U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:56 PM

232 posts, read 939,609 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever been ? Tell me about your experiences and where we should stay if we go.
Also how far is it from the airport to the resorts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:58 PM

4,787 posts, read 4,880,891 times
Default just visited for a day

lots of bars on the windows in Belize City ...... but the country side is beautiful.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:12 PM

738 posts, read 670,390 times
Agreed. Belize City is not vacation wonderland. You'll either want to go to one of the lodges on a barrier island (turneffe flats lodge or turneffe island lodge) or stay at Marlon Brando's place in the jungle. Turneffe Island Lodge I can speak to. I had a fantastic time there, great flats fishing, diving, food, etc. If you go, get one of the guides to take you to the "old fishing village". After about a 2 hour boat ride we came upon an island with a father and 2 sons. The father still wore a loin cloth (no, I 'm not kidding) and the sons had two pices of clothing to their name. They fishes using ancient fish traps made out of pushing long sticks into the sand in a spiral pattern. We brought back huge pottery shards hundreds of years old.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,100,393 times
We flew into the mainland, then took an island-hopper plane to Ambergris Caye. Not many all-inclusive resorts there, but the local food is WONDERFUL! Many places offer the use of bicycles if you stay there, and you can find inexpensive rooms with kitchenettes within an easy walk of the main part of town.Unfortunately, I hear they replaced the hand-pulled ferry with a bridge to get across the "cut" to the north part of the island. We stayed at Ramon's Village, which was very neat (thatch roof with a resident gecko) but I would stay somewhere less expensive next time. Walking down the beach,you pass hotel, bar, dive shop, restaurant, school etc. I would recommend an oceanside room, as the electricity went out one night and the cool ocean breeze was great. Best snorkeling we ever did, went manatee watching,to the Lamanai Mayan ruins, shark-ray alley, rented a golf cart and drove to the north end of the island where the Time-share properties are (awesome little bar up that way, hangs out over the ocean). Oh and there are crocodiles under the water tower on the bay side, the local kids take chicken down there to throw to them.No fences! Best tamales I ever had from the guy with a box on his bicycle. Supposed to be great diving also, although we don't. And if you bring me back some One Barrel Rum, I will be your friend for life-very hard to get in the states. Most people speak English, there are lots of evening bonfires on the beach and live music. Beach is not really good for swimming close to town, too shallow and reefy but take some tortillas to Ramon's pier and snorkel under the pier and feed the thousands of fish there. We loved it and want to go back. I could go on and on..I enjoyed being close to the locals, not stuck on a humungous resort miles from everyone. Any thing in particular you want to know?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:44 AM

Just how far is it from the airport ? My family hates long drives after a long flight. We mostly want to go to see Mayan ruins and I of course will be diving.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM

How far is it to WHERE from the airport? Our island hopper plane met us at the International airport, then it was a 45 minute flight (I think) to the island. The airport is in the middle of the only town on the island, and from one end to the other is only a couple hours drive by golf cart. Most hotels would be about a 15 minute drive from the airfield. The small plane flew close enough that we could see manatees and spotted rays in the water. Awesome!

Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 PM

I guess I meant from the airport to where ever the resorts are.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:01 PM

anyone else that can offer any suggestions ?

Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM

Since most of the hotels are located on the islands off the coast, or scattered around the inland, I would start by deciding which area you want to stay in. Then launch an Internet search for that area's hotels. Most websites will have a map showing distance from the International airport, or a contact e-mail so you can ask them directly. It's not a big country, but a stay on the islands will require either a small plane or ferry ride once you get there. Some of the resorts on the mainland are located way back in the jungle, off main roads. It's not a very long flight from the U.S to start with. It's great to have such a neat place so close to home (as compared to Hawaii or Aruba).

Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Here's a pretty good website to check out:

Map of Belize (http://www.centralamerica.com/belize/maps/belizemap.htm - broken link)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel