Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,357,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Do you guys want to be in NY or Hawaii? Or even San Diego? I'd pick Hawaii north shore and then San Diego. New York a place you'd want to see once or twice, and then that's it.
What a crazy comparison. Hawaii has something completely different to offer, it's a completely different animal all together. I personally love Hawaii, but would never live there, I'd get an island fever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,168,178 times
Max's Mama, I don't know. Kauai is awfully to peaceful and beautiful to get island fever. Maui, on the other hand, I can understand, and the same goes for Oahu except for North Shore.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Max's Mama, I don't know. Kauai is awfully to peaceful and beautiful to get island fever. Maui, on the other hand, I can understand, and the same goes for Oahu except for North Shore.
People who love NY lifestyle would simply be miserable in Kauai, no matter how beautiful and peaceful it is. Isn't it just the matter of preference? I love NY, but got tired of it after 17 years, so we've moved...however, I would never say that it's a horrible dangerous dirty place, because I would be lying. Yes, some areas are still bad, but overall the city is much safer now, definitely a great place to go and visit as a tourist.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:14 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,168,178 times
Max's Mama, I agree with you that NY is a place to go as tourists, and it's safer for now. You still can be mugged in middle of Manhattan anytime. Don't be complacent.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:42 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times
Quote:
burgler, nope, Chicago never gets boring and the same goes for LA. San Diego always fresh and a whole lot to do like beaches, La Jolla, Gaslamp, world's biggest zoo, Mission Beach, shopping and so much to do. In those cities, you can never be bored. How about Las Vegas? It's so much fun. New York, boring!
I spent ONE full day exploring Vegas and went home satisfied. Don't feel the need to even return to the strip. I have lived my entire life in So Cal and, while it has lots to offer, I am very much considering a trip to NYC as it has always been a dream of mine as it is for the OP. We get it that you don't like NYC but what is the purpose of you even continually posting your negativity about the NYC? Don't be such a killjoy!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I see no point to going to the Empire State Building if you're not taking the elevator up. I think the Chrysler Building is a lot more awesome, especially if you love art deco decor.

If you can make it there, I suggest Lombardi's Pizza (Little Italy area). It was the first pizza place that ever opened there, and it was soooo good!

Friday sounds like a very busy day ~ hope you can do it all.

I went to Manhattan solo for 10 days in '08. It wasn't perfect but I had a lot of fun. If you're lucky you may just find an outdoor market somewhere, as I did a couple of times. I usually rode busses instead of subways. Lots slower but I saw the city more.

Hope you have a blast.
I was considering going solo to NYC myself in a few months myself ... What do you mean about it not being perfect? What were the pros and cons of traveling there solo? Thanks for the input.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Not everyone likes "peaceful" and "beautiful" places ... I have never visited Hawaii and am in no rush as I prefer urban areas ... To each his own.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Max's Mama, I agree with you that NY is a place to go as tourists, and it's safer for now. You still can be mugged in middle of Manhattan anytime. Don't be complacent.
If you think that you can't get mugged in Kauai, you have another thing coming.
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)

Crime is everywhere, NY, California, Hawaii, you name it. That's just the world we live in, but you can't keep on pushing your point that NY is this dangerous place where people just get mugged left and right on every street corner.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post

Crime is everywhere, NY, California, Hawaii, you name it. That's just the world we live in, but you can't keep on pushing your point that NY is this dangerous place where people just get mugged left and right on every street corner.
Again statistically NYC is one of the safest big cities in the USA. Muggings in NYC are not commonplace nowadays.
It is perfectly fine for a solo traveler to visit NYC although one should always take precautions when traveling in an unfamiliar place.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,408,316 times
Quote:
Chava61, I wish that was true, but it's not. Try to hang out in the alley for a while, and you'll get mugged or hurt. Walk around 2am on 7 ave, you'll most likely be a victim of a crime. There are alot of thugs in Manhattan. It's just not as bad or advertised as the 1970's and 80's. I was there then and now as a visitor or briefly living there. It's still bad, and I wish it wasn't. Hey, the city is dirty with garbage bags piling up just about every night. It's just branded as safe and improved city, but beneath it, it's still bad but not as bad as it was in the past. It could change in a hurry, and maybe it already has.
NYC IS NOT BAD. Stop scaring the tourists. If you think NYC is bad, you better not go to any other cities in the Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel