U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,121,028 times

Advertisements

I just came home from a wonderful trip to the MD eastern shore. Everything was great except for the motel which I found very disappointing. The rooms at this motel where breeding grounds for mosquitos. When I complained they moved me to another room that had even more mosquitos in it. I was unable to get another motel without advance reservations so I had to leave early. While fending off the misquitos all night I realized that the room was dimly lit by 5W light bulbs or so it seemed. The A/C was grossly underpowered and the TV in the first room had a snowy picture. There was a small refrigerator struggling to work, no microwave or coffee maker. I thought, and all this for $80 a night. I wondered how much I should have to pay for a decent motel room. Once I paid $110 for a room that they insisted was nonsmoking with the walls and drapes yellowed from smoke. A rock would have made a better bed. I paid $120 for a room that was comfortable only to have a teenage cheer leading team gather in the hallway outside my room until very late. When I called the front desk their answer was, “but what can we do.” I am beginning to think I would get a better night’s rest at a homeless shelter.
Anyone have any recommendations for a good motel?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,955,629 times
Default Motels

Sorry to hear about your Motel Hell. I would like to suggest you check with AAA (if you don't belong, it is worth it to join). They have books with all the motels (worth staying in), prices, amenities, and ratings.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:36 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,779,337 times
When we came to Aiken to poke around we spent the first trip at a well known national chain for $89 off peak rate/night. The a/c spewed mildew, the towels smelled like they had been left in a wet lump to dry, and the room was almost as clean as the trunk of my car. But hey, the had a really nice breakfast bar.

Our second trip we stayed at a discount motel (still a well known national chain) for $62/night. Room was spotless, had free long distance, free pizza on Friday night, and a comperable free breakfast bar.

The difference? The first one was a franchise.

Look for a hotel/motel that offers a "your stay is free if you are not happy" type of warranty. There are a few that have them. Try to avoid stand alone independant type motels. Often they will have a better rate in the area, but sacrifice quality.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM

6,045 posts, read 22,868,207 times
tripadvisor.com is, IMHO, the absolute best source for hotel/motel reviews. Also you can post your own review for this awful place so other people are warned.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:52 PM

273 posts, read 1,590,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
tripadvisor.com is, IMHO, the absolute best source for hotel/motel reviews. Also you can post your own review for this awful place so other people are warned.
I always check tripadvisor to see what people have to say. It has saved me from staying in some questionable areas. It's very useful when you're visiting a place you've never been before.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:33 PM

23,635 posts, read 43,692,601 times
Default Spend a bit more, get a great room

Sorry to hear your motel was a bummer.

We've had great luck at Country Inn & Suites, Hampton Inns, Hilton Homewood Suites. All outstanding. Usually $85-125 a night.

We stayed at Hilton Homewood Suites here in Colorado Springs when house-hunting last year. They have a great breakfast every day, often with eggs, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurt, as well as cereal/mike/juice and fat pills. They offer a light dinner Mon-Thur nites, with beer & wine. The food is free if you stay there. They did a cookout one night with burgers. Just off the front desk is a shoppette, including individual bottles of beer & wine at reasonable prices. Not bad for $89 a nite.

We tend to avoid Holiday Inns, one thing they try to have at every one is a bar, which draws in a whole other kind of clientele. I like my beer and wine, but not to the extent that I'm going to keep others up with my noise. The quality varies so much from one Holiday Inn to the next that each one is a crap shoot as to age, quality, cleanliness, management, etc.

Smart motels these days don't try to compete with bars & restaurants, thus they don't have them like Holiday Inn. Instead, there is usually a wealth of eateries within a short drive or a short walk across the blacktop. These are the sort of places you may want to seek out when you travel. You may pay a bit more, but I think it's worth it.

Horror story: We were at a Holiday Inn in Erie, PA, one Fall night @1978 or so. They hosted a Polish wedding plus a Catholic High School re-union the night we stayed. Wow. Drunk revelers were rowdy until wee hours, throwing trashcans off balconies, etc.

Funny story: One of my railroad history conventions stayed at a Holiday Inn in the Laurel, MD area. Full bar/restaurant. Thursday night was some sort of singles night with a DJ or small band, can't recall. We had to go through that seating area to get to our meeting room. What a sight it was. At almost every table, there was seated one fat balding white male, alone at his table, with a drink in front of him, waiting for all the "babes" to show up. Any minute now! None of these dudes was smiling, no one tapped their feet in time to the music. No women in sight. No one dancing. Dreadful. Felt sorry for them and for our society, and even sorrier for the women who had this lot of losers to pick from. But I felt like laughing at the same time - Hollywood could not have concocted a more dismal scene of loserdom than this room.

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-25-2006 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: brevity

Old 08-25-2006, 11:58 PM

212 posts, read 760,416 times
Mike,
What are fat pills?
LORI

Old 08-26-2006, 01:16 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,081,231 times
What part of MD were you looking in? If you are talking about the Ocean City area, I can recommend a few and also a few websites. If it's anywhere else, listen to the other opinions because I don't know much else about MD

However, the AAA advice was a good one, we use that.

As quoted by Mike from Back East, "We've had great luck at Country Inn & Suites, Hampton Inns, Hilton Homewood Suites. All outstanding. Usually $85-125 a night." I agree. Also, Best Westerns aren't bad (depending on where you're looking). Mariott's good. I like Hampton Inn a lot. Lastly, I don't know if they have them down there but Embassy Suites was another good one.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:14 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,572,746 times
Talking Marriott!

Sorry I'm partial - I work for them! But they ARE the biggest hotel chain & when they ***** up, they'll go out of their way to make up for it!

We can't say s c r e w? What about if we're talking about a lightbulb?!

Old 08-26-2006, 04:40 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,121,028 times
Thanks to all who replied!
I will check tripadvisor in the future.
Good post Mike. I like your stories.
BTW, another problem was that when I decided I wanted out of this motel I could not get into any other motel on that short of notice. Everything was booked in advanced.
Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel