Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM

573 posts, read 966,747 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone has driven alone from NJ or NY to southern California? I have plotted this out on google maps and their reccomendation is the I40.

How long did it take?

How many hours did you drive each day?

What are the best hotels to stay overnight?

Which highways to avoid.

Any Speed traps or areas you should not stop in for any reason?

where are the best pit stops for gas, food and restrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
Done it many times and I -40 is the best route ( you will want to shoot yourself if you take i-70 through Kansas and eastern Colorado) But I-70 through Western Colorado and Utah is a nice payoff.

Never had a problem with speed traps. Traveled about 72 mph the entire trip. Had to call the police about an overly aggressive trucker in Oklahoma.

Stops: Pittsburgh, Wright Patterson Airforce Museum, St. Louis, Amarillo, Grand Canyon. I like Microtels: clean and efficient. In the summer you may want to stop at hotels with pools.

Food: Its touristy, but you need to stop at the Big Texan in Amarillo. Other than that i try to find the little mom and pop joints with the blue hair waitress that calls you "hon". And make sure you stop at at least one Waffle House for local flavor.

You can do it in 4 days but thats a push of 14 -15 hour days. I try to

Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 PM

608 posts, read 1,341,551 times
Taking I-76 to I-70 to St. Louis isn't that bad once winter is over, and especially if you drive on a weekend to avoid traffic.

The WORST and I mean worst stretch is if you decide to get on I-44 in St. Louis to get to I-40. Yes it is the most logical way to go, however it is mainly 2 lanes on old concrete that is very twisting. Which isn't bad until the semi is about a foot away from you. There are hardly any shoulders, and its nerve racking. Then once you think its over, you get on the overpriced OK turnpike and go through Tulsa, the armpit of the Mid West.

A much better way is to take I-70 to I-71 to I-65 to I-40. You avoid that I-44, its less traveled, and always seemed safer to me. If your going to San Diego take I-30 to I-10 and avoid Oklahoma (I hate that state)

Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 PM

4,781 posts, read 10,530,495 times
I've done it 6 times on cross country motorcycle rides...though not exactly straight from NJ/NY to LA: lots of side trips, wandering around CO, AZ, UT, etc.

We usually rolled out I-70 west until CO, then diverted, because each trip was vacay/experience not just 'getting to' the Left Coast. We have taken 40, if the trip was earlier in season and we needed to 'creep into' the Rockies as opposed to 'sliding in' on 70 in CO, as snow can happen in any month west of the Ike Tunnel, at elevation.

Have never had a bad experience from locals, or anyone on the road, and every cop we saw or passed, just waved back, esp in the big wide open western states.

Never travelled with reservations, just cooped in any motel within walking distance of a decent local restaurant that served medicinal bevs. No need of specific tips, imo. Get in, go, see some stuff, and enjoy the trip!
GL, mD

Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 AM

9,295 posts, read 16,576,057 times
We always stay at Homewood Suites where available. They include a full free hot breakfast and on several nights a week a nice light dinner. Great if you're traveling with kids.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,466,335 times
WARNING: Indiana law enforcement has been turned into "Banditos with Badges!!! If you drive through IN on ANY road, watch your speed and be aware that those Hoosiers have a few tricks up their sleeves:

- They frequently and, IMHO, raise and lower speed limits in and near construction zones to confuse drivers.

- They designate long "construction zones" where only a few small projects are going so that they can collect "enhanced" work zone violations. Example: On I-70 in Eastern IN, there's an 11 mile "construction zone" with only two small projects in work.

- They frequently post three lane highway segments with wide shoulders at low speeds i.e. 55.

- ESPECIALLY watch your speed in the Indianapolis area.

- If you are pulling a trailer or driving a truck larger than a pickup, stay out of the left lane, ESPECIALLY in Indianapolis; $150 is pretty much the base ticket fine in the Hoosier...

Other than that, have a great trip!

Old 02-12-2017, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 8,098 times
I leaving New Jersey April 2 and heading to San Diego. What is the safest, fastest route that time of year for a female driving alone?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:52 AM

3,602 posts, read 7,850,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rteri0216 View Post
I leaving New Jersey April 2 and heading to San Diego. What is the safest, fastest route that time of year for a female driving alone?
Safest and fastest means staying on the interstates. In April everthing should be clear although there is probably a very small chance of snow if you take I70 through the Rockies. I40 is reasonable unless you want to go through the heart of Texas.

Safe? Don't drive too long, don't drive into the night, make reservations ahead of time at a decent name-brand hotel chain, stop for gas and food at the big gas/food places just off the highway.

Keep in mind you are driving west, try to stop for the evening before the sun gets too close to the horizon.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,646,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rteri0216 View Post
Are you trying to see anything along the way, or are you just trying to get to San Diego as fast as you can?

Old 02-15-2017, 12:34 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,733,289 times
OK, as an Interstate geek, I will offer this route as the most direct:

Leave NJ on I-78. Connect with I-81 in PA, then I-68 in West Virginia. Continue on I-79 also in WV, eventually getting to I-64. Then you stay on I-64 all the way to St. Louis, MO. At St. Louis, get on I-44 and take it through to Oklahoma City. From there hop on to I-40 and you are good to go all the way to I-15 in California. Follow I-15 or I-215 straight into San Diego and avoid LA completely. (There is a toll in Oklahoma on this route, but not major).

Motels are frequent. For value, I like Super 8 and/or Days Inn. Nothing fancy, but nice and clean, and a minimal complimentary breakfast. Best to reserve a few weeks out for best rates, but you will be stuck with the bill if you don't show. Depending on your stamina of driving, (based on an average 9 hour driving day), I would choose Charleston, WV for the first night, then St. Louis for second night, then Oklahoma City third, moving on to Albuquerque fourth, and then you could push it into San Diego (a long haul), or spend a fifth night in somewhere around Needles or Barstow, CA. Of course, it all depends on your tolerance for driving. It certainly can be done in 4 nights comfortably, and I know some die-hards who do it in 2-3 nights, but I don't recommend.

April should not be a weather concern, except for thunderstorms which are frequent in the spring in the middle sections of the US.

Good luck!

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-15-2017 at 01:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel