Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:47 AM

182 posts, read 825,051 times

Advertisements

I would suggest a cruise. More bang for your buck because it's all inclusive except for booze generally.
The dollar is so weak right now in Euope vs the Euro, everything is expensive unless you do some sort of inclusive trip.
Good luck and congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
More bang for you buck and it's the most biologically diverse country in the world: Costa Rica!! My wife and I went there for our honeymoon September '06 and spent approx. $3500 for 12 days!!! $3000 will get ya'll 8-9 days. Volcanoes, 2 oceans, beautiful beaches, volcanic hot springs, tropical jungles, monkeys, coati mundies, 100s of species birds, butterflies, mammals, reptiles, and more things to do then you can imagine.

Why go to the same stale places EVERYONE goes too? Costa Rica is amazing and you'll never regret. In fact, you'll not be able to wait to go back! We wanted to move down there!

If you PM, I'll send you our honeymoon pics.
I second the motion for Costa Rica! You can get there by direct flight from Charlotte in 4 hours, it is very affordable and the people there like Americans. And even though it is a Spanish-speaking country, the vast majority of folks know some English too so you can communicate easily. One surprise for me was that Costa Rica has many cattle ranches. The steaks and other cuts of beef we had there were to die for, so tender and fresh. We never had a bad meal. If you are the adventurous types you can actually even stay within a mile of the Arenal Volcano and listen to it rumble off and on all day And be sure you do one of the jungle zip lines - woo hoo!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I second the motion for Costa Rica! You can get there by direct flight from Charlotte in 4 hours, it is very affordable and the people there like Americans. And even though it is a Spanish-speaking country, the vast majority of folks know some English too so you can communicate easily. One surprise for me was that Costa Rica has many cattle ranches. The steaks and other cuts of beef we had there were to die for, so tender and fresh. We never had a bad meal. If you are the adventurous types you can actually even stay within a mile of the Arenal Volcano and listen to it rumble off and on all day And be sure you do one of the jungle zip lines - woo hoo!
You're talkin' my language lady! Yes on the English, yes on liking Americans, yes on food, yes on ziplines (Arenal Volcano - Monteverde - Sky Trek, zip lines - Sky Walk, hanging bridges - Sky Tram, aerial tram- Snake Tour --- Costa Rica Sky Adventures --- in Arenal), and yes on Arenal Volcano, especially at night you can see the lava exploding!

Hey, did you go to Tabacon Hot Springs? Now THAT'S some relaxation, and we had our best dinner there as well.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You're talkin' my language lady! Yes on the English, yes on liking Americans, yes on food, yes on ziplines (Arenal Volcano - Monteverde - Sky Trek, zip lines - Sky Walk, hanging bridges - Sky Tram, aerial tram- Snake Tour --- Costa Rica Sky Adventures --- in Arenal), and yes on Arenal Volcano, especially at night you can see the lava exploding!

Hey, did you go to Tabacon Hot Springs? Now THAT'S some relaxation, and we had our best dinner there as well.
Seems like great minds DO think alike Loved the Tabacon hot springs though we stayed at the Linda Vista where we were able to lie in bed at night and watch the lava flow - so cool! For the op, this is a very romantic spot. All rooms face the volcano with big sliding glass doors which you can literally lay in bed and look out of. There are no televisions, no interruptions by the real world

Old 07-25-2007, 02:19 PM

34 posts, read 150,378 times
My wife and I went to the British Virgin Islands last April. It was amazing and very laid back. Our favorite was Jost Van ****. We stayed on Tortola. Great weather in April. Check out traveltalkonline for ideas and info.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:24 PM

99 posts, read 286,108 times
thanks for the input so far!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
Have you thought about a cruise?

That was one of our options. We ended up going to Hong Kong for under 3K, 1week trip. It wasn't much of a "honeymoon" per say but it was definitely worth it and a lot of fun.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Charlotte, you might be able to get into a Sandals in Jamaica for that amount. They are running a sale now. I'm a travel agent so receive all the specials. I know you can get into many All-Inclusived in Punta Cana, DR for that amout, also Cancun, Mexico.
Air from Charlotte is easy to obtain. I had to change there from Nashville to get to Jamaica in May.
A cruise may be another option.
Diane G

Old 07-26-2007, 07:43 PM

27,342 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Though passports could be a blockade, my son in law took my daughter to the Bahamas when they got married. My other son in law has yet to take my other daughter someplace besides Walmart. When I got married a zillion years ago, it was a couple of years before we could go anywhere but we went to Disneyland. Maybe you could discuss where you two might like to go and see what options there may be?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
Are you more the night-club party type, the spend all day at the beach type or the adventure exploration type? Or a combination of all 3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel