drawback is that reliable access is usually only May to October because of snow road closures.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:02 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,221,423 times
How about a little more info? Such as, number and ages of people in your group. Would you like to do a short walk into the canyon, or just sight-see from the top? What about a longer hike? When are you planning to go? Staying in a hotel, camping, or RV? How about a train ride? Just the National Park section, or would you consider the part of the canyon on Native American land?
There are several options depending on your physical capabilities, budget and preferences. The Canyon is in a pretty isolated area. Most activities take place on the South Rim and are outdoors. Here is a website for the National Park section of the Canyon (actually a pretty small part of the whole Canyon)

Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel