Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM

20 posts, read 45,163 times

Advertisements

Thanks for those answers. I will have to avoid Canada altogether, then. For the record, I was informed by a Canadian lawyer that, for one thousand dollars, they can write a letter that I can present to Canadian officials, and that this letter will have the effect of "legally pre-screening" me so that any raised eybrows on their side won't raise quite so high. The letter is entirely dependent on my verbal assertions of 'what' my 'criminal' past is, and that an FBI charge sheet/record would help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default glad you posted this I have a question

about visiting Canada

I have a Disorderly Conduct Violation from NY 15 years ago. This is a violation only and is not a misdemeanor or a felony in NY. My record was sealed under NY state law in 1997 (Fingerprints removed from the NY State Criminal Database and expunged from the FBI)

Once I spoke to the Canadian Consulate briefly and they told me that there is no such thing as a non-criminal violation, and that all convictions show up in the FBI datatase if you want to visit Canada upon entry

Just to be sure I sent my fingerprints in to the FBI to check my record and my fingerprint card was returned to me with a "no arrest record found"

so if i went to visit Canada with my fingerprints supposedly expunged from the FBI, would they still show up in their system when i arrived at the border?

how does this work? FBI tells me once they're expunged, they're gone

Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Those kind of records usually only go back ten years. I have two DUI convictions from the '90s, and easily have been into Canada 10 times since then. You should have no problems!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Good for you but... talking to border patorl last summer. I asked what the time period was for something like a DUI. A friend wanted to drive down AK to WA with me. Had one 11 years ago. They said there was no time period. It was completly up to the agent at the moment attitude if they wanted to make it an issue or not. Even if you pay the queens ransom.

As a past poster said on the this forum. They drove RV up to AK from states. On the way back home they denied entry and had to ship RV back to states and fly.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
This experience is going back to 2004 and was not *my* experience, but that of someone I knew at the time.

He was flying from NYC to Montreal. He had been convicted of insider trading and had spent time in prison for it. He got into the country without a problem.

Your experience might differ, of course, but I'm just relating his experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel