Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM

20 posts, read 45,159 times

Advertisements

Canada has a policy of discriminating against Americans and others who have criminal or civil convictions on their records, even small infractions like DUI's and such.
How does this affect someone who is not intending to stay in Canada, and flying "through" Canada, on a layover international flight to another country? The best answer I have so far is vague about the procedure, and I need to know specifically if Canada detains, or deports people who fit their criterion of "inadmissible".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 PM

710 posts, read 3,391,647 times
My first inclination is to say, "their country, their rules" ... but to answer your question directly, one doesn't pass through immigration while transiting an airport during an international trip, so your criminal record wouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Normally I would agree, but don't you pre-clear immigration for all Canadian bound flights in the US before you even board?

I know you pre-clear US bound flights from most Canadian cities, I just can't recall the outbound into Canada.

If you do pre-clear, you need to find alternate flights.

And I agree, their country, their rules. For the record, the US has the same policies, a lot of people have to apply for visa waivers to get into the US because of DUI's and other offenses.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Normally I would agree, but don't you pre-clear immigration for all Canadian bound flights in the US before you even board?
I have never cleared Canadian immigration in the US when outbound to Canada, though your mileage may vary.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
All Canadian Customs and Immigration is done at port of entry, not on the departure side. If you're transiting, there likely will be no issues.

That being said, the officers have a great deal of discretion, and walking in with an attitude will not get you very far, and could potentially lead to a turn-around.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Traveling to Canada

Entering Canada With A Criminal Record | RecordGone.com

Entering Canada • U.S. Consular Services in Canada (http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/enter_canada.asp - broken link)

Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 45,159 times
Thanks for the feedback! I have a few more questions, and forgive me if I sound like an air travel newbie--I am one
First of all, I will be travelling "from" Mexico, so I wonder if that changes things? Second I don't even know what it means to "pre-clear immigration". What is the process?
Third, How and where do I "apply for visa waivers"? Do they grant me the right to pass through Canada on an international flight, where I have been "pre-cleared" by another country?
And lastly, for mikeyyc, or anyone else who can answer, what does the procedure for "Canadian Customs and Immigration is done at port of entry, not on the departure side" look like?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
I have a DUI. If Canada wants to make entry difficult, then I will go elsewhere. There are lots of other countries I would rather visit than Canada.

About 1.5 million Americans are arrested for drunk driving each year.

Lots of lost potential tourism revenue.

BTW, the US has the same requirements for Canadians.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoes View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I have a few more questions, and forgive me if I sound like an air travel newbie--I am one
First of all, I will be travelling "from" Mexico, so I wonder if that changes things? Second I don't even know what it means to "pre-clear immigration". What is the process?
Third, How and where do I "apply for visa waivers"? Do they grant me the right to pass through Canada on an international flight, where I have been "pre-cleared" by another country?
And lastly, for mikeyyc, or anyone else who can answer, what does the procedure for "Canadian Customs and Immigration is done at port of entry, not on the departure side" look like?
I am only familiar with US Customs and pre-clearing...

Pre-clearing immigration only happens in certain locations where there is a high volume of US citizens flowing through. For example, many US citizens go to Aruba, so when a US citizen leaves Aruba, they go through the US Customs process at the Aruba airport before they hop on the plane back to the US. When you land in the US, you are free to go as you've already gone through the process. I have also pre-cleared US Customs in Calgary, so when I landed in Chicago on a Calgary to Chicago flight, I de-boarded the plane and was free to go without waiting in the customs line. Most locations you have to land in the US then go through customs.

By customs/immigration being done at "port of entry," it just means you have not been pre-cleared at your departure location. For example, when I fly from the UK back to the US, I land in the US, get off of the plane, then head to the customs/immigration line (aka the port of entry in the US). That means I am not going through US customs at my departure point (the UK) but at my point of entry into my destination country (the US).

I am not familiar with visas, as I am based in the US and fly on a US passport. Hopefully this helps you out a little!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Exactly what Mels said. You get off the plane and then go through customs and immigration. The US often has customs and immigration stationed abroad so that you can clear before getting on your plane. The primary ease with that, is that when you land, you land at a US domestic gate and just walk out and lessen the workload at some of the larger hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel