U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 PM

146 posts, read 311,433 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

Just wondering where many of you get your travel research done. Do you have any go-to websites you use? Or do you use a travel agent?

I did a search in this forum but didn't see any mention of flyertalk.com. For me, it's the 'single source of truth' for all things travel. I find out about all the great deals, promotions, etc there. My job pays for all my travel but when I do take vacations - 28 weekday days (so about 6 weeks) provided by job each year - I don't spend a dime on either the airfare or hotels because of flyertalk. At least I haven't for the past three years. And with enough miles and hotel points saved for the next 5-6 years for a vacation for a family of 2-3, I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. It's where I first heard mention of couchsurfing. But now I use it for more 'mainstream' travel options.

Anyway, just like I tell my family, invest 1-2 hours in learning the site and you'll be travel wiser for life.

Do you folks have any great sites you use?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:37 AM

13,394 posts, read 43,190,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post
Hey all -

Just wondering where many of you get your travel research done. Do you have any go-to websites you use? Or do you use a travel agent?

I did a search in this forum but didn't see any mention of flyertalk.com. For me, it's the 'single source of truth' for all things travel. I find out about all the great deals, promotions, etc there. My job pays for all my travel but when I do take vacations - 28 weekday days (so about 6 weeks) provided by job each year - I don't spend a dime on either the airfare or hotels because of flyertalk. At least I haven't for the past three years. And with enough miles and hotel points saved for the next 5-6 years for a vacation for a family of 2-3, I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. It's where I first heard mention of couchsurfing. But now I use it for more 'mainstream' travel options.

Anyway, just like I tell my family, invest 1-2 hours in learning the site and you'll be travel wiser for life.

Do you folks have any great sites you use?
I do use Flyertalk, too, as well, but do not have a job that pays for all my travel (and mileage.)

I learned about couchsurfing from my kids. We have a couple of surfers staying with us next weekend, and have surfed in France.

I also use Airfarewatchdog and Eurotrip.com. Eurotrip has been around for over 10 years and the mods are seasoned travelers, the cheap flights and transportation sections are a wealth of information.

Our kids are grown, but we still do the backpacking thing, though we would probably be more properly referred to as flashpackers (backpackers, traveling on a budget, but not necessarily living on a shoestring).

Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 AM

13,038 posts, read 23,543,781 times
I never use a travel agent and tend to do most of my research online via certain websites ," Kayak" and "Expedia" for flights , for hotels and B&Bs as well as for ideas of what to see and do I tend to use the local tourism boards websites ( always booking directly with the hotel/ B&B when I have found what I want), checking for reviews on sites like "Tripadvisor" but most of my holiday planning as such is done with books , especially the "Rough guides"and Lonely Planet" and also travel literature from writers who have gone where I am going.

We do mostly home exchanges ( and car exchanges) so my planning is often a little different than most people I suspect.

This year because the price of flights have gone up so much I actually tried dozens of different websites but Kayak consistently came up with the cheapest flights.

We are doing a month long exchange to Berkeley but will want to tour around a bit so at the moment I am perusing the various regional districts' tourism boards ( High Sierras etc... ). My rough guide rarely lets me down as well.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 PM

146 posts, read 311,433 times
Couple more:

1. Believe it or not, Bing's flight price predictor is pretty darn accurate. They bought out the firm that patented that technology. I've used it with great success in the past. It essentially tells you the probability of the price for a particular route increasing / decreasing in the future. Can definitely help people plan the "when" of when to buy.

2. Yelp. I look up all my free museums / sculpture parks / nightlife spots, etc on Yelp before traveling to a new city where I don't know anyone. Great resource.

Tripadvisor, as another posted mentioned above = wonderful as well.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 AM

I like Yelp.

Yelp reminds me of what Tripadvisor used to be like.
I don't think all of the reviews on Tripadvisor are genuine, while at the same time, the people that complain on Tripadvisor often seem ridiculously picky.

It's too bad because I really used to like Tripadvisor, before it became so commercialized and mercenary.

I like this page on Kayak.

I also like the layout on Hipmunk, as well as the inter-European selections on Whichbudget.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,426,916 times
This is very helpful- I am a longtime tripadvisor fan (probably like 10 years or so) but I have to agree that it is less reliable than it used to be. I still find the forum part extremely legit and if you have a specific question or hotel to inquire about you will get good info there. The reviews seem to have been compromised a bit and are harder to sift through (all the first time reviewers; half saying the hotel was super terrific and the other half saying it was a nightmare). But again on the forums you can see long time posters giving valid feedback. I have used kayak as well for flgihts, and find an assortment of the sites for review. I guess I will have to check out yelp more.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,414,791 times
I use travelocity or southwest.com for flights and I like expedia's hotel reviews and often cross-reference tripadvisor. When I find a hotel/flight I like I usually try to book direct and find specific deals to that hotel. Depending on the hotel (sometimes it's tricky) I can usually tell who's crazy on tripadvisor! I also use walkscore.com (which is linked to yelp, very handy). I'm a big lonely planet fan too. I'll have to check out Rough Guides, flyertalk, airwatchdog and eurotrip haven't used them yet. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM

I too go to Lonely Planet, too, sometimes. Even though the Thorn Tree can be kind of prickly, there is a lot of information there.

I guess I basically turn up at all of the places at one time or another (Fodor's, Bootsnall, Slow Travel etc).
But the sites that meet my needs the best and are easiest to navigate are the ones I use the most.

For guidebooks, I use LP, Rough Guide, Let's Go, Eyewitness and a host of others. I like Let's Go quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel