Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I'd like to ask a question. In the near future I will be moving from a hard wired desktop computer to a laptop. Like the OP I will be new to this WIFI. I know where I can pick up the free WIFI, McDonald's, my motel room etc.

This is my question. What do you do if you have to use your on-line banking like bill pay or check your credit card account? I will be taking a vacation this winter and while I'm away I will want to BRIEFLY check my credit card and my banking. Is there a way to safely do this without getting on-line robbed?
Well first off, when you are connected to a public wifi connection make sure you are not sharing any folders or files on that network. When you login to those sites, make sure when you are done that you close your browser.

What OS are you using? You might get specialized help if we knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 AM

503 posts, read 1,204,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Well first off, when you are connected to a public wifi connection make sure you are not sharing any folders or files on that network. When you login to those sites, make sure when you are done that you close your browser.

What OS are you using? You might get specialized help if we knew that.
When I buy the laptop it will be windows 8 I assume. I prefer Firefox.
I do know to shut off file sharing.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
My stepson, who is a truck driver, has one of those personal hot spots and he says it works really well, no matter where he is, and it is private. It's like a little modem that you hook the computer to. The cost, to me, doesn't seem too expensive for the convenience of it.

I don't remember what it is called, but I see it advertised on TV. I would think it would be well worth the cost if you do a lot of traveling.

Some one here will know what it is called and volunteer the name of it.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
When I buy the laptop it will be windows 8 I assume. I prefer Firefox.
I do know to shut off file sharing.
Good! I don't know anything about Win8 so anything I tell you is almost certainly going to be a little different on Win8. I'm on Win7.

When you connect to a wifi network at say McDonald's (and others) you have to accept terms & conditions to use the connection. If you don't see it simply close your browser and restart it and it should come up. I may have some additional pointers in a few days after I attempt this!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Chicago Midway wanted something like $7.95/ day for wifi access. Pass.
On the other hand, Denver International Airport offers completely free wifi access.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
T-Mobile has a $30 unlimited internet monthly plan, it's 5gb @ 4G speed than the rest at their (fairly fast) 3G.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:01 PM

I just got an iPhone 4 and just found out that I can use it as a wifi hotspot. Apparently all I have to do is call Verizon and have them turn it on! As far as I can tell it doesn't cost anything to do it either; but I haven't made that call yet so who knows what they'll tell me. If you have a smartphone you might be able to do this too!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
On the other hand, Denver International Airport offers completely free wifi access.
Good thing... considering how much time I get STUCK there... I will admit, flying east of the missouri river is pretty poor for free airport internet. (and clean bathrooms). I use AUS and SAT and am glad they offer free wifi.

Of course there are applications and devices that find you Free WIFI while driving up and down the streets.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,031 times
There are a lot of good suggestions here, including McDonalds and Panera Bread. Also, using your cell phone as a mobile hot spot can be a real life saver if you are somewhere with no WiFi available.

One point I would add, is that some hotels and hotel chains may advertise WiFi but not do a great job with it. I have had good luck with some but horrid luck with others. My personal experience with B. Western has been very, very poor as far as their WiFi service goes.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:56 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
One point I would add, is that some hotels and hotel chains may advertise WiFi but not do a great job with it. I have had good luck with some but horrid luck with others. My personal experience with B. Western has been very, very poor as far as their WiFi service goes.
Best Western is a loose organization of independent hotels. They have VERY LOOSE standards to carry their label. Some of the hotels are really TOP RATE places; others are well past their prime motels with outdoor entrances.

Due to this, I can easily believe that some properties offer WiFi and others don't. When in doubt, call they property before making a reseervation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel