Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:03 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times

Advertisements

sorry, no I'm not. I'm British. just living here for 20 months and trying to see as much as I can this side of the globe whilst we are here as we don't know where we will live next....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
sorry, no I'm not. I'm British. just living here for 20 months and trying to see as much as I can this side of the globe whilst we are here as we don't know where we will live next....
Then you'll have no issues with U.S. customs.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not customs, but the Treasury and State Departments might be interested. I don't know what reporting requirements (if any) the credit card companies have to report financial transactions or attempted transactions with nations that are on the State Department's "no business" list. In any case, you probably don't want to leave a paper trail of illegal financial transactions. But if the OP isn't a U.S. citizen (don't know if she is or not?) then it doesn't matter.
Thanks for the clarification ... That would make sense. Fortunately, I have no plans to travel to Cuba as there's lots of other places I have yet to see. Too complicated for a US citizen to travel to a country with a US Embargo and just not worth the hassle for me.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then you'll have no issues with U.S. customs.
I hope not... I get interrogated enough as it is..... I've been in and out 3 times in 4 months and it takes about 20 mins of questions.... I've got a visa in my passport with a photo on it and all the paperwork and still they are like 'where do you live' trying to trick me by asking where I work......... yadda yadda yadda.....

Old 03-12-2011, 01:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Do you know people who have been to Cuba before? What is it like traveling there? Do people usually have good or bad things to say?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
It's only the Treasury Department that cares. When the State Department prohibited travel to Cuba, the Supreme Court, assuming for the moment that Americans are free, ruled that Americans outside the USA could go where they pleased. Jesse Helms and his crowd of bigots, not to be dismayed, turned it over to the Treasury Department to prohibit spending money in Cuba's economy. Americans are free to go to Cuba, as long as they don't give the Cuban people (whom we care so much about the wellbeing of) anything of sufficient value to improve the quality of their lives.

It was illegal, in the 60's, for American stamp collectors to be in possession of even used postage stamps from Cuba. It was a violation of Treasury Department rules.

I once received a letter, mis-addressed, delivered to my house, from a sender in Cuba, with a Cuban stamp on it. I phone the post office, and informed them that unlawful contraband, in plain view, was knowingly placed in my mailbox by an official government agent of the Unites States of America. Smelling entrapment, I asked what to do with it. They said "bring it down to the post office, and we will take it and see to it that it is properly destroyed according to our procedureal manual." Apparently, to avert some scheming Cuban from parlaying this windfall into something to eat.

Life in America.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-12-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's only the Treasury Department that cares. When the State Department prohibited travel to Cuba, the Supreme Court, assuming for the moment that Americans are free, ruled that Americans outside the USA could go where they pleased. Jesse Helms and his crowd of bigots, not to be dismayed, turned it over to the Treasury Department to prohibit spending money in Cuba's economy. Americans are free to go to Cuba, as long as they don't give the Cuban people (whom we care so much about the wellbeing of) anything of sufficient value to improve the quality of their lives.

It was illegal, in the 60's, for American stamp collectors to be in possession of even used postage stamps from Cuba. It was a violation of Treasury Department rules.
That's not entirely true, it is illegal for an American to accept goods and services for free in Cuba.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Do you know people who have been to Cuba before? What is it like traveling there? Do people usually have good or bad things to say?
According to my friend, it's a beautiful country but very impoverished as the communistic rations are inadequate for sustaining families. My friend stayed with relatives and was fluent in Spanish. She just wanted to see her family and learn more about the homeland of her parents. Mass communication is controlled by the government so there are lots of political propaganda all around the country.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
I just checked Montreal - Havana cuba and through Air Canada its 750 dollars, that will probably be cheaper than flying 2 separate flights out of the USA to Mexico or the Caribbean and then another leg to cuba.
Just checking out Faircompare here I found a round trip Mtl to Havana for $367. Plus if you did stop over in Montreal for a day or so it's just such an aewsome city to visit.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I have a friend - Italian who is in love with S America and goes to Cuba for a week every year ( for the last 5 years) before he visits a S American country. My sister and brother in Law spent their honeymoon there and loved it. My aunt and Uncle also had a fabulous trip there......
Its all a bit relative to where you have travelled before and what you are used to I guess. We've travelled loads through mainland China (oppressed and controlled), India, Thailand and Cambodia backpacking ( poor and in cheap hotels) Laos, Tibet, Kathmandu, Burma as well as 'rich' countries Australia, Japan, most of Europe etc etc
I think Cuba is one of those countries that gets more and more touristy as the years go be and I'd like to be there before the 'My sister went to Cuba and all I got was this t-shirt' shops appear...... (If they are not already there

If we knew we would be moving to Europe after out stint in the US I would wait but if we end up in Asia again its a bit far and there are still a few countries I want to go to there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel