Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:53 PM

776 posts, read 1,664,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Switzerland & Austria (with a quick stop in Liechtenstein!)
Yep those are at the top of my list too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 PM

37 posts, read 66,200 times
Right now, I'd like to go to Belgium and Netherlands, two countries I've never visited. They're close together and Schiphol has good flight connections to the U.S. Amsterdam is a great world city, Rotterdam has crazy architecture, and Brussels is the capitol of Europe. I'd like to stop in Antwerp, a pretty big city, too.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,299,712 times
come to Belgium, it's great because I'm there!!
ha ha ha just kidding but there's plenty to do and lots of history for those interested...I recommend Bruges, Antwerp, Brussels of course...most can be done in a day each if you kind of pick out ahead of time what you want to see

Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
Default I really am a museum buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem5 View Post
Right now, I'd like to go to Belgium and Netherlands, two countries I've never visited. They're close together and Schiphol has good flight connections to the U.S. Amsterdam is a great world city, Rotterdam has crazy architecture, and Brussels is the capitol of Europe. I'd like to stop in Antwerp, a pretty big city, too.
I think Belgium is one of the best kept secrets in all of Europe!
Don't forget to try waffles, sprouts (in season)

Brussels has numerous museums (around 80), I especially enjoyed a Magritte exhibit.
Frites (pomme frites, pommes, french fries) are from Belgium; I believe Brussels. There are numerous sauces and they are just scrumptuous.
The city center is breathtaking. The Guild Halls line the square and the architecture will leave you breathless. They create a carpet of flowers yearly. Brussels' Flower Carpet (http://www.flowercarpet.be/site/main.php?lg=en - broken link)

The beers are amazing.

Antwerp, a short train ride from Brussels is not to be missed. The home of Peter Paul Reubens (you can visit his home) and the center of the diamond industry. Think architecture and coffee shops.

Brugges is more than lovely. See yourself meandering down a side street and turning a corner into a divine town square. Flags flying in the breeze. City of Bruges,pictures,photos of Bruges city centre,pictures,Bruges,images of Bruges,image,bild,bilder
The canals and chocolate shops are worth the trip.

And Maggie is there.

The Netherlands is much more than Amsterdam. I'm not trying to malign A'dam at all; it's a true delight. The Van Gogh and Rembrandt Museums are a must. Multi-media Melkweg is worth a shot; concerts; strolling the canals and the red light district; the beauty of the trainstation architecture; the most narrow restaurant ... it's been one of my favorite cities for decades.

Last time I visited the Netherlands, I didn't even stop by.

I live about 7-8 hours driving from the Netherlands. A few times a year I drive to Gouda for cheese; to Haarlem for a jazz festival; Rotterdam for museums and architecture (and parking tickets); to the town of Delft; den Haag; and to see some friends. This year, I'm going to Edam for cheese, as well.
There's a nice campground outside of Amsterdam that I enjoy. The bus to town is about 1 km away.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM

415 posts, read 447,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There's also the option of Ryanair, Germanwings, and other cheap airlines.
It might be cheaper for you to travel by train... petrol prices are €1.60+ per liter.
Not really. I'm trying to find something to get to Germany ( Berlin or Munich ) and Ryan Air or Germanwings don't fly this route. The cheap airlines have limited routes. Train might be cheaper, but it's not like Europe is the size of Rhode Island, where you could get by train anywhere in a reasonable time. Not many people want to sit 8, 9, 10 or more hours in a train.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
Not really. I'm trying to find something to get to Germany ( Berlin or Munich ) and Ryan Air or Germanwings don't fly this route. The cheap airlines have limited routes. Train might be cheaper, but it's not like Europe is the size of Rhode Island, where you could get by train anywhere in a reasonable time. Not many people want to sit 8, 9, 10 or more hours in a train.
I have no clue on any specifics as I'm not very familiar with europe, but I do know that Lufthansa usually has pretty good prices and they should fly to just about any german city

Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have no clue on any specifics as I'm not very familiar with europe, but I do know that Lufthansa usually has pretty good prices and they should fly to just about any german city
Much more expensive than the cheap airlines. Probably close to 200 Euros. Germanwings would charge 60-70, but they don't do my desired route.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM

728 posts, read 1,669,145 times
The UK and Germany. I day dream of spending a week or so exploring the English/Scott/Welsh countryside.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
RyanAir flies into Memmingen (west Munich). Depends on where you're traveling from.
Fluglinien, die nach München fliegen
Air Berlin and German Wings both fly into Munich.

The cheaper airlines aren't always at main airports, they're sometimes in smaller airports outside of the town.
I have found from my traveling in Europe, that it's sometimes faster to train travel.
If you have to get to the airport; be there at least 1 hour in advance, are an hour or so outside of where you want to be, have to travel to the town, etc. that it can be just as easy and less stressful and expensive just to take the train. There are frequently night train options that are good. You save the hotel expense for that night and arrive rested in the morning.
I find that my trips to Paris are much more comfortable on a night train.
YMMV

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM

I checked the website and the flight schedule, and there's nothing from Paris to Munich. Munich didn't show up in the list on either website.They fly to Munich from other destinations, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel