U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM

544 posts, read 421,524 times

Advertisements

So, hubby & I are expecting our first this coming May 27th and I was looking online for a summer rental to go down the shore for a week vacation. Looking to do that by end of August, so the baby will be around 3 months old.

Hubby thinks I'm nuts to even entertain idea of a vacation when we don't know what to expect with a newborn, sleeping pattern not established by our trip, etc etc? Mind you, we're not going far. Still in the same state by NJ shore approx 2 hours away from home.

Thoughts? would you consider a week long trip with a 3 month old as first time parents? We didn't have a vacation last year as we decided to renovate 2 rooms in our house, so now i feel antsy for a fun trip.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 PM

9,093 posts, read 17,463,792 times
I wouldn't go to the shore with them and that's not even my bias against NJ

3 month olds aren't exactly beach ready ..... sunscreen isn't recommended until at least 6 months (can use light amounts if the sun absolutely cannot be avoided), their ability to self cool by persperation is still in early development and with developing immune systems places full of crowdy, sweaty people with limited emphasis on hygeine can be a little more risky

if there is a larger group coming where someone would be fine spending time with the sleeping baby in the house while you can go out and about it could work .... otherwise you'll be trading off shifts or just sitting in the house together

seems like it would be a hot, humid, sticky mess of a trip

every kid will be different and I know getting a good rental will take some advance planning .... maybe even to the point where you wont have an idea of temperment, car tolerance, etc

we didn't travel when ours was that young (her first long trip was closer to the 5-6 month mark) .... but we have had friends who were able to do it - but those trips were more to see family than to kick back

at 3 months you should have a base routine going and be able to settle in a little bit more ... but it's still tough to enjoy a destination and give the kid what they need

I would recommend having that one last getaway before the baby comes ..... do something where you and the hubby can enjoy some time together and enjoy each other before your focal point & lives change in a very drastic way
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel