Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times

Advertisements

I had a week's holiday in Scotland a few years ago. The first and last days were gorgeous, the days in between . . . it poured. BUT it was absolutely lovely. Firstly, you cannot go to Scotland not expect it to rain and secondly it kept most of the other tourists away. We just got out of the car with our coats and umbrellas and explored Eilean Donan, Loch Ness, Isle of Skye (pity the poor bugger who has to stand at the ferry terminal in sideways rain wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes!) and warmed up with coffee and a mixed grill whenever we got the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I often read (and experience first hand) that many people on vacation will stay inside when it is raining or when its extremely hot or cold.

I think that is foolish myself as I'm severely limiting myself to having a good time--especially when I've spend a lot of my hard earned $$ on a vacation.

As long as I have proper clothing to deal with the inclimate weather (which I certainly would pack with me) I see no reason to alter my plans as long as such weather isn't a safety hazard (eg. walking beach or hiking during a lightning storm or camping out near a river about to flood). Those scenarios are a completely different ball of wax.

What are your thoughts about this?? Just curious.
I agree ... It rained a bit while I was in Seattle but I still went out and did things as I was only there a few days. I usually try to plan my vacations around ideal weather conditions to avoid extreme heat or cold, rainy weather.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
My dad once said the main reason buildings have roofs over them is so you can spend time looking around inside, whether it's a store, or a museum or even a Walmart, no matter what the weather.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I live in Oregon, and I know a LOT of people who go to the coast and stay in their rooms. They usually know in advance that it'll be crappy out but they go, anyway, but they still feel like theyre "away" from their real lives.

I don't do this. For me it would be considered a waste of my money ~ I'd rather put that money towards a vacation somewhere else. And because I don't like to spend my playtime off in crappy weather, I never go to the Oregon coast. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel