Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:12 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,004 times

Advertisements

Can someone advise how to get the best flight deals for flights within the US.

I am I will need to fly out of NY airports but am planning lots of weekend trips to see as much as we can over the next year.... are sites like Expedia good to use ?? or individual airlines sites ?? who are good low cost airlines to use?

Thank you for all info in advance !!

ooh and if anyone replying has any idea when the school holidays are and wants to share that info - I want to avoid travel in school holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:22 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Try KAYAK - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Cheap Travel Deals - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once .

School holidays in the USA differ between different areas and are even different in different cities/towns near each other. But in general most schools have vacation on American Federal holidays.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Can someone advise how to get the best flight deals for flights within the US.

I am I will need to fly out of NY airports but am planning lots of weekend trips to see as much as we can over the next year.... are sites like Expedia good to use ?? or individual airlines sites ?? who are good low cost airlines to use?

Thank you for all info in advance !!

ooh and if anyone replying has any idea when the school holidays are and wants to share that info - I want to avoid travel in school holidays
March and early April are usually when schools are out for Spring Breaks so you may wish to avoid traveling during this time.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks.... do you guys also get long holidays in the summer like in Eurpoe where they typically get 6/7 weeks end July - beg Sept ??

Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks.... do you guys also get long holidays in the summer like in Eurpoe where they typically get 6/7 weeks end July - beg Sept ??
Summer breaks often begin in late May to early June for colleges/universities and late June for K12. Most colleges/universities and K12 schools begin the new year in late August to early September. If you are looking to avoid summer crowds, I would avoid late June to late August.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Summer breaks often begin in late May to early June for colleges/universities and late June for K12. Most colleges/universities and K12 schools begin the new year in late August to early September. If you are looking to avoid summer crowds, I would avoid late June to late August.
great thank you. We have a full 2 months July and Aug here with European visitors so travel for me is out then anyway...... am hoping to escape in June though.... but to Cuba so I guess school holidays won't affect that too much...

Old 03-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
great thank you. We have a full 2 months July and Aug here with European visitors so travel for me is out then anyway...... am hoping to escape in June though.... but to Cuba so I guess school holidays won't affect that too much...
Hopefully not. Out of curiosity, why did you guys pick Cuba? My friend did a trip to Cuba two years ago during the time that direct flights went out from Miami but not sure if they are still doing that program....

Old 03-12-2011, 12:26 PM

My friend booked and is going from Europe so I thought I would meet up with them for a week or so......and I haven't been... so why not ?? Havana looks very interesting.....
Another a few of my friends have been and had great trips.

Am just playing around with the best way to get there... maybe Nassau or Montreal...that way I can do a stopover and put another tick in the box for another location..... trying to avoid Cancun as I was there about 10 years ago and it was possible one of the worst holidays I ever had....so I wouldn't want to do a stopover there. Though admittedly it was US school break at the time. the hotel was filled with american 18-20 year olds literally falling over drunk... we booked it because it was a last minute break from the UK and only cost about $700 incl flights... so I guess I got what I paid for !!!

I will pretty much go anywhere I haven't been to.... I saw loads of Asia whilst living there so now we are this side of the world want to see as much this side of things as possible. I plan to visit lots of the places my husband does business trips to.... as long as I can get cheap flights

Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Spring Break is earlier in the south. This week, here in south Texas. Somewhat later in the midwest, which are still buried in snow. The last week of March, in northern Michigan.

So there is about a month, in which there could be spring breakers just about anywhere.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:48 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
In NYC, the public schools have a one week winter break in February (the week starting with President's Day) and a one week spring break usually around Holy Week/Easter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel