Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

I'm going to the US in June, and am wondering whether to either go with the tour I am on, which will miss out on these two cities, or go on another tour which will include these two and San Diego for an extra $800. Being interested in music I've always wanted to see Memphis and Nashville, but apart from this is there a lot to see and do in these two cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
Hard to say as you'll have to take into account the total context of the tour - also as someone from outside of the country some of the american history components may not really strike your interests

My wife & I split a week between Nashville & Memphis and had a great time. We didn't have the benefits/constraints of a tour though and it was independent travel.

On the music side there is a ton to see and a lot that will eat up your time just with that - from the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville to watching musicians in WC Handy park in Memphis, checking out the Stax Museum, Sun Records, etc .... plus the live venues in both cities and the country music hall of fame if you are into such things

We also ventured out of Nashville a little bit and stopped at the George Dickel whiskey distillary as I'm a big whiskey fan ........ we also went to the Stone River civil war battlefield .... there are a lot of historical places in/around Nashville - especially as it pertains to our civil war ..... also nearby is the old plantation home from US President Andrew Jackson (the hermitage)

A lot of old plantation homes, things of that nature (travellers rest, belle meade, belmont mansion, etc)

The Cheekwood Botanical Gardens were very nice with an open grounds and old mansion that also houses some art

In memphis the civil rights history museum was very well done - it's set at the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King Jr was assasinated (a very important figure in our history) ..... the memphis zoo also has a panda exhibit if you are into such things (my wife is)

The food is really good in both places

All things being equal on the tour - if the only difference is $800 and the ability to see Memphis, Nashville & SD - I think it would be money well spent .... especially if you have interest in music - that alone can eat up a ton of time

Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,240 times
Er, ELVIS PRESLEY! Ever heard of him? He had this big house just outside the city of Memphis, not sure what it's called, Grace-something?

Actually Graceland really is quite something to see and even if you don't like Elvis's music you should check it out. Beale Street is fun to walk down in the evening for something to eat and live music venues.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:01 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Well I would describe Memphis as more rock & roll and Nashville as more country. I personally think Memphis is more tourist friendly however (although a grittier tougher town with a certain violent side). Plus, you got BBQ in Memphis.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Personally, there is a lot to do in Nashville other than country music. In fact, I would say that there is about as much NON-country music in Nashville as country music. These include a number of artists originally from Memphis.

Off the beaten track attractions include:

Parthenon
The Hermitage
Lane's Auto Museum

Try Nashville specials like Hot Spicy Chickens at Prince's and Boltons.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, there is a lot to do in Nashville other than country music. In fact, I would say that there is about as much NON-country music in Nashville as country music. These include a number of artists originally from Memphis.

Off the beaten track attractions include:

Parthenon
The Hermitage
Lane's Auto Museum

Try Nashville specials like Hot Spicy Chickens at Prince's and Boltons.

Yes, but don't go to the Parthenon after dark.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm going to the US in June, and am wondering whether to either go with the tour I am on, which will miss out on these two cities, or go on another tour which will include these two and San Diego for an extra $800. Being interested in music I've always wanted to see Memphis and Nashville, but apart from this is there a lot to see and do in these two cities?
Trimac - GO! I highly recommend it. Will definitely go back too

Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Food, specifically ribs in Memphis.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Er, ELVIS PRESLEY! Ever heard of him? He had this big house just outside the city of Memphis, not sure what it's called, Grace-something?

Actually Graceland really is quite something to see and even if you don't like Elvis's music you should check it out. Beale Street is fun to walk down in the evening for something to eat and live music venues.
Sorry for the dumb question but is Graceland a museum or a themed park, like Dollywood?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Trimac, I googled Nashville tourism and found a site where you can order a free book of things to see in and around Nashville. Nashville Visitors Guide | Tourist or Vacation Guide for Nashville | VisitMusicCity.com There's a nice museum on Tennessee history right down town. My wife and I went to Ft. Nashboro, where Nashville was founded along the Cumberland River. Not exactly the best part of town though.
Don't know a lot about Memphis. Might google it and find out something. Last time I was there I went with a friend who was adopting a retired racing greyhound from the racetracks across the Mississippi River in Arkansas. Watched a few races the night before bringing the dog home. Kennel owner called them a 48 MPH couch potato. lol

Chatteress, Graceland was Elvis Presley's home. Elvis Presley Blvd, where the house is, has been more or less turned into a carnival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel